What's new

Star Wars SE LD's just arrived!!! (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
The SW Trilogy SE LD boxset I bought from half.com just arrived in the mail! My wife went to the mall for a few things and will be picking up a Panasonic DVD-R recorder for me, and a used LD player I bought from a member of this forum will probably arrive on Monday or Tuesday. This is gonna be fun :)
PS- I have sealed LD's of THX WOW! and Raiders of the Lost Ark on the way too :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Since you'll be limited to stereo audio for your DVDs, I'd definitely get the original trilogy (non-SE) as well. The pro-logic mix of the SE is a downmix from the new 5.1 track, and I've never heard anybody prefer it (the downmix, not the 5.1 track) over the 'original' (term used loosely since Star Wars was remixed even for the THX LD release) pro-logic mix.

Actually, a lot of people prefer the original pro-logic mix over the SE 5.1...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I just received my STAR WARS SE Boxset I won on eBay yesterday and I may watch A NEW HOPE this evening. Today I just placed a bid on the non SE Definitive Collection boxset and am eyeing an INDIANA JONES Trilogy laserdisc boxset. Man, eBay is expensive...but fun!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I've never heard anybody prefer it (the downmix, not the 5.1 track) over the 'original'
The 5.1 sound on the SEs is pretty damn good, and I used to prefer it over the PCM track but ever since I upgraded to Dolby Pro Logic II, I prefer the PCM track.
I wonder if the sound will be on par with the PCM when you transfer it to DVD? Please let me know. :)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
What do you know? I'm in the same boat! This past week, I received both the original and SE versions of the Star Wars trilogy on laserdisc. Now all I have to do is wait for that Pioneer CLD-D606 laserdisc player I bought to arrive. I got the original versions off of eBay and the SEs and the player from members here at the Forum. To say that I'm excited is one of the biggest understatments of this new year. Having the discs and not being able to watch them is going to drive me nuts!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Sorry about the misplaced modifier, Michael. The PCM on the THX versions is the sound that I prefer.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Tom,
Soon I will be DPLII capable and am looking forward to it. I am also looking forward to trying Circle 7 on these discs.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
! This past week, I received both the original and SE versions of the Star Wars trilogy on laserdisc. Now all I have to do is wait for that Pioneer CLD-D606 laserdisc player I bought to arrive.
Wow, there must be something in the air!;) I've rented the SE and they are absolutely beautiful transfers with incredible 5.1 sound. I've seen the standalone THX laserdiscs of the non-SE before but never the DEFINITIVE COLLECTION. I'm looking very forward to comparing both the OT and SE's; there are things I like better in both so I just had to have 'em all!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Michael, thanks for the info. I've never heard of it. I'll have to do a search here on the HTF and read up about it. I hope I didn't miss out by going with DPLII! :b

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Well I have the SE's and the Thx and while the THX pro-logic sound great the SE's in DD are a notch better IMHO....especially the bike scenes in Jedi ahhh glorious 5.1!

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
You must be from the south.....oh, wait.....you are
Hardy har har :)
After I saw my mistake, I too thought that some southerners with the bad southern drawl would pronounce it that way :) Jeet yet? Naw. Younght to? A'aight.
Regarding the older audio mix vs. the SE, I admit although I'm BIG into home theater, I really don't hear a difference in audio mixes, such as DD vs. DTS, unless something is really wrong liking a missing LFE channel. In this case, I don't have an AC-3 RF decoder, so I'll be using the analog audio outs from the LD player to the Panasonic DVD-R unit, not that it even accepts a dolby digital audio input. I'm primarily interested in the better video and revised scenes in the SE than I am in the slight audio superiority of one sound mix over the other. And regarding the new scenes in the SE, I'm not a DIE HARD fan, so the changes don't really bother me :) I'll just be glad when my DVD-R discs arrive tomorrow so I can see how it looks on DVD! :)

Gruson

Second Unit
The Speeder Bike chase in 5.1 is AMAZING.

I use it as one of my sound demo scenes.

The video is much better with the SEs....too bad I cannot stand the changes with the SEs.

Jakob_S

Stunt Coordinator
PCM is the audio format used for CD's right? Can someone tell me more about PCM? Why does it sound better for music perpoces forexample?

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
PCM is pulse code modulation. It is a 2 channel uncompressed/lossless digital format that is standard for compact discs. It sounds "better" to some people because (a) it is not compressed and (b) it is lossless (no info thrown away). The same can't be said for the other forms of digital audio storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks