What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I am open to whatever the film chooses to reveal. All I want is for it to make sense within the trilogy and larger Star Wars canvas. But part of me is also secretly hoping that Rey did come from ordinary parents and that she simply adopts the name Skywalker to carry on the legacy.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
So how about Luke's chopped off hand was found with the lightsaber and Rey was cloned from it? We'd find out Luke was the father and didn't even know it. That should make everyone happy.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
In regards to Rey, I hope that it turns out that she is truly the "chosen one" as prophesized. It was made to seem that Anakin was the one only to be revealed that he was actually created by Palpatine. And, since the Emperor is coming back I would like to see Rey bringing balance back to the force. That IMO should help eliminate the need to know her true parentage.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Forgive this old man, but which movie is it stated that Palpatine created Anakin?
It's not stated definitively but in The Phantom Menace, Shmi SKywalker tells Qui-Gon that Anakin had no father. Then in Revenge Of The Sith, Palpatine tells Anakin about Darth Plagueis, a Sith who was so powerful that he could create life. The implication being that Palpatine created Anakin using the same Sith "magic" that Darth Plagueis used.

ROTS clip (the part I reference is about 3:30 to 4:00)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that was bullshit that Palpatine fed Anakin to manipulate him into becoming Vader.

Anakin was a pure manifestation of the Force, a Christ-like immaculate conception. Perhaps the universe's response to the perversion of Darth Plagueis.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always thought that was bullshit that Palpatine fed Anakin to manipulate him into becoming Vader.

Anakin was a pure manifestation of the Force, a Christ-like immaculate conception. Perhaps the universe's response to the perversion of Darth Plagueis.
As I played back that scene, I think its BS too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not stated definitively but in The Phantom Menace, Shmi SKywalker tells Qui-Gon that Anakin had no father. Then in Revenge Of The Sith, Palpatine tells Anakin about Darth Plagueis, a Sith who was so powerful that he could create life. The implication being that Palpatine created Anakin using the same Sith "magic" that Darth Plagueis used.

ROTS clip (the part I reference is about 3:30 to 4:00)

I remembered the scene in The Phantom Menace, but was wondering if there was some other sequence I forgot about that was definitive in which Palpatine could create life and there really isn't one so thank you for bringing up that second film sequence.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Luke being the father ? Not sure how they would play that given he was with her for half a film and didn’t bring it up. He would have sensed who she was when he was training her and to not bring it up especially given his own history of parental knowledge would seem odd.

Cause he didn't want her to know . . .
Leaving her as a small child wasn't something he felt like explaining to her. . .
Like father, like son . . .

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I remembered the scene in The Phantom Menace, but was wondering if there was some other sequence I forgot about that was definitive in which Palpatine could create life and there really isn't one so thank you for bringing up that second film sequence.

I can't be sure, but I feel like there was a recent in-canon comic book or novel that was shared here (on the forum) that confirmed Palpatine was Anakin's father, or creator.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't be sure, but I feel like there was a recent in-canon comic book or novel that was shared here (on the forum) that confirmed Palpatine was Anakin's father, or creator.
I'm sure that was me talking about Star Wars: Darth Vader issue #25. It's more of a vision than a flashback actually depicting Palpatine creating Anakin. Based on the scene in ROTS, I do think the intention of Lucas is that Palpatine used the midi-chlorians to create Anakin so LFL continues to follow that BUT i do think it's left open enough that each viewer can think what they want.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Cause he didn't want her to know . . .
Leaving her as a small child wasn't something he felt like explaining to her. . .
Like father, like son . . .
Err...sorry I don’t get the link. Anakin had a very different arc.

And there is no indication in Last Jedi that Luke knew her, in fact the “Rey from Nowhere” moment tries to make it explicit that he doesn’t know who she is. I actually thought that was Johnson trying to make it definitive early on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If Rey is Luke's daughter, I think it's pretty clear that he didn't know she was his daughter.

Maybe he had a fling during his galactic swashbuckling days. By the time Rey's mother knew she was pregnant, Luke was off to the next adventure, she found somebody else, and her and that somebody else abandoned her on Jakku.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Or she's someone else's daughter and the people who sold her for drinking money were her foster parents and Kylo mistook them for her real parents.

In some theories she's a clone made out of Luke's hand he lost on Bespin. I kinda like that. :lol:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Or she's someone else's daughter and the people who sold her for drinking money were her foster parents and Kylo mistook them for her real parents.

In some theories she's a clone made out of Luke's hand he lost on Bespin. I kinda like that. :lol:
The Luke's hand theory ties into the original opening of The Force Awakens where Luke's hand was floating through space. The inclusion of the lightsaber that Luke was holding in that hand keeps that still somewhat in play.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Err...sorry I don’t get the link. Anakin had a very different arc.

And there is no indication in Last Jedi that Luke knew her, in fact the “Rey from Nowhere” moment tries to make it explicit that he doesn’t know who she is. I actually thought that was Johnson trying to make it definitive early on.

Anakin was a whiny brat. Luke was a whiny brat. Not that different.

And, of course, there is no indication in "The Last Jedi" that Luke knew her, because Johnson threw out EVERY SINGLE THING "The Force Awakens" set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks