What's new

Pre-Order Star Wars: A New Hope (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It seems like I have read (on this forum) that even if Lucas wanted to, I couldn’t release the OT because it no longer exists. Am I right or is my memory a piece of #$@%. I’m I”m wrong, please be kind. If I’m right, how have these original 4K editions been created?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It seems like I have read (on this forum) that even if Lucas wanted to, I couldn’t release the OT because it no longer exists. Am I right or is my memory a piece of #$@%. I’m I”m wrong, please be kind. If I’m right, how have these original 4K editions been created?

It exists. Just not in oneg quality. All the 4k editions have been from 3rd and 4th gen release prints although 2nd gen IPs are arround at Fox.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes IIRC he's claimed multiple times that the original negatives no longer exist, that when he did the SEs, the process ended up destroying the oneg as we know it (kind of like when Darth Vader emerged, the man who was Luke's father was destroyed...the parallels are thick).

That said, we've seen what Criterion and other companies have been able to release even without the original oneg. There are enough prints in private hands that could likely be culled together and people like our very own RAH could work their magic on it and create an extremely satisfactory 2K (maybe even 4K) product. Look at what the 4K77 folks have been able to do, and they're nowhere near as skilled as RAH and likely don't have access to the powerful tools and resources RAH (and his contemporaries) would have.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm betting he knows and he just plain doesn't care. He's not unaware of what he's done and how he's angered a small percentage of the fanbase...

han-shot-first.jpg
In the bottom picture, is that Allison Janey. Looks like her.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I still have my 2006 non-anamorphic DVDs (in the special tin from Beat Buy). On a tube tv they look extremely good. I had a big heavy Sony Trinitron I would watch them on.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I don't know what work went into it, but to my eyes the versions on Disney+ don't have the heavily over-saturated colours and crushed blacks of the blu-rays.

I don't know about this comparison video. When I watched the Disney+ "Maclunkey" version of A New Hope on my screen, it was very dark and still had the heavy blue tint in the "white" ship corridors that this video claims was fixed. Countless parts of the movie still screamed of being a very old, over-processed master.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't know about this comparison video. When I watched the Disney+ "Maclunkey" version of A New Hope on my screen, it was very dark and still had the heavy blue tint in the "white" ship corridors that this video claims was fixed. Countless parts of the movie still screamed of being a very old, over-processed master.
Are you watching in 4K? I still have a 1080p plasma, so my observations were based on the HD feed. They still have an over-processed, digital look, but not nearly as bad as the blu-rays.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Didn't they release the original versions on DVD?

Yes, they did!

But the 4:3, laserdisc transfers.

The did it least create a new scan of the opening crawl for Star Wars without the added "Episode IV - A New Hope" title. In fact, the quality is quite good what whole time - for being non-anamorphic - including the pan-down to Tatooine. The detail on the next closest planet in the distance is fairly clear compared to the same shot on the actual laserdisc. It stays with that new scan through the Star Destroyer's overhead pass. The quality noticeably drops with the reverse view of the Blockade Runner coming toward the camera and from then on for the rest of the film - smudgy/laggy movements from the early 90s digital cleanup and all.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The did it least create a new scan of the opening crawl for Star Wars without the added "Episode IV - A New Hope" title.

Did they actually do a new scan of that part, or just digitally paint out the words? I had assumed the latter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They didn’t paint out the words. If you watch closely you’ll notice the timing on the crawl is slightly different in that version vs the versions that say A New Hope.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Are you watching in 4K? I still have a 1080p plasma, so my observations were based on the HD feed. They still have an over-processed, digital look, but not nearly as bad as the blu-rays.

Yes, I streamed in 4k. It's probably the HDR grade that makes everything so dark. It's a very underwhelming effort. The movie has no highlights that extend beyond SDR range. I did not try to stream in SDR, and I'm not sure if my Roku would even let me.

I switched over to watch the Blu-ray of Empire Strikes Back because I was so annoyed with the streaming version.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
They didn’t paint out the words. If you watch closely you’ll notice the timing on the crawl is slightly different in that version vs the versions that say A New Hope.

Interesting. I didn't buy those DVDs because I already had the Laserdiscs and it seemed a worthless "upgrade."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks