What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
With the success of 2009’s Star Trek, J.J. Abrams returns to the director’s chair for this second outing that tried so hard to keep the identity of the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch prior to its theatrical release. Most had figured it out weeks before Star Trek Into Darkness opened, and that is, perhaps, the film’s biggest flaw, as it tries to re-imagine one of the franchise’s most iconic villains, Khan, while occasionally making references to 1982’s Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan through winks and nudges to the audience.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you so much for this review. I own both the 2009 Star Trek and Into Darkness on 1080p blu-ray and as good as they looked on that format. I just went out and upgraded both to the 4K UHD version and I have to say that Into Darkness looks and sounds incredible. I can not wait to see how this movie sounds in full Dolby Atmos but that will have to wait till my Pioneer Elite SC-05 get upgraded to possibly a Marantz SR-7010.

20160624_120629.jpg

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
"with one character sacrificing his life in a similar fashion instead of the one in Khan, the living character uttering the Wilhelm scream “Khaaaan!” before going on a chase to save his friend."

That's not how it went down! Spock beams down to Earth with the clear intent of murdering Khan. He didn't know his magic blood properties would save Kirk until Uhura tells him way later in the fight. I'm not saying this to shoot your review down, I'm saying it because I don't want your review to give this film credit it doesn't deserve.

And on a side note, what a misuse of Leonard Nimoy. Not only does his scene serve no purpose and introduces a major plot hole, but the way Prime Spock describes Khan is just wrong. He's a person who will not hesitate to kill everyone on the Enterprise? Uh, funny thing. When Khan was on top of his game and had all the advantages against Kirk in The Wrath of Khan, he did something worse then hesitate. He GLOATED. And after that he sounded perfectly willing to spare Kirk's crew. And there's something about Khan wanting to commit genocide on everyone he deems less than superior? Where did that come from?! That's not Khan's character at all!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That's not how it went down! Spock beams down to Earth with the clear intent of murdering Khan. He didn't know his magic blood properties would save Kirk until Uhura tells him way later in the fight. I'm not saying this to shoot your review down, I'm saying it because I don't want your review to give this film credit it doesn't deserve.
I was speaking more in general plot points than character specifics.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I need a favor. Can anyone check their UHD disc of any of the 3 Trek UHD movies for the exact run-time?
Including seconds. I have a theory but can't test it myself. If anyone can I'd be very grateful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks