What's new

Stargate Atlantis - Season 1 Boxed Set on 11/15/05! (2 Viewers)

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
"Stargate Atlantis - Season 1" will be released on 11/15/2005, according to information I have obtained. It is a 5 disc set, with a suggested price of $59.95. It has a runtime of 873 minutes.

(Until this title is announced by the studio, the info still could change.)

I will post cover art as soon as I get it. (Keep an eye on my site's product announcements section for news on upcoming Stargate releases.)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
If the artwork is accurate than they're continuing the SG1 set in the same format and using some thinner format for Atlantis. I'm all up for that, SG1 takes up more room on my shelves than any other set I own.

Of course artwork isn't always accurate.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Cool! Unlike SG1, I was able to start watching Atlantis from the beginning, so I know what is going on, and have become quite a fan.

Eric F

Screenwriter
About time.

So, do we watch S8 of SG-1 first or Atlantis S1? The SG-1 S7 finale seemed like an opening for Atlantis.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Then the Two Part Finale of S8 before the the finale of Atlantis

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I really hope that Sony/MGM doesn't use that idiotic paperbox format that Warner Brothers and many other studios use for the DVD boxed sets. I really hate those digi-pax clamshell cardbox mockups ...

I just hope that they continue the same format as they have with previous boxed sets. I do think that they'll use the formatr as previously released with their previous format:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3943

Here's hoping that Sony continues to use the same format for the Ninth Season as well.:D The keepsake case will be used for the 8th Season.

I think that Stargate Atlantis is the new format for their DVD releases for new series launches on DVD.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
Here's another shot of the Atlantis Season 1 box:

The set does include all episodes from the first season, including the pilot. The 5 discs come in 3 cases, as you can see in the picture above, so the set will be much thinner than the SG-1 sets.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Just let me guess, DVD-18's? Double Sided? I don't think so. I saw the pilot when it aired and I didn't like it and while I thought about buying this set to check out the first season in its entirety, I'm not sure.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I doubt it's DVD eighteens. MGM previously put the SG1 sets on 5 DVD nines. If those are double thins than there would be no need for DVD eighteens.

Eric F

Screenwriter
That's confusing as hell.

Someone want to spell it out as far as the season sets are concerned? So am I safe watching all of SG-1 S8 (it comes out next month), or should I just buy them both at once?

Katherine_K

Second Unit
The two shows take place at approximately the same time, however some Stargate SG1 episodes clearly occur before Stargate Atlantis episodes.

Dr. Elizabeth Weir, the leader of the Atlantis Expedition is the head of Stargate Command in the first two episodes of Stargate SG1's eighth season before she goes off to another galaxy. So chronologically you have:

New Order 1&2 (SG1 S801/802)
Rising 1&2 (Atlantis S101/102)

Than at the end of the series they aquire something in the SG1 final that they need for the Atlantis final (sorry that's vague, it's a spoiler).

So the chronology there is:

Moebius 1&2 (SG1 S819/820)
The Siege 1&2 (Atlantis S119/120)

It's not THAT critical that you watch them in that order, it just takes place in taht order in the timeline. To make it even more confusing, The Siege is a three-part cliffhanger.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I still don't understand why anyone thinks that DVD-18s are involved. None of the previous stargate sets have involved them. They've all used five dics. This set uses five discs.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
The picture clearly shows the first case holding discs 1 & 2, the second case holding discs 3 & 4, and the third case holding disc 5. They are all DVD-9's, with 4 episodes per disc.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I think, Lee, that you have unnessecarily overcomplicated that to the point that it is useless for the casual viewer.

The episodes within each series obviously follow one with only the exception of the SG1 episodes Covenant and Affinity (which were aired out of production order).

As has been stated previously, the only really important thing is that the SG1 season opener New Order takes place before the Atlantis season opener Rising, and the SG1 season final Moebius takes place before the Atlantis season final The Siege.

Eric F

Screenwriter
So I guess I'll just get the SG-1 S8 set next month and watch it all the way through.

This type of multiple-crossover stuff is exactly the type of thing that stopped me reading comics. It is very odd a TV show has decided to go in this direction. Usually spinoffs just start with one or two episodes and then with an occasional guest-star or two from the parent series.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Let me say this again. You really don't need to watch Stargate SG-1 Season 8 in order to understand Stargate Atlantis. The Pilot episode or the first episode, the two-parter begins with Colonel O-Neil and Dr. Jackson flying all over the Earth getting the team together that goes to Atlantis.

I wish everyone would stop confusing fans who just want to get the Stargate Atlnatis set and stop acting like corporate moguls trying to get fans to buy every one of their sets.

The pilot episode begins with Colonel O'Neil choppering around the Earth trying to set up the team that goes through the Stargate to Atlantis. The pilot episode serves as the origin episode that sets up the team and goes from there.

Stargate Season 8, the episodes that everyone is talking about, only serves as a sort of interlude primer for the series. While it's nice to watch, it's not required that you pick up both sets to enjoy the Atlantis series. I have the first Seven Seasons of SG-1 so I'll probably be picking up both but while the sets are nice to have, even the eigth season, they are not required in order to buy and collect the Stargate Atlantis series.

Trust me, and Adam*M can agree with me, you won't be confused by the events in Stargate Atlantis if you pass on Season 8 of Stargate SG-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks