What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Episode two of the second season of SNW is not only the best episode of the series as yet (which is saying something for only 12 episodes), I'll go so far, after only two viewings, of saying that “Ad Astra Per Aspera” is one of the best Star Trek episodes I've ever seen. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but it's stellar. Top twenty, all-time, in my opinion.
Star Trek has done a lot of great courtroom episodes over the years on the various series, and this was right up there with the best of them.

I was worried that it would suffer from David E. Kelley syndrome, where the court case just serves as a forum for the writers to espouse their opinions. But while there are clear allegorical parallels that can be drawn to the current fraught debates over asylum laws and gender-affirming care for transgender people, what the episode was driving at was something more fundamental: The Federation is presented as a utopian society, and sees itself as a utopian society. And yet a strict application of the letter of the law would result in an outcome that is antithetical to many of those utopian ideals.

Batel's boss wanted to make the case a narrow one: to him, it was a simple matter of applying the clear language of the statute in accordance with how that statute has been commonly understood and applied in previous precedent. Una's lawyer wanted to make it about a much broader clash between the unfeeling letter of the law and the broader principles and ideals that the law was meant to uphold. To do that, she first made it clear to the panel of judges that the case against Una Chin-Riley was indeed counter to the Federation's principles and ideals. And then, once she had convinced them of that, she found a loophole that would allow them an out without having to undermine the Federation's entire legal framework surrounding genetic modification.

The writers had to thread that same needle, too; we know from DS9 that the strict laws regarding genetic enhancements are still on the books well into the 24th century. So they had to find a way to get Una back on the Enterprise without upsetting the larger apple cart.

One thing I really appreciated about this episode is the portrayal of the law as a specialized legal discipline. Starfleet is a quasi-military armada, and so it makes sense that Una's trial would take the form of a court-martial. Starfleet apparently doesn't require juries for courts-martial, or Una has waived her right to one. But it's still an adversarial proceeding with both the panel of judges and both sides consisting of trained legal professionals.

While it wasn't explicitly established as such in the first season, it seems clear that Captain Batel has a legal background and that the USS Cayuga is deployed for missions on behalf of Starfleet's Judge Advocate General Corps.

Too often in Star Trek, the captain ends up serving as defense attorney, or another senior officer on the ship. Even though it usually works out in the end, that always seemed to me to be a gross disservice to the defendant. I particularly liked when Una pointed out the conflict of interest inherent in her assigned defense counsel serving under Captain Batel's command, when Batel is serving as prosecutor.

And I also appreciated the episode's exploration of the conflicting priorities that can result from high-profile court cases. The NAACP famously took on cases that would challenges laws it found unjust, sometimes even strategically baiting arrests for laws that it wanted to challenge. In the decades since, many other groups with their own objectives and ideologies have used similar tactics. The upside if you're the defendant is that you get world-class lawyers representing you that you would never be able to afford normally. But the downside is that those lawyers might be more interested in scoring points for their agenda than securing the best possible outcome for their client.

Una knew that her old friend had only taken her case reluctantly, after Pike's personal intervention, because it provided a high-profile platform for her to challenge the Federation's hypocrisies when it came to the Illyrians. She had good reason to believe that her lawyer cared more about exposing those hypocrisies than she did about getting Una acquitted. But that would have been a violation of her ethical obligations, and she was a good enough lawyer that she could kill two birds with one stone.

Lots of good human stuff, too. That Pike would go to the lengths that he went speaks volumes about who he is as a person, as a commanding officer, and as a friend. One my favorite scenes was between Robert April and Christopher Pike in Pike's quarters. April is pissed because he feels like Una's lawyer engaged in character assassination against him, and he knows that Pike went to great lengths to recruit her for Una's defense. Pike understands April's anger and sense of betrayal, but he's unapologetic about securing the best possible defense for his first officer, even if that means his mentor has to take it on the chin a little in the process.

The payoff with Lian was good, too, as Una's lawyer helps her reframe her perspective on being Khan's descendant. I think this is the first time the show confirmed that she had inherited certain superhuman traits from her distant Augment ancestor. While she is clearly not an outright übermensch like Khan and the other OG Augments, or even Una herself, it does explain her extraordinary proficiency in a number of areas that helped her excel over her unenhanced peers.

The Vulcan prosecutor might have been played a bit too heavy handed, but that is a minor critique.
If Spock can't stand him, then you know he's got to be pretty darn obnoxious. And it's another example of a Vulcan whose emotions aren't as suppressed as they might like everyone to believe. While it's true that Vulcans will be more impervious to the logical fallacies that can result from emotional appeals, it clear that he was motivated by ego rather than the law. He wanted to convict Una, because that was his objective. Whether that was the just outcome or not was, for him, immaterial.

Also of note was Melanie Scrofano's appearance (Captain Batel) as one of the prosecutors. She is one of my favorite recurring guest stars and I was happy to see her have a fair amount of screen time in this episode.
She was terrific in this episode. Batel was put in a very difficult spot, with her professional obligations diametrically opposed to her personal allegiances. She tried her damnedest to get Una off light, and then when Una shot down the plea deal she did her best to keep Pike from being collateral damage. I don't know that all of her choices were the right ones; certainly there's an argument to be made that she compromised both her professional obligations and her personal allegiances over the course of this episode. But I don't know that I would have been able to navigate that situation any better had I been in her shoes. What was clear to me is the empathy that she felt toward Una. And that she believes the prosecution's role is to secure a just outcome, not simply a victory for the sake of a victory.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Should have been the first ep of the season and if they needed a Pike-less show they could have easily contrived another reason to do it later in the season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Should have been the first ep of the season and if they needed a Pike-less show they could have easily contrived another reason to do it later in the season.
While I found this episode vastly superior to the season premiere, I still think the season premiere was necessary. This episode would have been a lot less satisfying if Lian's subplot had been left out because she was still off finding Oriana's family. And picking up the season with her already back from her leave of absence wouldn't have given her departure the weight it deserved.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
In no particular order, here are my top twenty all-time favorite Star Trek episodes. I am not saying they are the best. I am saying they are the twenty I rewatch the most. Strange New World's Ad Astra per Aspera is the first new entry on my list in more than two decades. I have already watched it four times.

In no particular order my favorite 20:

In the Pale Moonlight (DS9)
The Visitor (DS9)
The Siege of AR-558 (DS9)

Timeless (VOY)
Year of Hell (VOY)

The Best of Both Worlds (TNG)
Relics (TNG)
The Inner Light (TNG)
Booby Trap (TNG)

Yesteryear (TAS)

Corbomite Maneuver (TOS)
The Doomsday Machine (TOS)
Amok Time (TOS)
City on the Edge of Forever (TOS)
Journey to Babel (TOS)
Devil in the Dark (TOS)
Balance of Terror (TOS)

Ad Astra per Aspera (SNW)

Similitude (ENT)
Shuttle Pod One (ENT)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In terms of Star Trek's courtroom episodes, I'd put this right up there with The Measure of a Man (TNG), which I've long considered the best of Trek's legal dramas.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Also of note was Melanie Scrofano's appearance (Captain Batel) as one of the prosecutors. She is one of my favorite recurring guest stars and I was happy to see her have a fair amount of screen time in this episode.

I actually had a problem with that. Not Scrofano herself...I was a fan of her Wynonna Earp series, and am happy she has a recurring part in this series. The problem I had is that she was given a role in the episode that she shouldn't have had. Batel has a romantic/sexual relationship with Una's captain, which is clearly a legal conflict of interest. She should've recused herself as prosectutor, or Una shouldn't have okayed her as such. The Vulcan (Pasalak? I think his name was) would've served just as well as prosecutor, and the only point of Batel being involved was for no reason other than causing a rift in her relationship with Pike.

The other legal issue that bothered me was the question of Starfleet's evidence in bringing the charges against Una. Neera didn't know who the fink was, and even asked La'An to try and find out. If the source of the information was known to the Starfleet, then that information needed to be shared with Neera, as part of discovery. If it was an anonymous tip, and Starfleet didn't know the fink's identity, then the question becomes by what evidence did they corroborate the fink's story?

It became obvious to my wife and I that Una had to have ratted herself out for some reason, and that secret was kept in order to spring as an almost-last-minute surprise for dramatic purposes. In the meantime, the concept of fruit of the poisonous tree is introduced as a red herring to suggest that that's how Una is going to get off.

It all ends up with what Justice Scalia so nicely dubbed "legal argle-bargle".

That said, the legal issues involved still weren't as bad as the ones in TNG's "The Measure of a Man" or DS9's "Dax". And in the end, we got a nicely done classic Trek view of social justice (it seemed clear to us that this was a commentary on the current divisive issue of...let's say "body modifications").

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
S2 E1 is now available on YT free with no ads. Hopefully other episodes will follow?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a feeling episode 2 would involve Una’s trial and I watched Court Martial ahead of viewing Ad Astra per Aspera.

I did not have any idea how the writers would get Una out of this situation and it was a very Star Trek-ian solution I thought in how Ketoul‘s defense argument went. Star Trek’s utopian future is all about inclusion and it made sense as part of Una’s defense. It was a well done episode.

My nit with the episode was Captain Batel. I kept thinking why is she acting as a prosecutor? Isn’t she a starship captain like Pike? So I didn’t understand how the writers figured that one out. I can see why Starfleet would have ordered Batel to arrest Una as her starship was in the same neighborhood as the Enterprise. As Jerry said above, it seemed to only add dramatic conflict between her and Pike. I also kept thinking, was this some sort of homage to Kirk and Ariel Shaw on opposite sides of the law.

And I also agree with Jerry in how did Una expose herself as an Illyrian? And there wasn’t an investigation before she was arrested? Perhaps I missed what happened during the trial, but Una just blurted out that she confessed to being an Illyrian and then I guess the Starfleet brass said, ok, we’re going to arrest you.

I am also wondering now, the planet that Ketoul is from is a planet populated by Illyrians. Since they are genetically altered and I assume like Una, altered by their ancestors, then it’s not like they are actively still doing it? I only saw the episode once and I’ll have to re-watch it. I just had the impression they settled on this world as they were finding a place to live. And I assume it’s a world the Federation has no diplomatic ties to and is not a member of the Federation. So I guess there is no issues that Una’s lawyer can come from a race of people who the Federation apparently has a great prejudice towards.

Maybe I’m just asking too many questions after seeing the episode. At any rate, I’m glad they resolved Una’s situation and we can move on.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
In terms of Star Trek's courtroom episodes, I'd put this right up there with The Measure of a Man (TNG), which I've long considered the best of Trek's legal dramas.

Another example of legal argle-bargle. It was even worse that its writer Melinda Snodgrass had been a lawyer before deciding on a career as a writer. The whole episode was forced by auctorial intent to ignore anything that would get in the way of what Snodgress wanted to say regarding the legal issue.

First, the issue shouldn't have been of such concern that it had to be dealt with right away. If there was a good reason that it had to be, the JAG officer could've ruled in a hearing that Data had to be returned to Starfleet Command for a more legally reasonable hearing on the issue of Data's status as a being with the full rights of a citizen of the Federation. That she instead forced Riker to be adversarial -- to the point where she threatened to rule in Maddox's favor if she felt Riker wasn't trying his utmost to (possibly) destroy his friend -- was legally unconscionable.

But the central question was "Is Data a sentient being with the full rights accorded to organic beings in the Federation, or is he just a machine, a tool, that Starfleet can do with whatever it wants?" The episode does score points by contextualizing this as a question of slavery, but it takes far too long to come to this argument. It could've been solved in five minutes.

Data was clearly a sentient being with the full rights of any sentient being in the Federation, because Starfleet consistently treated him as one. He was enrolled in and graduated from Starfleet Academy, awarded an officer's commission, and posted as an executive officer on Starfleet's flagship. Starfleet doesn't send ships' computers to the Academy, doesn't give an officer's commission to a replicator, and doesn't assign a transporter to be a ship's executive officer.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In regards to the legal aspects, this was a Military Court Martial, not a civil court. And a StarFleet Military court as well.

So in regards to rules, they are
1) different than our U.S. civil rules, and
2) fictional (since StarFleet is a made-up system incorporating procedural rules from multiple fictional societies).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
In regards to the legal aspects, this was a Military Court Martial, not a civil court. And a StarFleet Military court as well.

So in regards to rules, they are
1) different than our U.S. civil rules, and
2) fictional (since StarFleet is a made-up system incorporating procedural rules from multiple fictional societies).

True enough, but when they introduce legal issues that are identical (or near enough) to our real world, American legal system, they are opening up the audience to expect that the entirety (or near enough) is much like it is here and now. Otherwise, what's the point, as it means they could do or say anything, no matter how contrary it would mean to our understanding of law, and not have to explain themselves.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Interestingly, I watched this episode the day I finished my closing arguments in a trial.

I know Measure of a Man is widely heralded as the best Star Trek legal episode, but for my money The Drumhead is the best.

Overall I liked the feelings this episode generated, but was a tad lukewarm on the actual plot and dialogue. And I admit that I might be a bit overly critical because of my job.

I still think it was a mistake to start with the Spock episode and have this as episode 2. Adam's right that Lian needed to be here, so her absence had to be addressed first. However, if I were breaking down the season I would have moved Pike's mini-mission to recruit the lawyer from the start of episode 2 and into episode 1. That fixes the problem of his absence from the premiere (his real life absence is no issue, as these are filmed months and months in advance). I would have cut a bit from episode 1, added in the Pike stuff, and then had even more trial in episode 2.

My favourite thing about this episode it that it continued my favourite theme: Starfleet and the Federation are more imperfect than we think. It's more than "we're imperfect, but we're trying" which is sort of the sentiment characters are saying here and elsewhere. It's actually "somethings are quite bad."

The legal drama was mostly superficial and a even a bit nonsensical. I know it's fiction, I know it's drama, I know it's a court martial, and I know it's a fictional legal system. But this episode was a bit too far from "reality" for my tastes. It might have been the editing. The drama was sort of always ramped up to at least an 8.

But overall I liked the episode. Not my favourite Star Trek legal drama, however.

Loved, loved, loved the lawyer, Neera (Yetide Badaki). I'd watch a Federation legal drama with her as the star.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A little bit of "canon violation". A few years later in the STAR TREK TOS timeline, Samuel T. Cogley in "Court Martial" was portrayed as a fossil for having and relying on books, yet Starfleet rules and laws are seen in a big book volume here.

Of course, books received a bit of a reprieve by the time of TNG with Picard owning a number of volumes.

"Court Martial" also had other canon problems with bridge video recordings and heartbeat masking-out stuff.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to comment on a few non story related items I liked in this second episode.

The dress uniforms are a very nice update to the originals from TOS. The gold trim detailing in the collars and front plackets are a more defined pattern that very nicely riffs off the original gold patterns used on TOS. And the awards each officer wears in the uniform also replicates the same triangular shapes. Of course the new uniforms are more up to date.

And then the chairs the defendants and witnesses sit in also have the lighted round plate they place their hands on. That’s a very nicely reproduced set piece! And I like that the admirals have a different color uniform.

FC04B806-5FF5-4CBE-A69E-D12DC03F98CE.jpeg 51A9B16D-1216-4293-A58F-993C819DC047.jpeg

I started to read a very nice review of the episode on tor.com. Of what I read, there is a comment about Una’s testimony about the first time she ever saw Starfleet officers who visited her planet when she was a child. She was so impressed that they were of different species and the fact that there was so much inclusion, she wanted to be a part of Starfleet. I agree with the review’s comment that it totally encapsulated the optimistic view of the original Star Trek and what it was like when it was first being seen. I had a similar reaction when I saw that scene.

Attachments

• 50396744-DE4D-47B3-8778-72361AF4CCE0.jpeg
    50396744-DE4D-47B3-8778-72361AF4CCE0.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 18

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I was wondering what that was. Is it a lie detector?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A day late, but loved every bloody second of the “Ad Astra per Aspera.” Fantastic guest cast, riveting storyline, social commentary on body modifications and being persecuted for being who you are and a people story without warp drive and phasers and alien foreheads.

I don’t care that Una was led to say things which came back in her defense and some of us may have been ahead of the story. I don’t care there’s a book here and that might conflict with TOS. I very marginally care that neither of the prosecutors had thought the eventual defense would be possible. I very marginally care there was not more on La’an’s guilty conscious.

Just a great episode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I re-watched the first half of The Broken Circle last night. There’s
Yeah I was wondering what that was. Is it a lie detector?
I don’t think it was ever explicitly defined by dialogue. It’s shown as a scanner that detects who the person is. It probably can act as a lie detector too.

AC8A302D-C0DC-4B0F-85D3-F69781370D07.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kierancarlin
Recent bookmarks