What's new

Steely Dan Gaucho DVD-A = No Audio (1 Viewer)

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the new Steely Dan Gaucho DVD-Audio. Popped it into my Pioneer DV-563A, selected the surround mix and... nothing. Disc is spinning, display is counting up from zero for each of the tracks. Went through all the connections and setup of my receiver and verified that all is set up correctly. Popped in some other DVD-A titles and they all work fine.

Does anyone else have this yet? Does it work for you?

:frowning:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
There has been more then one complaint about your Pioneer player having problems spinning some DVD-A discs, especially some of the newer released discs. These same discs play fine in other players. It looks like Pioneer needs to issue a firmware update of some sort at this point.

BradleyOlson

Auditioning
Bob, what to do is to call the Pioneer Support line at 1-800-421-1404 and follow the touchtone instructions and you will talk to a customer service representative. Report the problem, the engineering department will get a copy of the software and they will determine if it is a DVD-A problem or a firmware problem. Canadians who have the same player call 1-877-283-5901 and the same instructions apply.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Most of the complaints have centered around WB and v1.1 Spec authoring on titles.

Gaucho is on Universal, but I haven't yet gotten a copy as my local "mass market" emporium didn't have it displayed last night.

Cheers,

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Thanks for the number Brad....I just got off the phone with Pioneer and reported the problem. The tech told me that they were aware of the Warner problem but Gaucho is a new one. He told me that it will be a month (mid April)before they decide what to do. I suggest us owners of the 563a call Warners and Universial and complain. For me this is a nightmare...Gaucho is in my top ten list and I bought the SACD but it is cracked/unplayable.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

The only problem with that approach is that the Warner and Universal discs in question play perfectly fine on almost every other DVD-A player. This leads me to believe that it is a problem on Pioneer's end. Pioneer needs to step up to the plate and either offer revised firmware or refunds.

J

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

Realistically speaking, it is unlikely Pioneer will offer refunds.

I agree that firmware upgrades should be provided to address the issue, but I'm not exactly in charge at Pioneer ;)

Cheers,

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brad!

Called Pioneer and told them what was up. The rep also told me that it would take a month to figure out the problem. When I get home from work tonight I will hook up my Panasonic RP82 and see if it plays on that. I'll post the reults later.

:D

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

You are probably right John. When dealing with Pioneer Elite items, Pioneer usually provides exceptional service, many times offering full refunds/returns. When dealing with non-elite electronics, many time the buyer is screwed.

J

BradleyOlson

Auditioning
You'd think that Pioneer would treat its customer service equally no matter if one has an Elite product or a midline product.

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator
My Panasonic RP82 plays Gaucho. So it's the Pioneer DV-563A has the problem. Called customer service again and told them. They took all my info and will call me back when their engineers test it.

;)

KrisM

Second Unit
I hope you guys have better luck with Pioneer than I did. I had problems with a Pioneer CD Recorder about a year ago and Pioneer was nothing but a pain in the ass to deal with. Absolutely no concept of customer support at all.
For this reason I will never buy a Pioneer product again. Won't even consider it. And it's too bad because I'm not yet DVD-A capable and the 563A is a player I would have considered. I also need a new head unit for my truck stereo.

Regards
KrisM

gregD

Second Unit
Hopefully, this is at worst a flaw that can be resolved via firmware... virtually all companies go through this as gear has become increasingly complex while at the same time forced to the low bidder in Asia for manufacturing.

It's actually kind of amazing that we have access to a $150 prog-scan universal player to begin with.

I too had a pretty crappy Pioneer service experience (then-new DVL-919 had a difficult intermittent problem)... they were inflexible about repeated visits to their miserable 'authorized' repair facility before I finally got a replacement (which worked perfectly).

Not to influence anyone one way or the other, but I'm still inclined to stick with the Pio's... 3 out of 4 units (all non-Elite) have been flawless over the years, and as noted, the replaced combi-player works great.

I've got the 563A also (box states mfr date of 9/03), and am keeping my fingers crossed... the closest thing I've got to a Warner DVD-A is Steely Dan Everything Must Go, on Reprise, which has been playing back fine with no problems.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I have the same problem with Gaucho on my 563A -- any information anyone gets from Pioneer, please post it here. Thanks.

Carson E

Agent
Steely Dan Gaucho DVD-Audio???
I've never seen it in DVD-Audio. My version is SACD and the only other version is DTS not DVD-A.
Cant find it in DVD-A. Has it been released on both SACD and now DVD-A?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Correct. This latest remaster was done entirely in 24/96 PCM. The earlier released SACD was made from these new PCM "masters". It has now been released on DVD-A by Universal. With the DVD-A, you are getting the new masters without any PCM to DSD conversions which can alter the sound. Stereo and surround tracks are the same, but the DVD-A adds lyrics a photo gallery and some other not so important goodies.

Being a big Dan fan I already picked up the SACD when it was first released. The sound quality is top notch on the SACD, but probably even better on the DVD-A. I am still on the fence about picking up the DVD-A simply because I rather put my money to other Hi-res titles out there before buying repeats (that and my SACD front end is slightly better than my DVD-A front end, so any sound quality differences will be hardly noticeable).

J

neil wilkes

Auditioning
Same problem with The Who's Tommy Deluxe DVD-A.
No audio in Surround or stereo.

And I have just had the player swapped over for one with the alleged firmware update.

Pioneer are really extracting the urine on this one.
Here in the UK you have to speak to a service engneer, and you pay the service engineer for the call too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks