What's new

HELP with HK AVR335 (1 Viewer)

Razz2o4

Agent
Real Name
Josh Rasmussen
The title says it. I have an AVR 335 and am just not happy with the sound. I bought it a year and a half ago on Ebay as a recon for 375. The unit itself works pretty good, but am just not happy with the power of it. I am currently running the HTIB setup with the speakers that would normally come with that reciever as well.

I am looking to get an entire setup that has a bit more power. I want to upgrade the powersource first, then I plan on upgrading speakers a few months later. I am currently looking at going to a Swan diva setup of the Diva 6.1, C3 and the the larger dipole's as well. My biggest question would be what do you guys sugguest for an amp. I am noticing that anytime I want to get some volume out of my current system I am running at about -20to -15. Maybe that is normal someone chime in here. I grew up with an old school HK stereo reciver with 501's that would really crank. I don't get that out of this, but I am not comepletely expecting that as the HK speakers are mainly built for HT. Any insite would help. Thanks!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Depending on the size of your listening area, your HK should not be the problem. I suggest you replace the speakers first. I previously had a 325 and absolutely loved it.

Did you setup your speakers with and SPL meter? Or even the MIC on the remote (not very good, imho)?

Razz2o4

Agent
Real Name
Josh Rasmussen
Well, maybe I should get the Swans first. I have considered upgrading to the outlaw but maybe I will hold off.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Is this the speaker setup you have (or similar HK system)? If so, my friend has that same setup. It sounds nice and adequately powerful for his room where the back wall is about 7 feet from the front speakers, but I would not expect great performance from that speaker set in a bigger room. So I agree with David - the problem most likely lies with the speakers instead of the receiver.

What are the room dimensions? That is an important factor to consider when choosing speakers.

Do you know anybody else with good bookshelf speakers that could maybe bring them over to listen to on your system? That might give you a chance to hear what the receiver can do with good sized speaker drivers, rather than the small drivers in satellite speakers. A good sub will also greatly help in bringing power and impact to music and movies at louder volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks