What's new

Directors Star Turns! A Movie Tournament! (2 Viewers)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
hudson
spacey

what has happened to kevin spacey? he gives us brilliant turns in glengarry glenn ross, seven, the usual suspects, american beauty, l.a. confidential (even the negotiator wasn't that bad); but lately? k-pax, pay it forward, david gale--yuck

although, the bit in goldmember was great!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
what has happened to kevin spacey? he gives us brilliant turns in glengarry glenn ross, seven, the usual suspects, american beauty, l.a. confidential (even the negotiator wasn't that bad); but lately? k-pax, pay it forward, david gale--yuck
Still, his record isn't nearly as bad as Abraham's, who has appeared in how many low-rent films since Amadeus?

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Tough call on the first one. I'll have to give the edge to Hudson though, if only because she was able to bring in $100+ million recently as star of a film generally acknowledged to be terrible. Then again, Lithgow rarely ever gives a bad performance, Garp included... Oh well, can't go back on my first choice in the Dream Girls draft. :)

Kevin Spacey - as bad has his last three years have been, he's never starred in a bastardized Laurel and Hardy remake starring Bronson Pinchot. I almost fell off my chair when the trailer for that said, "...and Academy Award winner, F. Murray Abraham." FWIW, I think Abraham's performance was the better of the two.

Evan

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Interesting - I figured Lithgow would take the first match.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Kate Hudson wins 5 - 1.
Kevin Spacey wins 10 - 0.

Round 1 - Bracket 3

Amelie - Audrey Tatou

vs.

The Untouchables - Andy Garcia

Round 1 - Bracket 4

Back to the Future - Michael J. Fox

vs.

The Terminator - Arnold Schwarzenegger

My votes:

Andy Garcia
Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Tough choice!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The Untouchables - Andy Garcia - The fact that Audrey Tatou is a star is news to me. :)

The Terminator - Arnold Schwarzenneger - Even though Conan put him on the map. Michael J. Fox was already a star from Family Ties.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Audrey Tatou has the potential to become a star based on her performance in Amelie. However, it's too early to tell. As for Garcia, The Untouchables certainly gave him a big boost, though I wouldn't say he's a star. A so-so decision for me.

Michael J. Fox's tv stardom didn't factor in on my voting. Both he and Schwarzenegger became big movie stars (though they have both faded in recent years) with the latter arguably being the bigger, though, for the most part, they were featured in different types of films - Fox mostly in comedies and Schwarzenegger mostly in action/sf flicks.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Abstain - Too early to tell for me with Audrey (which would've been my answer for the Kate Hudson vote if she hadn't brought in the bucks with How to Lose a Guy...)

Arnold - Both are perfectly cast, but Arnold has proven the bigger star in the years since.

Evan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Untouchables - Though I don't really think it fits because Garcia isn't that big a star, but I guess this was his most visible early vehicle.

The Terminator - Easily. Arnold was generally regarded as a joke before this, even including Conan.

Since I just joined this thread, I have to say some of the picks surprise me. Many of you know how much I like The Man in the Moon and I think Reese was simply astounding in it, but I'm disappointed to see it here instead of Election. The fact is, outside HTF, TMITM still remains relatively unknown and Election is really what put her on the map.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Since I just joined this thread, I have to say some of the picks surprise me. Many of you know how much I like The Man in the Moon and I think Reese was simply astounding in it, but I'm disappointed to see it here instead of Election. The fact is, outside HTF, TMITM still remains relatively unknown and Election is really what put her on the map.
Well, I added her to the noms list just for you. :)

I do remember Reese being noted for her performance when TMITM first came out so it's debatable as to whether it or Election could be called her "star turn."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks