What's new

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Not a huge Trek fan but I do love Khan & The Voyage Home. Major contrasting styles that both work. Khan is better overall. III is 3rd but the rest of the bunch really didn't work for me. :)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I think Nemesis failed because the so-called fans made up their minds not to see it before it came out. I don't think it was that bad. My GF at the time said it was her favorite (!), she preferred the films for the characters...and ended up really liking Insurrection for that reason (we watched II, III, IV, VII, VIII, IX together on DVD, Nemesis theatrically). Sure there are plenty of problems with Nemesis but I'm a Star Trek V: The Final Frontier survivor. THAT was the Worst. TREK film. Ever.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Remind me again, was it KAAAAAAAHHHHHHHNNNNN, or is it KHHAAAAANNNNNN...i cant ever remember! :)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Can't wait for the eventual (and I do mean eventual...............) release of Star Trek 1-4 on HD-DVD. Did I mention - eventual?

Cheers,

Jason

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Director's cut of the TMP is my number 1. Then its a toss up between 2 & 6, with 4, 3, and 5 following. Even the abysmal 5 has some character moments I enjoy - especially the McCoy flashback with his father.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
No no it's Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn! At the back of the throat. :)

I remember looking forward to seeing "Star Trek II The Vengeance of Khan" before the title was changed to Wrath of Khan thanks to um "Revenge of the Jedi", and than that title was changed too. :crazy:

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

Two things I wanted to say:

1) it WAS a cheap B-movie, made by the television department! It actually looks really good for what it was.

2) I agree, it didn't need saving: while The Motion Picture was not a great film (and I don't know how much the new cut repairs it, though I agree that it's better -- and the film is full of good ideas), it made a pile of money. The Motion Picture saved the franchise by being a hit.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Actually, to show my young age, I wasn't even 6 when II came out, so the real question is how I ended up seeing TWOK in the theater. I think it was part of an after school program or summer day care program, but I distinctly remember seeing it in a theater.

I know I caught III on TV, but it wasn't until IV came out on video that I rented all 4 films and watched them back to back to back to back on my birthday when I was 11 or 12. That was the first time I saw TMP.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think Khan was the best of the bunch too, although I think TMP was the purest Trek and closest to Roddenberry's vision.

One thing I found annoying: When each Rick Berman-produced movie came out, Berman would also say it was the best since Wrath of Khan, and each time, he'd say the villian was the best since Khan.

I also agree that the movie deserves credit for the great photography.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

For hate sake, I spit at thee..

Great moments in this film. This is the Trek film that all others, including the new one, wish they were. We watched this tonight in our house at my son's insistence. I hadn't watched it in a while, probably 2 years.

What I really enjoy is that the entire mid-section builds great tension over a battle of crews, as both ships are destroyed and they work frantically to become the first to just become operable.

Yes, it's not super action oriented, but it has such an air of plausibility, so much more then wild space battles, that the tension is thick. In a large cast, even minor characters get some great moments.

This is real action/suspense. Tons of films are just "action" and wall to wall action which kind of leaves out the suspense part of guessing what happens next - because the audience isn't given enough time to ponder what could happen yet.

And, it looks great in bluray.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
TWOK looks and sounds awesome on BluRay. Montalban was so badass.

I can see how some consider The Empire Strikes Back the TWOK of Star Wars movies. ;)

Meyer`s belief that Montalban would have made a stellar King Lear is most insightful.

Tyler Gagnon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised noone mentioned the fact that.....Kirk had a son! Was that made up for the movie, Or was it ever said he had one at anytime before that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks