What's new

Star Trek Lower Decks (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can respect that position, but I still don't quite understand it. Think of a Trek episode or movie that you really, really like. If one of the Trek executives claimed that it wasn't canonical, would your opinion of that episode/movie change because it wasn't canonical? If not, why would your opinion of something you like differ because a Trek executive says that it is canonical?
I'd be upset at an "official" word given of anything Trek that un-canonized something I hold dear. If "The Inner Light" were suddenly considered non-canon I'd be a wreck. Sure I can still enjoy the episode but the OCD in me would nag, and nag in the back of my mind telling me "you know none of this ever happened right? It doesn't mean anything".

Unfortunately that is how I see canon. Like I said I wish I was as carefree about the canon issue as other people that don't care what is or isn't included.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Speaking of continuity...

The "Janeway Protocol" in Episode 2: is that reference to a Voyager episode? I can't recall what it might be alluding to, but it was a lifetime ago since I've watched ST:Voyager. (Regardless, the ironic and absurd description of the whole affiar was hilarious.)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Speaking of continuity...

The "Janeway Protocol" in Episode 2: is that reference to a Voyager episode?
No. Just Janeway screwing around with time travel a bunch.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I think it was mostly just a chance to namedrop Janeway.

Loved that whole bit, btw. "All of the ship's children have been ejected into space!"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's what I thought, but needed to check. :)

I loved the idea of Janeway being the source of the most extreme Federation tactic possible, when used ejects all the children aboard into space! :D

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I've gotten some laughs out of the show. I think it would be funnier to me if I believed at least some of the bridge crew were competent enough to run the ship. There's only one character playing it straight on that entire ship. One or two more playing it straight would probably make it even funnier to me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Aside from the reliance on idiot plots to frame the show, this is basically what happens when hardcore Trek geeks who happen to be comedy writers try their hand at recreating TNG. I was a little fixated at the idea that Ransom would 1) not get checked out after getting bitten by an alien insect and 2) wouldn't have anomalies purged by the transporter pattern buffer in the pilot and initially docked it heavily for that misstep. There are clearly xenoplanet protocols that were complely ignored. But poor/lazy plotting aside, the jokes and Easter eggs were almost gold and increased in quality as the season has gone on. Pulling back from the geek perspective, my daughter happened to watch episode 3 with me and really liked it, prompting a re-watch of the entire season. She's not a Trekkie and hasn't watched anything Trek other than Lower Decks. She is a huge fan of Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites, so that sensibility peeks through, especially the rhythms of the dialog.

This show has quickly grown on me and it's fun explaining all the in jokes and Easter eggs to my daughter.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
See, that is something one can easily do, and another cannot. I unfortunately can't ignore it once I'm told that something is legitimate, and official.

I never have that problem with Trek. ST:TOS was riddled with so many inconsistencies (YATIs) that I can deal with stupid things that shouldn't be canon and treat them as inconsistencies to be ignored. Its pointless to get overworked with canon because of existing inherent contradictions.

I enjoy ST:TLD for what it is (sometimes) and ignore other parts of it. I do not see myself revisiting episodes in the future. Its occasionally funny and quite often "meh". It is what it is. I mean here people are getting worked up over canon with a show when the credits show them fleeing like cowards from the Borg and having a nacelle half ingested by a space beast.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This week our SciFi channel listed the same episode as last weeks. This caused the PVR to not record it. Was it episode 4? Episode 3 is listed to be on again at 8 pm Saturday. I’ll record it just in case.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This was my favorite one so far. The characters and humor seemed less broad and more related to the story being told, the senior crew members seemed more believably capable of being given the positions they had, and the stakes were a bit lower, allowing the humor to seem more appropriate to the situation. Between last week and this week, it seems that the show is finding it’s groove.

I kinda wish it had aired at the same time as one of the live actions. It would have been great to come down from a high energy hour long spectacle with a half hour of comedy afterwards.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What the fourth episode really emphasized for me is what a spoiled, unprofessional brat Mariner is. She's a Starfleet officer, not a 13-year-old who just got grounded.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the Cerritos was revealed not to be the worst performing crew in Starfleet.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What the fourth episode really emphasized for me is what a spoiled, unprofessional brat Mariner is. She's a Starfleet officer, not a 13-year-old who just got grounded.

I think that’s why it was really important - at least for me - that the first episode revealed that she’s the daughter of the captain and another high ranking official. She’s getting special treatment for who she is, which is both not fair and something that happens in the 21st century all the time. This Trek resurgence has set aside the concept that humanity has entirely moved beyond its flaws, and this is one flaw that is present with humanity in an era. I wouldn’t buy the character if she was just a malcontent who enlisted. I do buy that her parents have shielded her from the consequences of her actions and now they - and we - are stuck with a spoiled brat.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought last night's show was another winner. I laughed and smiled at all the references to TOS, TNG, DS9, etc. It's fine that the show isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you have to admire how much love for Star Trek goes into each episode.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This week’s episode seemed to have an Easter egg a second - so many references to chuckle through. I also love that the twist wasn’t that the girlfriend wasn’t an alien, but rather, that he was the one with the parasite. A clever twist on an overused Trek trope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks