What's new

Star Wars 3 disc set. Or, the biggest waste of money this year... (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
These have to be the original cuts of the films. As impossible as that sounds, it's the only way this makes any sense. It does use the original coverart, and they're only speculating that these are the exact same discs.

Brendon

Second Unit
Do we know that this release is for real ? I find it rather hard to believe given the first DVD issue was so recent and that it is still so readily available.

Until this is forthcoming in a press release from Lucasfilm/Fox I think any discussion as to content or "corrections" is a little premature.

Brendon

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
its real.
it was rumored for ages that there would be a cut down set for the release of episode 3 before the 2006/7 ultimate box (before the next one)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Much better box art. And no way are they the original cuts.

Why? I take it you held out on buying the previous set? If the surrounds are corrected, that goes against their claims that there are NO problems with the current DVD set. If that's the case, there will be alot of angry people.

Rolando

Screenwriter
hmmm this is odd. Why the re-release? The original box is not OOP as far as I know. Is it?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
This almost confirms a Prequel Trilogy Box Set this year...but the question is, are there differences?

Probably not, but why re-release it? And if there is a Prequel Box Set on the same day, is there any changes to that, say Digital Yoda and new transfer of Episode?

Again, probably not going to happen at all but it doesn't make sense to re-release the Original Trilogy. Prequel Box Set, I can see. But not this.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I hope this consists of the original versions - otherwise, what's the real point (outside of the legion of Star Wars completists)?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Assuming it's the same discs, my sister may just be inheriting my original box set (minus the fourth disc, heh heh). I love the original ANH poster art.

But, really, I can probably resist. She doesn't care that much about the movies, and I can't see the box art when it's sitting on the shelf.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
As much as I would LOVE to think this is the REAL Original Trilogy, I would be shocked if that were the case. I just can't see that being kept quiet so long. I sure wish that it were the unaltered originals though. I really enjoy the current set, but I would definitely pay for official releases of the unedited, un-cgi'ed versions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's the same set without Disc Four and in a different package. I doubt George Lucas, who has spent the last eight years saying that the originals are incomplete, is going to suddenly release the original movies without much fanfare. Sure the guy changes his mind but I don't think he'll be making that drastic of a change. If he ever does release them (which I doubt), you'll know months and months in advance.

I love Star Wars but I'm not getting this for a new box. Gimme some new content and I'll gladly re-buy it like a sucker! :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Yes, because the Special Editions are now just the regular editions (without any special labels) if that makes any sense. Lucas has stated that the original versions are no longer what he considers to be the version of Star Wars he made.

If they were the original versions, it would probably be something like 'Archival Edition'.

Too bad there is no branching feature to watch all the many variations of the films.

This new box set release really puzzles me.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Even though DVD Answers states that the set will go for around $49.98, I'm betting it will be sold at a much lower price than that -- bargain style pricing.

It's probably aimed at the parents who will buy it for there kids as a gift for Christmas.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. They're re-releasing it with a new cover, it will be a 'new' release so stores will get a pretty good number of copies, that will catch people's eye, and people with kids who loved Episode III will pick up the set for the holidays.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I much prefer the new cover art... but unless the audio is corrected on these discs, I will definitely be passing.

I can see al the SW nerds complaining on messageboards right now and than rushing out on release day to add this to their collection. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks