What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: A New Hope (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Are you enjoying the Star Wars4k titles?

I’ve only watched a couple of them. A new Hope was a must.

have you compared your 4k digital copy to the 4k discs?
I watched each of the titles once after I purchased them, was happy with the video and audio quality. I have not watched any of the digital copies. I wouldn't do that from home if I also own the discs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Alright so I’ll see how badly I want them next time DMC runs 60% off, and keep an eye for a Target B2G1 type deal as well. It’s not an urgent priority for me but I appreciate all of the info, now I know what to look for.

It’s funny, every previous home video release of Star Wars got me super excited and were day one purchases and I guess I’ve just bought it too many times in my life because I feel no excitement towards buying these.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Alright so I’ll see how badly I want them next time DMC runs 60% off, and keep an eye for a Target B2G1 type deal as well. It’s not an urgent priority for me but I appreciate all of the info, now I know what to look for.

It’s funny, every previous home video release of Star Wars got me super excited and were day one purchases and I guess I’ve just bought it too many times in my life because I feel no excitement towards buying these.

understood.

I felt the same even though I did order all of them too.

I think for me having access to them on Disney+ kind of ruined the buying experience.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched each of the titles once after I purchased them, was happy with the video and audio quality. I have not watched any of the digital copies. I wouldn't do that from home if I also own the discs.

cool. Did any of them standout?

I watched many of them on Disney+ before getting the UHd Blu rays.

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I saw Star Wars over 30 times at the Loews Astor Plaza in Manhattan in ‘77-’78. I’m not going to pretend I accurately remember what it looked like 43 years ago, but I will say, at least to me, this 4K disc looks pretty close to what my mind’s eye remembers seeing on that screen so long ago. (Maclunkey, etc. aside of course). I‘m very much enjoying this disc.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
cool. Did any of them standout?

I watched many of them on Disney+ before getting the UHd Blu rays.
For image quality, the most recent three probably look the best -- and the version of The Last Jedi that I own is the previous release that is encoded in Dolby Vision. The original three look great to me, and are my favorites.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
For image quality, the most recent three probably look the best -- and the version of The Last Jedi that I own is the previous release that is encoded in Dolby Vision. The original three look great to me, and are my favorites.

i saw empire in the theater a week or so ago. It looked great.

I should watch empire again here at home to compare. Rotj too.

the prequels should get a watch too. It’s been a while where I’ve actually sat and watched them.

I also would like to watch rise of skywalker again too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw Star Wars over 30 times at the Loews Astor Plaza in Manhattan in ‘77-’78. I’m not going to pretend I accurately remember what it looked like 43 years ago, but I will say, at least to me, this 4K disc looks pretty close to what my mind’s eye remembers seeing on that screen so long ago. (Maclunkey, etc. aside of course). I‘m very much enjoying this disc.

I was too young to see the original in the theater. My dad took my brother and I to the other two in the 80s. I have fond memories of seeing them in the theater.

we were kind of late in the vhsscene too.I got my Star Wars fill by listening to the long lp story versions on vinyl.

My sons now get to listen to those. We don’t watch the films that often. My 3 year old is really into the read along books of Star Trek the
Motion picture and some of the other Disney ones too.

I should figure out a while to get digital versions for the car.
Oh! One more random Star Wars note. The last Jedi soundtrack on vinyl dropped to $12 a week or so ago. I picked up 2 copies. One to gift and one for me.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

This is the first time I won't be buying. I have the blu-ray set and have never watched them. If by some miracle the original versions of the first three get released, I'll buy those.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This is the first time I won't be buying. I have the blu-ray set and have never watched them. If by some miracle the original versions of the first three get released, I'll buy those.

understood. I really thought both versions would happen this time.

I think with each release I watch that version less and less.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was too young to see the original in the theater. My dad took my brother and I to the other two in the 80s. I have fond memories of seeing them in the theater.
I was a teenager when the first film hit the theaters, so I saw each of the first three films when they originally were in the theaters. Fast forward to The Phantom Menance, and I was married by then so my wife and I saw that one in the theater, too. I cannot remember if we saw episodes 2 or 3 on the big screen, but I know we didn't go to the theater for 7-9 or the two offshoots -- we've only seen those via home video. Our movie theater visits became few and far between over the past 10 years.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was one year out of high school when Star Wars opened in 1977, and I'll never forget the sight of of the Star Destroyer chasing Leia's Corvette in that now classic opening scene. It absolutely FILLED the huge drive-in movie theater screen where I saw the movie for the first time, and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever witnessed in cinema.

Since then I've seen every Star Wars film with the exception of Solo on the big screen, because IMO that's the best way to experience them.

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
we were kind of late in the vhsscene too.I got my Star Wars fill by listening to the long lp story versions on vinyl.

I loved The Story of Star Wars LP. Played it to death along with the Soundtrack album. There was also a very good Story on LP for Raiders of the Lost Ark, probably the best of its kind. No narration just a very condensed presentation of the movie. I remember the sound effects were particularly vibrant on that album.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was one year out of high school when Star Wars opened in 1977, and I'll never forget the sight of of the Star Destroyer chasing Leia's Corvette in that now classic opening scene. It absolutely FILLED the huge drive-in movie theater screen where I saw the movie for the first time, and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever witnessed in cinema.

Since then I've seen every Star Wars film with the exception of Solo on the big screen, because IMO that's the best way to experience them.
Leia's Corvette?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I wonder if it comes in a convertible model?

1595946846048.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks