What's new

Stephen Chow's latest flick - Kung Fu Hustle (1 Viewer)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Just came across this website:

Official Kung Fu Hustle

Looks fun. Here is hoping that Columbia doesn't screw it up. For American release. The trailers are subbed which is good. Let's hope that it will be uncut. Also is it possible for ANY American studio when they bring over a kung fu flick to NOT use that TIRED, OLD, OVERUSED, PIECE OF CRAP song "Kung Fu Fighting"?!? I am so sick of that f-ing song.

--Ian

Kung Fu Hustle is highly entertaining. I managed to catch it this past September at the Toronto Film Festival. Sadly enough there was only one screening. According to the Film Fest Group the second screening was cancelled because the print was damaged.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Columbia treats foreign films just fine, as far as I know. MiramAXE is the only offender that I know of.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

I am not sure who exactly is releasing the flick. Columbia's name is all over the site and Sony Picture Classics has it on their site as well. The only release I was disappointed with from Sony Pictures Classics was their edited Brother from Beat Takeshi.

Columbia has screwed up a few Jet Li flicks on DVD. New Legend Of Shaolin (Legend of Red Dragon by Columbia), Hitman (Contract Killer here) and High Risk (Meltdown here) all were retitled and only released dubbed. Not the best Jet Li flicks in the world but if they at least had the original language and true subs I would have bought them. Instead I am stuck with the HK releases which are non-anamorphic and have crappy subs.

--Ian

At Toronto the Sony Pictures Classic ID blue screen opened the film, so it is quite possible I saw the version planned for domestic release; it was subtitled. But who knows? Three or four years ago the Festival had the uncut/unaltered Shaolin Soccer and we all know what Miramax did to that.

Derek

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Oooooh, a new Stephen Chow flick...I really need to find out how to stay up to date with Chinese movies. I'm still just watching House of the Flying Daggers this week.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I was not the biggest fan of this movie, I thought that Shaolin Soccer was much better. The first half of the movie is wonderful, but it felt to me that the second half was from a different film! I love Stephen Chow and have a bunch of his older stuff on disc from China, but KFH didn't live up it's promise in my eyes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Shawn,
have you seen Shaolin Soccer? If you liked Kung Pow you'll positively die laughing at this! :laugh:

As for the new movie, can't wait to see it. Shaolin Soccer was one of the most original and utterly hysterical films I had seen in awhile, Stephen Chow instantly won a new fan after that film. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I bought the REgion 3 DVD when it was released last month and i loved it. I will hit it in the theater since it looks like it will be subbed and uncut. I have pretty much everything that Stephen Chow has done and while it wasn't as good as previous flicks, it is still a whole lot of fun. Hopefully it will do well enough so that maybe a decent studio will pick up his earlier films and give them proper releases here in the states. Most of the HK dvds that are out there are pretty crappy as far as quality goes.

--Ian

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm waiting on the R3 DVD to be delivered. I haven't seen it yet but loved Shaolin Soccer. It looks like there are quite a few actos in common between the two films, judging by the trailer. I'm glad people seem to be enjoying it. Can't wait to give it a spin!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Kung Fu Hustle at the theater this weekend, and it was absoulutely hilarious! I just may have to give Shaolin Soccer a viewing on DVD.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Since Columbia does edit for the rating, can anybody confirm if the following is still in the cut that's playing in theaters?
Shadow of cat getting cut in half and blood splattering on wall

Decaptitated body falling and head dropping nearby

Stephen Chow's face getting beaten into the floor for the same duration as on the Region 3 DVD.

I think this got an R but I figured if anything was cut it would be one of these scenes.

Matt

Sonnyc

Grip
I've just seen this one on DVD last night and I laughed so hard. Some of the scenes are so outrageously "Stephen Chow" funny.

[edit to add]

The DVD I saw has the Columbia logo and it has all the scenes above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks