What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Great! Thanks everybody. I'll post a mini review when we have time to watch it. At this point we have a back log of episodes of: "Only Murders In The Building", "Shorzy", "Ms. Marvel", two episodes of "The Orville", and various cooking shows. You know, I used to complain, but remember the time every show switched to summer re-runs and we could poke our noses outside?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Well, we saw it. I was able to give a warning to “the wife”, and she watched parts without her glasses — that’s here usual technique.! 😐Otherwise we thoroughly enjoyed the episode except for the sad part at the end. It will be interesting to
see the last episode, because episode 9 had a really end of the series feeling.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else catch the author's name of Rukiya's YA-novel...??

View attachment 142710
One theory I've always thought was fun is that the existence of Benny Russell is the main difference that set the timeline of the Prime continuity on a different path than real history.

His speculative fiction inspired major leaps forward in science and technology, especially in areas like genetic engineering. Those advances came before humanity was ready for them, making the latter half of the twentieth century far more harrowing and destructive than in our timeline, including the Eugenic Wars in the nineties. But they also inspired humanity to seek out a better path in the aftermath of World War III.

"Picard" S2 punctured that a little bit; while the very-near future of the Prime continuity does allude to some past events that didn't happen in our timeline, and there are things like sanctuary districts and national identification cards that don't exist in our timeline, the 2024 of "Picard" was very, very similar to what our 2024 is likely to be.

But the idea that one visionary could inspire both the worst and the best in humanity is still a captivating one.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ortegas: "Sir, is this gonna be a standup fight, or another bug-hunt?"
Spock: "All we know is that we have a derelict starship, and a Xenomorph may be involved."
Ortegas: "...A what?"
Spock: "It's a bug-hunt."
La'an: "All I need to know is one thing... where they are."
Uhura: "Kick ass, La'an!"
La'an: "Anytime, anywhere."
Ortegas: "Right, right... someone said 'alien,' she thought they said 'illegal alien,' and joined Starfleet."
La'an: "Fuck you, Ortegas!!"
Ortegas: "Anytime, anywhere..."
Pike: "All right, you people. Listen up. I want transporter-prep, weapons check, and pompadour gel ready to go by 0700."
::Groans:: ::Ortegas raises her hand.::
Pike: "What is it, Lieutenant?"
Ortegas: "How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit??"
Una: "Secure that shit, Ortegas!! You heard the man, and you know the drill! Assholes and elbows! Ortegas! Come here... come HERE..."

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s good JoshEH! I couldn’t help but think that too. Don’t forget Samual Kirk as Hudson. :)

This reminds me of Berman Era Star Trek also borrowing from hit films, these came to mind:

TNG Starship Mine- Die Hard on a starship
DS9; Banda-Bing Badda-Bang- Ocean’s 11
VOY: Macrocosm- Aliens Janeway as Ripley.
ENT: Dawn- Enemy Mine

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TIL that the boy who played the First Servant sacrificed by the Majalans in the sixth episode and the girl who played the sole survivor of the Gorn aboard the USS Peregrine in the ninth episode are fraternal twins.
Emma Ho and Ian Ho with Christina Chong

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TIL that the boy who played the First Servant sacrificed by the Majalans in the sixth episode and the girl who played the sole survivor of the Gorn aboard the USS Peregrine in the ninth episode are fraternal twins.
View attachment 143838
Jeez, what a difference in height.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Probably just a combination of her being above average height, him being below average height, and them both being at that age where girls are usually quite a bit taller than boys.

Or just a matter of the randomness of individual characteristics. Being "fraternal" twins instead of identical twins (which they can't be, as identical twins must be the same sex) means that they can end up being as different as if they were born years apart. Because fraternal twins are the result of separate sperm-ovum pairs.

I don't watch that show, but Wikipedia says you're right.

As soon as I read Josh's remark, I said, "OMG! He's right!"

You really should be watching The Expanse, though.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll second Jerry's remark, Adam. You really should be watching The Expanse. It is easily one of the best "hard SF" series to ever be produced. It is remarkably consistent and uniformly excellent. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Getting back to this show, here's the preview for Thursday's finale:

Based on the attacking being on Outpost 4, and the audio only communication, I'm guessing the attacker is Romulan.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I saw another trailer online that lines up with Adam's guess concerning the antagonists in the season finale. Looking forward to the next episode, but not the wait for season two.

- Walter.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Nooooooooooo!!! I loved Hemmer.

I just finished episode 9 and it was great but, I hated the ending because I liked the character so much (I don't really hate the ending, I'm just in shock).

Jeez, what a difference in height.
I have fraternal twins and their height difference is about the same. My poor son. He is going into 7th grade and still gets confused for a 3rd/4th grader. My daughter, his twin sister, is as tall as me (which isn't saying much, I'm 5'3").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks