What's new

"STAR TREK" Gripes & Pet Peeves (generic) (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ashley Seymour wrote (post #144):
ST said:
Um, no one's arguing in behalf of any such thing. The intuitively wrong constitution of the Enterprise and the motivation behind it are already explored somewhat in post #115 above. This whole business is an example of what I call ST's "unexplored or false implications". They won't ever be explored, as far as I can tell. To explore them would be to get into the way of the action or the drama for---not to mention the comfort of---its mass audience.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Sheesh, I must be bored at work if I'm commenting on a Star Trek thread.
Here's my addition:
Where's the warp drive for the transmissions?--I can buy the fact that the spaceships can travel several light years in a day but what about the video transmissions? The Enterprise can talk to people in real time across the galaxy. You would think that Cap'n Picard would be receiving orders from the Federation that was sent decades ago to Cap'n Kirk.
As for the TV issue, wouldn't the crew be able to watch old TV shows that were sent into space back in the 1960's? I did a quick count on my abacus and by my calculations they should be reaching their part of the universe right about then.
BTW, does anyone know how many light years can be traveled at warp 1 over say a day? Have the warp speeds ever been explained in terms of light speed?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Where's the warp drive for the transmissions?
That's why they use Subspace... it's not your father's RF...

I remember in the old series, they made use of the idea that communications wouldn't be instantaneous (even with subspace), much more often than in the newer Treks.

-Scott

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
HunterP wrote (post #146):

"Their part of the universe"? That's pretty big territory. Which "part" is that? I don't know how radio waves and the waves from television broadcasts radiate, but are they omni-directional? If not, receiving them would mean having to have the luck (or bad luck) to be directly in whatever path the waves travelled, I should think. I don't think they'd be that fortuitous, but with the present writers, who knows?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And they'd probably be an indecipherable mess, anyway. Just imagine receiving every Channel 7 in North America simultaneously.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Um, "their neighborhood," "abacus," "my calculations"...it's a joke, gentlemen. Trekkies (or Trekkers) do have humor, no?

I should have resorted to an obvious Galaxy Quest movie reference.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Trekkies (or Trekkers) do have humor, no?
No we don't. Now please cease and desist with the Trek humor :D
Anyhoo, it's futile talking about the physics in Trek from a rational, consistent manner. Besides the fact that transporters, warp drive, antimatter engines, cloaking, phasers, photon torpedoes, deflectors, really clean perfectly pressed uniforms, replicators, holodecks, subspace, androids, googlebyte data storage, sexy green skinned women, etc are all fantasy creations, many, if not all of them, are far, far beyond our realm and understanding of technology and known laws of the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks