What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Status of Shirley Temple Films (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Would anyone know the status/condition of her films in regard to blu ray releases ? It seems strange that some Deanna Durbin films are being released but nothing from Shirley Temple.
Disney owns most of them. Have no idea what they'll do with them.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
When Fox did the Fox 100 they finally offered Poor Little Rich Girl as an Amazon download, but they hadn't done HD masters as far as I know. Disney is really good about film preservation, so that may happen, but between their wokism and their lack of interest in almost anything more than 4 years old, who knows what they will do. Maybe someday they will have HD masters and decide to license them to someone. They eventually licensed the 30s Selznick library I think to Kino.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The Temple movies have always been a source of consternation. On the one hand, Temple was Fox's biggest box office draw for 5 years running with a legendary spate of mega hits. Fox lavished Temple movie's with a level of quality unknown before for movies built around a 'child star' and reaped the benefits for nearly a decade...that is, until dear Shirley began to show signs she was growing up. And then, of course, there was The Blue Bird (1940) - Zanuck's atrocious, but costly attempt to recapture the magic of The Wizard of Oz with another Technicolor fantasy flick after Temple fell out of the running for Oz. By 1940, Temple was starting to look very grown up, however. And The Blue Bird was a bomb.

The Temple movies were endlessly recycled and, like virtually all of Fox's vintage catalog, saw their original elements junked in that by now infamous mid-70's purge, keeping only poorly contrasted prints for their future archival purposes.

And then, the colorization began. While parts of Wee Willie Winkie were shot in sepia and virtually all of The Blue Bird, as well as The Little Princess were photographed in Technicolor, the rest of Temple's back catalog is a B&W affair, allowing for the Crayola-ing to begin in the mid-1980's. Mercifully, when these movies made it to DVD, Fox offered both the original B&W's as well as the colorized option to prevail. Bottom line: the Temple catalog needs A LOT of work to restore them, as far as they can be, in order to have their debut on Blu-ray.

Disney's short-sightedness regarding their own back catalog is appalling. I mean, it's 2021 and we still do not have the bulk of their live-action catalog available in hi-def. Not even as part of their ridiculously priced and 'exclusive' Disney Club offerings. No Happiest Millioniare, That Darn Cat, The Moonspinners, The Shaggy Dog, The Shaggy D.A., The Sword and the Rose, Third Man on the Mountain, The North Ave. Irregulars, Candleshoe, One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, So Dear To My Heart. And what of Walt's animated anthologies, Melody Time and Make Mine Music? Nope. It's obscene, frankly, that none of these have found their way to home video since the 'new' regime at the Mouse House has come to power. Ditto for releasing a truncated Bedknobs and Broomsticks to Blu when the 'almost' complete and fully restored edition was readily available for the asking. But I digress.

Odd that Disney - a brand hell-bent on promoting such antiseptic entertainments, wouldn't have immediately jumped on the band wagon to restore and remaster these. Despite not having appeared in a movie since 1949, Shirley Temple's reputation as America's sweetheart has endured the test of time despite a lengthy and curious absence from public view. But then there is the Bill Bojangles Robinson angle to consider. And Disney, a company who can't even get off its lump to release Song of the South to hi-def, will likely find some crazy and ridiculous reason to consider such light-hearted fare as Temple's pas deux with that legendary black dancer as 'racist'. How sad!

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think the ultimate answer here, as has been discussed, is that Disney controls this catalog and it’s very apparent that they aren’t in any hurry to release Fox catalog titles, if at all. The market has radically changed, and Disney is usually at the forefront when it comes to hesitating to release product it feels may not be able to recoup in sales.

Quite frankly, I am wondering how well Shirley Temple Blu-rays would actually sell these days.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Both of Shirley's color films were offered in that Fox Blu-ray contest sponsored here about a decade ago, but neither won in the voting, possibly signifying that Shirley's popularity indeed is not what it was. A shame because there is genuine entertainment to be found in her films and a clutch of catchy, singable songs. She also had A-list talent supporting her, too, from Alice Faye to Robert Young to Cesar Romero to Lionel Barrymore.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Both of Shirley's color films were offered in that Fox Blu-ray contest sponsored here about a decade ago, but neither won in the voting, possibly signifying that Shirley's popularity indeed is not what it was. A shame because there is genuine entertainment to be found in her films and a clutch of catchy, singable songs. She also had A-list talent supporting her, too, from Alice Faye to Robert Young to Cesar Romero to Lionel Barrymore.
Disney is too big too care about film classics just the fact they are ruining Walt's work by editing - playing with the colors of their animation classics etc turned me off --- just bought their clubs FANTASIA after they said on their FB page it was unedited ---- no it was edited - shows they are just too big. They would be better off letting Kino etc handle their releases this way they can release them and release them properly. I would support the release of Temple's films in decent copies for sure. I have Heidi, The Little Princess, Wee Willie WInkie and are happy with them although Heidi is a bit of a let down, I am very happy with The Little Colonel (love the Technicolor at the end) The Littlest Rebel too -- are some of the scenes cringe worthy well yes but they are a product of their time and I also value them as examples of the Studios at the top of their craft.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Quite frankly, I am wondering how well Shirley Temple Blu-rays would actually sell these days.
I'd be surprised if they sold at all. I own copies of the DVDs (the more recent multi-film volumes) and, in spite of growing up watching them every Saturday afternoon with my sister, have only watched 3 or 4 at best. My oldest granddaughters have zero interest in these films. I screened one for them and they were unimpressed. I really thought they'd love them as they're tailor made for little girls. That, IMHO, pretty much leaves those of us who grew up watching those films in the 60s as the primary audience. I just don't see enough of that group clamoring to have them on DVD, much less BR.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'd be surprised if they sold at all. I own copies of the DVDs (the more recent multi-film volumes) and, in spite of growing up watching them every Saturday afternoon with my sister, have only watched 3 or 4 at best. My oldest granddaughters have zero interest in these films. I screened one for them and they were unimpressed. I really thought they'd love them as they're tailor made for little girls. That, IMHO, pretty much leaves those of us who grew up watching those films in the 60s as the primary audience. I just don't see enough of that group clamoring to have them on DVD, much less BR.
So many films are not shown any more FXM only shows Temple's "Stowaway" - why isn't "Poor Little Rich Girl" shown at all? All of her films were staples of local indie stations for decades, same with the fun Henry Aldrich films love Universal for sure but to spend 2 million to restore them and not let them out is C -a - wazy! I know of one firm that is trying to get them but so far no luck!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob,

Very well put.

Many of us started collecting movies in the 80s and 90s. The prime years for Home Video, I estimate, were during the 90s through most of 2000s.

However, we have gone through a completely new generation of film watchers since that time. Many who cherished classic films have died off. Home Entertainment is dominated by the younger generation who yearn for Marvel films and watch content on their phones.

All of us have witnessed the death of classic releases for several years now. Many of the studios are throwing those titles to boutique labels. With every passing year, we watch the film shelves of Best Buy and other retailers become more sparse. Stores like Fry's end up shutting down.

So, as much as I would love to see Shirley Temple released to Blu, I just can't see the incentive for the studio to do it. And what makes matters worse is that Disney is the absolute worst studio when it comes to releasing disc content.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
So many films are not shown any more FXM only shows Temple's "Stowaway" - why isn't "Poor Little Rich Girl" shown at all? All of her films were staples of local indie stations for decades, same with the fun Henry Aldrich films love Universal for sure but to spend 2 million to restore them and not let them out is C -a - wazy! I know of one firm that is trying to get them but so far no luck!
I would buy a set of Henry Aldrich films in a heartbeat. My copies are terrible.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Bob,

Very well put.

Many of us started collecting movies in the 80s and 90s. The prime years for Home Video, I estimate, were during the 90s through most of 2000s.

However, we have gone through a completely new generation of film watchers since that time. Many who cherished classic films have died off. Home Entertainment is dominated by the younger generation who yearn for Marvel films and watch content on their phones.

All of us have witnessed the death of classic releases for several years now. Many of the studios are throwing those titles to boutique labels. With every passing year, we watch the film shelves of Best Buy and other retailers become more sparse. Stores like Fry's end up shutting down.

So, as much as I would love to see Shirley Temple released to Blu, I just can't see the incentive for the studio to do it. And what makes matters worse is that Disney is the absolute worst studio when it comes to releasing disc content.
I do think with Kino, VCI - Warner Archive, people like Bob Furmanek and Classic Flix, Kit Parker etc are giving us tons of stuff and we are in a good position thru them releasing Universal, Paramount titles etc, SHOUT too! As long as we continue to support them they will release stuff MPI too with hopefully Ozzie and Harriet. Disney needs to set FOX titles free thru Kino too -- Mill Creek too releasing Columbia stuff. We need Martin Scorsese to get out there and Quentin Tarantino too to educate our society about classics! We lost a great ambassador to teach that when we lost Robert Osborne (still miss him terribly) - What a guy! I had contacted him once about 10 years ago when he was going to host an outdoor airing of Miracle On 34th Street the day before Thanksgiving in front of Macy's and told him I wrote two books about Macy's he immediately shot back "I just ordered both of them" - what a thrill to hear he had ordered them! Sadly TCM too is becoming political and WOKE -- please stick to MOVIES and if you want that other stuff go to outlets that feed the masses that stuff!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I do think with Kino, VCI - Warner Archive, people like Bob Furmanek and Classic Flix, Kit Parker etc are giving us tons of stuff and we are in a good position thru them releasing Universal, Paramount titles etc, SHOUT too! As long as we continue to support them they will release stuff MPI too with hopefully Ozzie and Harriet. Disney needs to set FOX titles free thru Kino too -- Mill Creek too releasing Columbia stuff. We need Martin Scorsese to get out there and Quentin Tarantino too to educate our society about classics! We lost a great ambassador to teach that when we lost Robert Osborne (still miss him terribly) - What a guy! I had contacted him once about 10 years ago when he was going to host an outdoor airing of Miracle On 34th Street the day before Thanksgiving in front of Macy's and told him I wrote two books about Macy's he immediately shot back "I just ordered both of them" - what a thrill to hear he had ordered them! Sadly TCM too is becoming political and WOKE -- please stick to MOVIES and if you want that other stuff go to outlets that feed the masses that stuff!

Absolutely!

However, film-collecting is not as prevalent as it once was. The fact that the studios no longer want to handle releasing titles on their own and that the smaller labels are doing it is a sign of the direction collecting has gone to.

I feel eventually we are going to see things worsen. I don't know where the disc format is heading but it seems that streaming is king these days and that trend doesn't seem to be weakening.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Absolutely!

However, film-collecting is not as prevalent as it once was. The fact that the studios no longer want to handle releasing titles on their own and that the smaller labels are doing it is a sign of the direction collecting has gone to.

I feel eventually we are going to see things worsen. I don't know where the disc format is heading but it seems that streaming is king these days and that trend doesn't seem to be weakening.
I think there is still demand for physical content as long as we get it released I think a big part of it is most people got the films their hearts desired. I remember a period of time where I got tons of great WB releases for 5.00 a disc, King Solomon's Mines, Higher and Higher, Scaramouche, etc then I focused on VCI product - their great serial releases etc. I think big firms doomed themselves with releasing OZ over and over and over etc when - - here I go again while a great adventure yarn like Northwest Passage gets no love.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone ever seen a Jane Withers movie when she was a child other than "Bright Eyes" with Temple? Her B pictures from Fox don't seem to have ever been on home video and have not turned up on TCM or Fox Movie Channel. Perhaps they were shown on Sunday afternoon back in the day but I don't recall them.

As has been said interest in movies made before 1960 has faded. People don't care to see most films made at "the studio" on the back lot except for a few such as "The Wizard of Oz." Next there is not much interest in owning discs. There is so much entertainment available with streaming I believe it is just easier for most people to use the remote to find something to watch rather then getting up , find the movie you want to see, opening a disc , and putting it into a player. Sounds silly but it is true. The restored pre 1960 films that showed up on HBOMAX when it started were fantastic. I looked forward every month to see what new delight would be added. Sadly that well has run dry . At this point I hope the studios still think their films from the 30's, '40s, and '50s are still worth restoring to appear in a like new state for streaming and on whatever cable channel is willing to show them. If they are released on disc, at this point, that is a bonus.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Has anyone ever seen a Jane Withers movie when she was a child other than "Bright Eyes" with Temple? Her B pictures from Fox don't seem to have ever been on home video and have not turned up on TCM or Fox Movie Channel. Perhaps they were shown on Sunday afternoon back in the day but I don't recall them.

As has been said interest in movies made before 1960 has faded. People don't care to see most films made at "the studio" on the back lot except for a few such as "The Wizard of Oz." Next there is not much interest in owning discs. There is so much entertainment available with streaming I believe it is just easier for most people to use the remote to find something to watch rather then getting up , find the movie you want to see, opening a disc , and putting it into a player. Sounds silly but it is true. The restored pre 1960 films that showed up on HBOMAX when it started were fantastic. I looked forward every month to see what new delight would be added. Sadly that well has run dry . At this point I hope the studios still think their films from the 30's, '40s, and '50s are still worth restoring to appear in a like new state for streaming and on whatever cable channel is willing to show them. If they are released on disc, at this point, that is a bonus.
Hopefully they all turn to deals like KINO has, this way they will make revenue yet other firms do the work. On the plus side reviewers dvd beaver are busy reviewing discs and have tons of upcoming titles listed.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter

The Fox Archive MOD line did release a few Jane Withers films. Including two rather good ones, "Little Miss Nobody" (1936) and "High School," along with a couple of so-so ones, "Rascals" (1938) and "Golden Hoofs" (1941), plus one I regard as a stinker, "Chicken Wagon Family" (1939). One or two others, as well, I believe. "Always in Trouble" (1938) circulates a fair bit. I think some outfits regard it as PD, although I frankly doubt that it really is. I think all of them circulated in that NTA syndication package from the mid-1950s, so most seem to be floating around in 16mm. Fox Archives never quite got around to the ones I was most keen on, though. Like "Keep Smiling" (1938), which involved Jane trying to break in to movies, and also featured Gloria Stuart. Or, "Angels Holiday" (1937), which had her as a detective-story fan who gets involved with a kidnapping gang who snatch a movie queen on her way to visit her hometown. The two western-themed ones, "Wild and Woolly" (1937) and "The Arizona Wildcat" (1938), both featured Pauline Moore, and I would have welcomed them on disc as well.

Fox Archives also released some of the Jones Family films. Yet again, they missed out on my favorite, "Back to Nature" (1936), which has the family taking a camping trip out in the mountains. It's shot out on location, amidst some very scenic backdrops. An early, but particularly flavorful entry in the series.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
While researching Jane Withers films I found one from Republic Pictures made after her Fox contract expired that I think some would be interested in due to who else is in it.

"Johnny Doughboy" 1942.

Some former child actors, trying to put on a show for the GIs, will be able to do it only if they can get the young actress to be in it, so they set out to persuade her to be in their show.

Two of the former child actors are Spanky and Alfalfa in cameos. This is the last time the appeared together in a film. Would be a great trivia question to name their last film together especially since its not an "Our Gang" short.

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Everyone relax. Disney will reissue Shirley's films as soon as they've finished re-colorizing them, cropping them to 16x9, remixing the tracks to 7.1 Dolby Atmos, relooping all her songs with Ariana Grande and dubbing in a few farts here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks