What's new

STAR WARS ON BLU-RAY - FALL 2011 (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Just imagine if Lucas really went off the deep end, and instead of fixing CGI Jabba, he replaced slug Jabba with the original Scotsman stand-in Jabba for both Phantom Menace and Jedi!

I better shut up in case he's reading this....!

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

Just imagine if Lucas really went off the deep end, and instead of fixing CGI Jabba, he replaced slug Jabba with the original Scotsman stand-in Jabba for both Phantom Menace and Jedi!

I better shut up in case he's reading this....!

Hahaha that would be extremely amusing! That massive dias with the Scotsman perched on the edge, Salacious crumb on his knee! Massive Jabba voice coming out of a humanoid body!!! It's a fan edit future YouTube classic in the making folks!!! :D

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by cafink

The hilarious thing is the Ewok brandishing the spiky thing is left untouched!

One card Lucasfilm had scuttled outright depicted a bunch of Yoda's species worshiping a statue straight out of Spaceballs. Topps was able to finally reprint it in 2009 though.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
In many ways, the existing SEs already feel like a "Special Comedy Edition."

Pete-D

Screenwriter

I really don't understand why Lucas/Spielberg feel movies like Star Wars and E.T. are too violent anyway.

When I was a kid I would watch movies like Rambo and Robocop (which became properties aimed and marketed towards kids) ... Star Wars was tame in terms of violence.

The 1989 Batman and Jurassic Park had more violent/gruesome scenes as well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Pete-D

I really don't understand why Lucas/Spielberg feel movies like Star Wars and E.T. are too violent anyway.

When I was a kid I would watch movies like Rambo and Robocop (which became properties aimed and marketed towards kids) ... Star Wars was tame in terms of violence.

Welcome to the insanity. I personally like the classic Sesame Street volumes on dvd. They are ADULTS ONLY NOT FOR CHILDREN...because kids did unspeakable things in the 70's like riding bikes without helmets.  

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Different types of films.

Movies such as Rambo and Robocop which were hard "R" movies did see toys and things come out which is pretty inconsistent. Batman and Jurassic park did have intense scenes, but were appropriately rated "PG-13" Star Wars and E.T. were "PG" rated kid/family oriented films. In the case of E.T. I can understand why Spielberg made some of the changes he did. For example, the walkie-talkies for guns, looking back, the authorities locking and loading and potentially ready to shoot children can come off to be somewhat intense. Star Wars, admittedly, is way more inconsistent. Some of those laser blasts are cut, but Vader crushing someone's throat, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's charred remains, bloody severed arms are left in?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin
Exactly the point - those edited blast hits those Imperial Officers tool are yet another head-scratching, contradictory decision by Lucas.

I always figured this change was an aesthetic choice, not a censorship one. No other laser blasts in the series flame up like they do in the first film.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

I always figured this change was an aesthetic choice, not a censorship one. No other laser blasts in the series flame up like they do in the first film.

They do in Empire when Stormtroopers are hit during the Cloud City shootout, as well as when Leia is shot in Jedi at the bunker door.

I've never seen the holiday special, other than a very poor-looking clip online of what's supposed to be a deleted scene from Star Wars featuring Vader walking down a corridor talking to an officer. The voice sounded more like it came from Empire, since Vader's voice is a little different in each film.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

Lucas already hedged on the original versions of Star Wars by releasing them on DVD.

I'd say there's a fair chance a "super duper" version of Star Wars will come out on Blu-Ray some day with the original cuts of the original films in addition to the new ones. Of course Lucas was never going to release everything at once.

A 3D Blu-Ray version will probably happen at some point too. But before people lynch Lucas for that, every movie studio does that with half their movie catalog.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Pete-D

Lucas already hedged on the original versions of Star Wars by releasing them on DVD.

Yeah but it's a different situation. Those DVDs were nearly 15 year old laserdisc transfers that essentially cost nothing to put out. If they release the OOT on Blu-ray, it would cost money that he has no interest in spending on what he sees as incomplete movies.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by TravisR

Yeah but it's a different situation. Those DVDs were nearly 15 year old laserdisc transfers that essentially cost nothing to put out. If they release the OOT on Blu-ray, it would cost money that he has no interest in spending on what he sees as incomplete movies.

I agree that they are pretty different situations, but the one thing that gives me hope is that Lucas apparently went out of his way to restore Star Wars' original opening crawl, without the "Episode IV: A New Hope" subtitle, for the DVD. The laserdisc transfer from which it was taken included the subtitle. So he obviously recognizes that there is some historical value and viewer interest in presenting the films as they were originally released.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Are we sure George Lucas had them remove the New Hope from the scroll? Couldn't it have just been a LucasFilm or Fox employee?

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks