"State the effects produced by rotation and revolution of the earth".

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Pine, Mar 8, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Need help with this question. Here's all I've come up with.

rotation: gravity, atmosphere and magnetic field/ozone layer

revolution: seasonal changes?.... or is that caused by the 23-degree tilt of the axis?

Any feedback?

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Who taught you this? Gravity is the attraction between two masses. Rotation has nothing to do with it.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The seasonal changes are due to the revolution around the sun, taking into account the tilt in the earth's axis. As the earth revolves around the sun, at some times of the year the tilt (as seen at the North Pole) is more towards the sun (summer in the Northern hemisphere) and other times it is away from the sun (summer in the Southern Hemisphere). Tides are also influenced by the revolution, i.e. since the path is an ellipse, the earth is closer to the sun at some points of the year than others, so the sun's gravity is stronger, thus influencing the height and/or lowness of tides (but not the time of them, that's rotation).

4. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

You're 0 for 4 on rotation. Gravity is related to mass, the magnetic field is due to a liquid ferrous core, the atmosphere (of which the ozone layer is a component) hangs around and doesn't evaporate into space thanks to gravity and protection by the magnetic field.

For rotation, you may look into what's called "frame dragging".

Seasons are caused by both the solar orbit and the tilt of the axis.

[EDIT: yeah, what they said...]

-Mike

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Damn [​IMG].

Perhaps you should provide the context of the question i.e., what kind of exam? I mean, day and night is a pretty obvious answer, but may be too simplistic for your case.

--
    H

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Holadem is right. Could you tell us what grade level and difficulty we are talking about? We could be talking about the effect of linear acceleration on the measurement of gravity, taking into account Einstein's theory of relativity of a high velocity object as opposed to a stationary one affecting the time element of the gravitational constant... or we could be talking night and day.

My bet is on the latter, any takers?

8. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    "Perhaps you should provide the context of the question i.e., what kind of exam? I mean, day and night is a pretty obvious answer, but may be too simplistic for your case."

Ok, point taken, here's the context. This is a possible essay question that will be given for a county-wide Science Olympiad on the Intermediate School grade level (4th-6th). Ok...so...

Rotation: Day/Night, Tides

Revolution: Seasonal changes

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yeah, I think we can rule out the effect of relativity on the gravitational constant. The coriolis effect might be an interesting tidbit to add to rotation.

Edit, note also that the tides are further influenced by the orbit of the moon around the earth and the orbit of the earth around the sun. This relationship is more complex than just the rotation of the earth, but the earth's rotation is an important component.

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

More on day/night: if the planet did not rotate as often as it does, one side would get hotter and the other side would get colder. Imagine if it took a week or a month for the sun to "cross the sky". If we were spectacularly unlucky, and a day took exactly one year, one side of the planet would always face the sun. I suppose people would have to live in a ring, right on the edge between day and night; I think I saw that in a movie or TV show [​IMG] So overall, it would affect the weather (short-term) and the climate (long-term).

11. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I always thought gravity was the result of the Earth's core being made up primarily of Silica while all other matter was made up primarly of water. [​IMG]

12. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Rotation - day/night - shorter trips when flying east, partially responsible for weather patterns and ocean currents, moderating temperatures, love..

no wait, I got the last one backwards... [​IMG]

13. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al

To be more precise, the seasonal changes are due to the angle of the earth vs the sun - not the distance between the earth and the sun.

14. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    The "spin" of tropical storms.

Water spiraling down the drain.

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

16. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Rotation is used to simulate gravity in outerspace where gravity's effects are lesser. It's cool how if there is a missing force you just redirect other forces.

17. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Kids these days...when we were young we use to cheat by copying out of an encyclopedia but noooooooooo
    Now we ask physicists who hang out on home theater forums

I think copying was easier now that I look at the thread

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

But that is just centrifugal force (actually it's centripetal force, cetrifugal force is a "ghost" force) where the outside of the ship is "pushing in" due to centripetal acceleration towards the center of the spin. This has nothing to do with gravity, it is just kinematics. Besides, outside of theory and Kubrick's 2001, it has never been used (at least to my knowledge).

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

And we're talking about Earth's rotation anyway.

--
    H

20. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Rotation: weather systems and the motion thereof, the oblateness of the Earth, the diurnal cycle, solar and lunar tides [in combination with the revolutions of the Earth and Moon] and the combined spring-neap tidal cycle, solar time and the time-zone effect, the observed motion of the stars.

Revolution: The annual and seasonal cycles, stellar abberation, the precession of the equinoxes, differential velocities of infalling meteoric materials.

And there are others, but those are the most obvious ones, the ones from which the sphericity of the Earth was proven in the 3d century BC and the heliocentric orbit of the Earht in the 18th century AD.