What's new

"State the effects produced by rotation and revolution of the earth". (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Nope, can't be true. I learned in the "Transporters are not possible" thread that the earth was thought to be round till about 500 years ago.:D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

Please don't mention that thread or the villagers will show up with their torches...

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I don't know about you guys... but it makes me kind of dizzy sometimes.

:D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Now assume you're not attached to the walls and there's no graviational force pushing you downward. You're pushed back because the whole thing is spinning and you're touching it at your feet. While the concept could work to some degree (it's been utilized to create workout exercises in space that use horizontal bicycle-like devices that spin to create a false sense of gravity to keep your muscles from disintegrating), it hasn't been used yet because it's not completely accurate. In the ride you described, the force required to push you outwards is based on the force initially pulling you down and the fact that you're in contact with it. If you're being held above it by a rope while it spins, you're not going to be pushed to the outside, whether the pre-existing gravity is there or not.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit

Now my head hurts. I don't know whether I should be offended or happy that I don't know what the hell this Gene Ray is talking about.

-Mike

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I live but to serve.

Truth is, the search function works great these days. Big props to the owners for getting that fixed so that we CAN revive relevant threads like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks