What's new

Star Wars 3 disc set. Or, the biggest waste of money this year... (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Stores will order more if it's 'new'. It will be featured in ads and new release sections that week and sell more copies. It doesn't make sense but dropping the price $10 isn't going to get as many copies in the store as a new box will get. Like you said, most stores have tons of them already so they have no incentive to order more but if it's new then it makes sense to order them:)

Brendon

Second Unit

Same question here in England. The existing release is still piled high in HMVs and the like around the country with a £10 discount on it to boot.

That said, Fox/Lucasfilm did put out an issue of the OT on VHS in 1994, advertised as being from "New PAL masters for improved picture and sound quality". True enough, they were better than previous VHS editions and I bought them.

The following year was the PAL THX VHS issues came out and sold like hot cakes, despite the issues of not 12 months before. Of course the "Last chance to own!" and the limited edition Executor box set, replicating the Definitive Collection LD extras, helped enormously.

Still, I do find it difficult to believe that retailers will buy this in in any great quantities given that they are having to discount their current stock to shift it.

It will be interesting to note any change of content, should there be any.

Brendon

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I never did get around to buying the previous release of the trilogy, so I'll definitely be getting this. I'm not worried about losing the 4th disc. I just like that the price is reduced. The box art looks sweet too.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
The box art is different, but I'll betcha the individual keepcase art is unchanged. This makes me wonder what the inevitable prequel trilogy box art will look like.

BillyR

Agent
Why do I get the feeling there will be a Prequel Trilogy box set released along side this re-released original Trilogy box set? ;)

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
In the "Making of ROTS" book it mentioned that while approving the DVD's of the OT Lucas noticed another scene in ESB that he wanted to have redone for a "future rerelease." Well technically this new set is a future rerelease so it kind of makes you wonder.... ;)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I wonder if the sound on Star Wars will be fixed with this re-issue. I seriously doubt it, but it would be a nice surprise. I think Fox should send a screener copy to Neil S. Bulk so he can tell them if the music surrounds are still reveresed...

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I think hell will freeze over before a DTS track appears on a Star Wars DVD. Doesn't Lucas have some kind of business relationship that ties him to Dolby?

Brendon

Second Unit

Dolby and THX were co-creators of the Dolby Digital Ex extension. THX at the time were a wholly owned subsidiary of Lucasfilm.

The initial home implementation of Dolby Digital Ex was solely THX Surround Ex, exclusivity THX held for a period.

I'm not sure if there are any contractual agreements for Lucasfilm/THX/Dolby for Lucasfilm projects to solely use DD on home formats, but something remains. To wit usage of Dolby only formats on The Indy Jones trilogy - directed by the one of DTS' biggest advocates for home usage, Steven Spielberg.

Brendon

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

i doubt it THX now work with DTS and all the prequel's and special eds were in DTS theatrically so mixes were made.
Lucas isnt stupid he knows when fools like me have bought star wars for the last time the DTS edtions will come out

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
DTS and Dolby use the same 6 track mix, they are just different carriers. So does SDDS, when it's not an 8 channel mix, which I don't think is used anymore.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
So is it confirmed that there are new easter eggs on these discs? If so, wouldn't that mean that these are not the EXACT same discs as in the previous box set? And if so, a corrected surround music track COULD be possible. Doubtful, but could......

:) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks