What's new

Status of Shirley Temple Films (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And I can attest many here then started collecting Super 8 Blackhawk Prints of Laurel and Hardy, Our Gang, The Phantom of The Opera etc. It was major news when they started selling prints of Temple's "Captain January" another big discovery was releasing "The Little Princess" to TV in color which they claimed had been rediscovered having only been seen in black and white for some reason. The a lot of us here got snookered into Betamax, VHS, CED disc, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu Ray, 4K and whatever comes next. We have kept many a Studio in the black - remember when Disney would sell 10 million copies of Snow White?

My father was never into the video formats before dvd. I don't remember ever seeing him watching old movies much either. He never purchased any pre-recorded vhs tapes, nor made any video store rentals.

So most of the dvds/blurays I purchased for him, was stuff he hasn't watched in over 50 or 60 years.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
What often gets forgotten in these conversations is that the younger generation has plenty of things they are nostalgic for - it’s just not the same things that other people are nostalgic for.

If you grew up in the 50s, 60s, 70s, you might’ve seen these films all the time on TV but they were 20-40 year old films already by then. If you’re growing up today, the equivalent distance in time is films from 1980-2000.
Sometimes hard to believe all that time has passed by. Anyway, Happy New Year to all on Home Theater Forum.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I finally was able to find the 2015 3 volume re-release DVD set for a good price on ebay.

Has anyone bought the La Entertainment DVD of Poor Little Rich girl? I came across it on Deepdiscount and I just bought it. I'm not sure how the quality is going to be but I bought their release of The Vagabond King (1956) and it was surprisingly good quality. The only down side is that it was a pan and scan of a Vista Vision film.
https://www.deepdiscount.com/poor-little-rich-girl/9317486004592
3993180-2729525.jpg

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I am wary of anything from La Entertainment. My copy of Sandra Dee's I'D RATHER BE RICH was a copy of a TV pan and scan airing complete with a channel logo throughout the film. You could even see the "edit" points cutting out the commercials.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I am wary of anything from La Entertainment. My copy of Sandra Dee's I'D RATHER BE RICH was a copy of a TV pan and scan airing complete with a channel logo throughout the film. You could even see the "edit" points cutting out the commercials.
Oh wow, That's pretty shoddy. I guess I'll find out when it comes. I might of been better off getting the digital version on itunes.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
That is a title that should be commercially released. I am hoping perhaps Kino would consider releasing it at some point.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
She had a much more interesting life after hollywood.

Without going heavily into politics, Shirley Temple was the american ambassador to Czechoslovakia during the "velvet revolution" when communism fell in 1989-1990.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks