What's new

STAR WARS ON BLU-RAY - FALL 2011 (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

I don't think everyone will be up in arms and raging over this, I think it will be the opposite for most fans - total apathy.

Yep. No anger, just a big, utterly bored yawn.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Didn't LEGO already do the Star Wars 3D conversion a long time ago? I'm pretty sure my kid's been playing that game for ages now... T'anks!

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Yep. No anger, just a big, utterly bored yawn.

Yep, people always have calm and rational reactions to Star Wars. I'd love for you guys to be right though because it might mean that the same complaints (warranted or unwarranted) might begin to stop after more than a decade.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Barring a major change in the financial viability of all things Star Wars, I'm sure we'll get restored versions of the originals some day, but maybe not when Lucas is still alive and personally making the decisions on such things.

I'd like to think that the same old arguments/complaints would go away soon, but I'm pretty sure the Internet was originally created for people to complain about Star Wars and liken the modern developments in the franchise to various sex crimes.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton

Either way, I'm looking forward to the announcement. Although I shudder to think about the inevitable anger and rage that it's bound to cause.

I don't think everyone will be up in arms and raging over this, I think it will be the opposite for most fans - total apathy.

[/QUOTE]

OK, this is the third time I've tried posting my response, and each time HTF includes only the quoted text and not my response...

The irony is that I was going to say how "Apathy" totally describes my feelings about this release, and now I've gone to such great lengths to post about how I don't care about something...

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
http://www.amazon.fr/Star-Wars-Lint%C3%A9grale-Coffret-Blu-ray/dp/B004HYGSXS?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294338094&sr=1-12&tag=bluraycom05-21

September 2011. Three different preorders on the site; The Saga, The Prequels, and the Originals...

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
At least it appears all the bonus stuff will be on 3 separate discs. If they put nothing but the film on each BD50, PQ/AQ bitrates should be sky high.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wonder how many people would buy just the prequel trilogy? I guess it's nice those who want it will have the option. Do such people exist?

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I will buy the complete saga on BD blindly.

The original versions Lucas is holding back he is quite right to do so. If you go back & watch the $250 Trilogy LD boxed Set in A New Hope you will see for almost the entire movie a strange colour shift on reds especially in the tatooine scenes which was caused by the film stock used having a manufacturing error which caused an inconsistent colour shift from frame to frame. Imagine the cost to frame by frame correct that & why so a few unhappy fans can say they have the "pure" version!!! Prequel Trilogy producer Rick McCallum spoke in the past about how bad the original elements are for the non SE trilogy & how they would be very expensive to repair which is one of the reasons why they were offered on the 2 disc DVDs a few years ago as is. If you put that out on 1080P everyone would complain its not just a matter of converting to HD it would take extensive frame by frame restoration.

I can live with the SE's which is what they will give us plus a few tweaks from ILM on Yoda have already been done so he got inserted into TPM plus I expect a few other ILM tweaks as they are also working on the 3D conversions as we speak so no doubt some of that will appear here.

No doubt this will be the biggest selling BD release this year..............

BillyGil

Insider
Real Name
Billy Gil
Coverage from Home Media Magazine: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/fox/star-wars-saga-blu-ray-arrives-september-21621 (updated correct link)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to wait and see what the picture quality is like on the (Sort-Of) Original Trilogy. Although I *much* prefer the non-SE, I know Lucas will never release it in HD. Frankly, I don't buy the "it's too expensive" line. This is Lucas we're talking about. He has the money to make an HD release at least look decent. He just won't bother when he knows that he'll still sell a gazillion copies of the tinkered-with versions.

Sorry. Had to release my Nerd Rage. It's mandatory with every new STAR WARS video release :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I don't buy the "it's too expensive" line. This is Lucas we're talking about. He has the money to make an HD release at least look decent. He just won't bother when he knows that he'll still sell a gazillion copies of the tinkered-with versions.
In fairness, although I'm sure Lucasfilm has the money to do a restoration, why would Lucas want to spend that kind of money for versions of the film he is unhappy with. I'm not necessailry defending his choice, but I could understand the logic.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I completely agree with Adam on this.

There's precious few details here, other than the note from The Digital Bits about higher bitrates for the movie discs, and a repeat of the announcement about deleted and alternate scenes. It sounds to me like they haven't worked out the special features yet, beyond a few basics.

The 30+ hours of features of course includes all the commentaries and special features from the earlier releases. So already that's over 12 hours of commentary alone. Assuming they do PIP or other U-Control-like materials, that's another 12. If you add in the materials from the SD releases, I believe that will add up to another 10 hours or so. Maybe another hour or so of deleted scenes from the original trilogy. And maybe a few other odds and ends.

But it will be nice to see Star Wars and Empire in full 1080p.

BTW if you watch closely, you'll see that if you want to get the deleted scenes and any other new goodies, you'll have to buy the full set. If you buy the 3-disc sets, you'll just get the movies with their commentaries and PIP stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks