What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No, it actually won't be a coincidence at all. It will mean they were right. And there will be crickets here because FANS of his can't accept those people were right, and even more, they can't accept that they, themselves, were wrong.
I'll gladly admit that I was wrong and it wasn't coincidence and in reality, some neckbeard guy on You Tube had such great insider information from high placed Disney and LFL contacts that it took a couple years to come out to the rest of us lesser connected folks. It wouldn't be a coincidence at all.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Wondering if all the Last Jedi haters will actually boycott number 9 in the hopes it might contribute to making them right or eventually give in and contribute to its box office :) Tough call...

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Whether it's hyperbolic or not, Lucasfilm acknowledges the blowback from "The Last Jedi" affected "Solo"'s box office performance, which also caused them to cancel other movies that were being planned. You don't have to agree with it. Lucasfilm does. So "The Last Jedi"'s box office, while great, also cost them billions more.

How many billions exactly did they lose ?
Every single SW trilogy has the second movie making the least. I’m laying odds that Ep 9 will make 1.5 billion roughly (and be labeled both a success by those who loved Last Jedi and a complete failure by those who didn’t :) )

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Every single SW trilogy has the second movie making the least

That is an excellent point.

Tough call...

It's also possible that they'll just pay for another movie and sneak into it. I'm not advocating this but (at least in theaters without reserved seating) this would be pretty easy to do. But I don't think enough people will skip it or otherwise not pay for it to actually prevent it from dominating the box office.

Personally, Disney can just take my money for the first showtime as soon as tickets are available.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Let’s face it this is a film that pretty much nearly everyone who saw Last Jedi is going to see. Even if you hated it, you want to see the last one to see how it ends, if its better etc, how they put Leia and Luke in...

The Rise of Skywalker will be a success or failure down to its own qualities, nothing more, nothing less. It’s positioned exactly where it should be to give it the best chance.

I say this as someone who actively hated every Transformers film and eventually learned my lesson after number 3 and avoided the rest = its the hope that kills you :)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
About Johnson I agree that they were initially going to alternate between Benioff and Weiss and then Johnson and I still think that’s the more likely outcome once Johnson gets to pitch his idea. Who knows, he may well decide not to wait or they may not agree to move forward? But with the backlash against Season 8 of Game of Thrones, now Lucasfilm have three filmmakers for the future of their franchise who have felt the full fury of fans.

Forget Star Wars, when’s Knives Out coming out ?? :) They should release it at the same time as Ep 9 to compete...

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I'm not excited at all about seeing Palpatine again. I felt like that story was told and finding some goofy sci-fi reason to bring him back just seems really unnecessary. I did not like what Rian Johnson did with Star Wars, and I felt "The Last Jedi" just seemed off; but at least he had some unexpected things in there. J. J. seems hellbent on rehashing things and people we've seen before. While I enjoyed "The Force Awakens," and it FELT like Star Wars again, it was obviously just a rehash of "A New Hope." Even if Palpatine survived being thrown down whatever he was thrown down, surviving the explosion of the Death Star just seems ludicrous. And I don't think the "force ghost" applies to Sith. Anakin became a force ghost, because he was redeemed. They better have a really good reason and way of bringing Palpatine back to make it work. I'm skeptical.

Isn’t the obvious idea clones ?
I avoid spoilers but with the internet practically screaming it from the rooftops after the latest trailer, it seems to me they have a ready made in-universe answer from the movies already and given they keep saying it has to wrap up and link to the entire saga, Id say that’s the most likely route.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
AbForget Star Wars, when’s Knives Out coming out ??

Thanksgiving.

They should release it at the same time as Ep 9 to compete...

That would be foolish. Knives Out, as an original property, is a much tougher sell than a blockbuster like Star Wars. I think it is well-positioned as Thanksgiving counterprogramming but would probably be devoured by Rise of Skywalker if they opened opposite each other.

About Johnson I agree that they were initially going to alternate between Benioff and Weiss and then Johnson and I still think that’s the more likely outcome once Johnson gets to pitch his idea.

The Avatar sequels (now through Disney) are currently set to alternate with the Benioff/Weiss trilogy. If Johnson's trilogy goes in there too, it would have to use a not-December release pattern.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Let’s face it this is a film that pretty much nearly everyone who saw Last Jedi is going to see. Even if you hated it, you want to see the last one to see how it ends, if its better etc, how they put Leia and Luke in...
If I was one of these “haters” I would wait till the first reviews of FANS are out. Should be just one of two days. And then maybe, if the reviews are good, go see it.

But I’m not one of these. I will go on the first day. Which is the 19th here in Germany.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I've said this before, but it bears repeating when it comes to the topic of Ep. 9. It's called The Rise of Skywalker for one reason only.

In some other worldly language I'm sure the movie title translates directly to "Please Come Back - Forgive Us".

I liked TLJ well enough, but the fan outcry has been heard loud and clear by Lucasfilm.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
J.J. Abrams had this to say about the Emperor:

"I will say that that's part of what the story is, and also, I will say that with the Emperor around, he's not going to be your, you know, the cuddly pal. I can't wait for you to see how that plays out, but he's in the poster for a reason."

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
If I was one of these “haters” I would wait till the first reviews of FANS are out. Should be just one of two days. And then maybe, if the reviews are good, go see it.

But I’m not one of these. I will go on the first day. Which is the 19th here in Germany.

The “haters” are “fans.” Miss out on two days of conversation about the last Skywalker saga film ever ? Not a chance !! :) They’ll be there at midnight on opening day.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I just hope JJ doesn't leave any hanging chads. He loves mysteries but, this is suppose to be then end of this saga. Everything needs to be wrapped up like ROTJ but, I'm not sure that is in his DNA. I fully expect one big open ended plot point at the end of this movie. Most fans will probably love it and debate it for decades. I, on the other hand, will be pissed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One of the reasons I was intrigued about JJ coming back is that he’s never really ended anything in his career. All of the shows he launched, he left far before they completed their runs. And in the film world, he relaunched two franchises. So I think him having to end a story is a new challenge and I’m excited to see him try something that’s new to him.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to The Last Jedi, Snoke is gone and Rey's parentage is answered. No doubt The Rise Of Skywalker will have wrap-ups of the stories for all of the major characters but after that, are there that many unanswered questions left? I'd like to learn more about the Knights of Ren and I imagine that the story of how Luke's lightsaber got to Maz Kanata's castle is destined for a comic book or novel but I can't really think of too many more things that I feel demand to be addressed from the previous two movies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm with @TravisR on this one. Asked and answered. Rey has found her true family within the Resistance. If Rise of Skywalker never mentioned Rey's parents at all, I would be completely fine with that as I was totally satisfied by the resolution Rian Johnson gave to that story thread.

That being said, I do think Abrams will bring it up, but I don't need him to in order to be happy with the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks