What's new

Star Wars SE LD's just arrived!!! (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
My LD of "THX WOW!" arrived safely today, as did a couple of Sony DVD-R blanks! The LD player won't be here for another day or so, so I made a DVD-R copy of the S-VHS dub I had made from the widescreen version of "THX-1138" I used to have. I used the slower 2 hour mode and the "fixed" bitrate. The DVD-R played perfectly in my Sony NS300 DVD player and looks slightly better than the tape! Come on UPS!!!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
if you really want to see some great discs, check out the Japanese Box of 4 to 6 and TPM. The POD race on TPM blows the DVD away.

Unlike the 'warm watered down milk' sound of DTS DVD, LD DTS is incredible. FInd a few dts lds and find out what 5.1 should sound like.

Grant Degs

Agent
I know you are discussing the LD versions of Star Wars

but I wanted to add my recent experience.

In December I bought the Widescreen Special Edition of

the Star Wars Trilogy on VHS from Amazon on in the used

area. It was sealed when I received it. (I know, I know,

VHS is awful but it was widescreen after all)

Anyway, I can't believe that I have been watching it

Pan and Scan for all these years!!! The widescreen

presentation made it so much better. How do you chop

up these wonderful movies? There were many scenes where

the entire screen needed to be used. No wonder I didn't

like watching my Pan and Scan VHS.

It made the movie seem more epic and larger. I am so

happy I paid the high cost for this version. I advise

all Star Wars lovers to get a widescreen version if you

don't already have one.

Now, only if we could get the DVDs.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I advise all Star Wars lovers to get a widescreen version if you don't already have one.
I'm currently selling my VHS widescreen SE boxset in the software section seing as how I'll have the films on three double-sided DVD-R's as soon as my LD player makes it here!

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Lucasfilm properties on LD, I received a brand-spanking new, still-in-the-shrink-wrap LD of Raiders of the Lost Ark today. Absolutely MINT.

EXCEPT for that HUGE CRACK spanning the entire second side.

Does that not suck or what? Please hold me.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Does that not suck or what? Please hold me.
Man, that does suck.
My first video of Raiders of the Lost Ark was a Hanukah gift from my parents (who had separated 3 months earlier). This was December of 1983, when it was first released and I was 7 years old. Raiders was (and is) my favorite film of all time, so I couldn't wait to watch that CED disc. During my favorite part of the film (the truck chase), when Indy goes under the truck, the damn disc skipped, through out the entire shot! I was devastated! I called my dad in tears, telling him about the defective disc. Fortunatley I was able to get a corrected version of the movie.
I hope you are able to replace your Raiders LD.
Neil

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Neil. I just wanted to share my sob story and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has one.

I emailed the seller (bought the LD via ebay) and he wanted a detailed description of the damage and then suggested I insure purchases in the future. So I sent him a description of the damage (which I'm positive was the result of poor packaging on his part) and 7 hours later he has yet to respond.

Wish me luck.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I also just bought a widescreen "Raiders..." LD on eBay. It is supposed to be shrinkwrapped/new. Luckily it will arrive intact so I can dub it on my DVD-R recorder :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks