STAR WARS ON BLU-RAY - FALL 2011

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

Yeah but it's a different situation. Those DVDs were nearly 15 year old laserdisc transfers that essentially cost nothing to put out. If they release the OOT on Blu-ray, it would cost money that he has no interest in spending on what he sees as incomplete movies.

Yeah but these are baby steps. 5-10 years ago he was saying the originals would never be released in any way, shape, or form. He's already made the biggest concession there by breaking that rule. Now the issue is basically is there enough of a market to justify cleaning up the originals (or even just parts of the originals that altered in the SEs) on Blu-Ray. He'll probably concede on this point in time too.

Because first the issue was the original versions couldn't exist period. Now they can exist, but he just can't be bothered to remaster the old footage. In a few years that could "magically" change again ... especially if they want to double/triple dip with a Blu-Ray release and need some kind of "sales hook" for it.

Call me crazy, but I think Lucas is going to greenlight more Star Wars movies in the near future (to be shot in 3D with him as a the producer) instead of that live action TV show that he's already hedging on seemingly (ie: he's already saying it's too expensive to shoot what he's written for the TV show on a TV budget).

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb

Originally Posted by Pete-D

Because first the issue was the original versions couldn't exist period. Now they can exist, but he just can't be bothered to remaster the old footage. In a few years that could "magically" change again ... especially if they want to double/triple dip with a Blu-Ray release and need some kind of "sales hook" for it.

Call me crazy, but I think Lucas is going to greenlight more Star Wars movies in the near future (to be shot in 3D with him as a the producer) instead of that live action TV show that he's already hedging on seemingly (ie: he's already saying it's too expensive to shoot what he's written for the TV show on a TV budget).

We'll get a top-notch remaster of the original versions eventually, even if it doesn't happen until Lucas passes and his children control the property (which is probably when we'll start to get remakes of the movies too).

I'm with you on new movies. I think his understanding that he can't do live-action Star Wars on TV will lead to first 3D conversions of the existing 6 movies and then another series of movies made in 3D that he'll just produce (and probably write the stories for). That's not to say those will come out quick though. Hasbro's toy license, I believe, is up after 2018, so any new movies won't hit until 2019.

Mike Frezon

Originally Posted by Pete-D

Originally Posted by robbbb1138

I'm with you on new movies. I think his understanding that he can't do live-action Star Wars on TV will lead to first 3D conversions of the existing 6 movies and then another series of movies made in 3D that he'll just produce (and probably write the stories for). That's not to say those will come out quick though.

IIRC--and I'm a most casual of Star Wars fan--wasn't the original idea between SW to be a nine part series?

I always thought it would be awesome to have Lucas dig into parts 7-9 (in some capacity) and be able to use actors who would have aged appropriately since the filming of the first three films (Hamill, Fisher, Ford, Williams, etc.).

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

IIRC--and I'm a most casual of Star Wars fan--wasn't the original idea between SW to be a nine part series?

And at one point, it was going to be 12 parts too. Basically, Lucas says that he narrowed the story to focus primarily on Anakin Skywalker and it became 6 parts.

Never say never but I think Lucas is currently happy playing in the Star Wars universe via the TV show (or shows when/if they get the live action series going). While he's the boss, he's not in charge of the day to day grind so that's a lot easier and likely more fun for him than spending a decade making new movies.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
My gut feeling is he saw Avatar and wants to get in on the 3D thing.

They've spent a couple of years writing on this TV show, so now if all that work is going to go down the tubes .... I dunno. I think he's going to shift gears here.

As for George just being a producer and letting someone else direct and handle the bulk of the writing duties ... that's just fine with me, lol.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
If they have written for 2 years on a new TV series, I think it's a safe bet that we'll see it released. I bet the Hasbro toy license has a clause that causes them to have to renegotiate if new material is released as well. Always in motion is the future.

cafink

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Why would Lucas have to wait until the toy license expires to make a new movie? What's the connection?

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by cafink

Why would Lucas have to wait until the toy license expires to make a new movie? What's the connection?

Hasbro's fee during the prequel era was insane (something like $2 billion for the 3 movies, if my memory is correct). The current agreement was a re-negotation of that deal, forged under the assumption that ROTS would be the last movie, which has implications for the projected revenue stream involved in the deal. Unless Hasbro's over-paying in the current deal, I think that the kind of change presented by new movies being on the way would either prompt a re-negotation of that deal or encourage Lucasfilm to just wait until that deal's up.

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5689

Tomorrow at 11:30 PST, a "most impressive" announcement will be made regarding the Blu-ray release of Star Wars: The Complete Saga. The event will be held at Panasonic's booth at the CES electronics fair in Las Vegas, which makes it likely that a 3D conversion of the Star Wars will also be a part of the announcement.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Fingers crossed that there will be a set, without the prequels. Whats the point for paying for 3 movies, I"ll never watch again ? If not, I can live with the dvds upscaled.

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'd like to see all six films, plus the three OT films in their theatrical versions, and the original making of- documentaries from 1977-1983. Sure, that's a lot of stuff, plus the usual DVD carry-over extras and whatever new extras, but if the Alien Anthology can have 50 HOURS of extras, why the hell not?

Martin Teller

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Bracing myself for disappointment on several fronts, but I'll probably buy whatever it is anyway.

Nick Martin

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
That the Alien Anthology set was the only way to get those films was the reason I never bothered with it because like the Prequels, I wasn't buying a set to get two films I'd never watch. This one would just make three films I'd never watch and three more films I'd watch once just to see what was changed yet again, and then never watch them afterward.

In other words, a rental.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I think there will be a six movie set (with no original versions) and since there was alot of material created for the DVDs and there's likely to be more here, there will be one or two bonus discs as well. And MAYBE there will be separate releases of the Special Edition original trilogy and the Prequel trilogy without any bonus discs.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the announcement. Although I shudder to think about the inevitable anger and rage that it's bound to cause.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I hope they've gone back to fix some of the mistakes from the 2004 dvd like the lightsabers (seriously, how did ILM screw them up? There are tons of video's on YouTube with better looking and properly coloured lightsabers), fix the swapped surrounds on the music tracks and hopefully they've replaced that awful looking Yoda puppet in The Phantom Menace with the cgi version from episodes 2 and 3.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ChadMcCallum

I hope they've gone back to fix some of the mistakes from the 2004 dvd like the lightsabers (seriously, how did ILM screw them up? There are tons of video's on YouTube with better looking and properly coloured lightsabers), fix the swapped surrounds on the music tracks and hopefully they've replaced that awful looking Yoda puppet in The Phantom Menace with the cgi version from episodes 2 and 3.

Nothing more than a guess but I think there will be some corrections. Fixing the surrounds is virtually guaranteed. Also, the CG Yoda in The Phantom Menace seems like a lock since the Star Wars In Concert and I think The Clone Wars DVD/Blu-ray both used footage featuring the new Yoda.

RobertR

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
I fully expect this to be a nonevent for those who want the original films.

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
Originally Posted by RobertR I think this is a safe assumption. The Emperor will never release these films as they were originally conceived. He doesn't have enough money to restore the OOT, but he has more than enough to convert the franchise to 3D. That says it all, when it comes to ever seeing a properly restored release of the original films.

Nick Martin

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

Either way, I'm looking forward to the announcement. Although I shudder to think about the inevitable anger and rage that it's bound to cause.

I don't think everyone will be up in arms and raging over this, I think it will be the opposite for most fans - total apathy.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell