What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Trumbull didn't offer up any major revelations. He did say that the FX company originally hired to work on the film was attempting to do shots in CG - in 1978, no less - which I hadn't heard before. They worked for over a year and didn't finish a single shot. He initially turned down working on the film, as he was annoyed at Paramount. In the mid-70s, Paramount hired his company to do research on the future of cinema, including his Showscan process. They were going to produce Brainstorm, which was to be the first film shot in Showscan.

After a management shuffle, Paramount nixed his contract and scuttled the Brainstorm deal. A couple of years later, they came back, begging him to take over Star Trek. Exhibitors had already paid the studio $30 million in advance for the film, so Paramount was desperate to deliver it on time. Trumbull agreed, provided they pay him a ton of money, give him carte blanche with an unlimited budget and let him keep all of the equipment once everything was done. Paramount agreed and Trumbull set to work, bringing in John Dykstra's Apogee to help with the workload.

He said he conceived and shot - and in some cases, reshot - the effects sequences with virtually no input from Wise (and never even met Roddenberry), which might explain the seemingly endless shots of the Enterprise and V'ger. He was also peeved about not being consulted for the director's cut, as he'd like to have had the opportunity to tweak the effects himself.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's great insight from Trumbull. I was particularly intrigued that he felt slighted that he wasn't consulted about the Directors Cut. That really makes sense that David Fein and Michael Matessino may have been only focusing on Robert Wise's input and could have forgotten to talk to Trumbull and even Jerry Goldsmith.

I've got to start reading the Return to Tomorrow book!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Watching the motion picture directors cut with both audio and text commentaries.

Wow Paramount - we really need a blu Ray of Star Trek the motion picture directors cut!!!!!

Get it done!!!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I've been hearing for 7 years the feasibility/cost of rendering the FX in HD. It seems if it was NOT expensive that they would have done it.
Although I much prefer the DC, I think the only chance to ever see the added footage in HD is the SLV.
I think a restoration alone would be a long shot at this point.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been hearing for 7 years the feasibility/cost of rendering the FX in 4K. It seems if it was NOT expensive that would have done it.
Although I much prefer the DC, I think the only chance to ever see the added footage in HD is the SLV.
I think a restoration alone would be a long shot at this point.

I hope I'm wrong because I loved getting the wrath of khan directors cut on blu Ray, but I feel that the era of special editions and projects like the directors cut are sadly gone.

Case in point how Star Trek beyond is being issued on blu Ray with no commentary.
I don't think that film will ever have a special edition. Again I hope that I am wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Beyond does have a commentary, it's just not on the physical disc. Redeem the enclosed digital copy coupon at iTunes for access to the commentary.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
It's not a standard full length commentary, but an "enhanced" commentary in segments.
I'm not a fan of those.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
It's not a standard full length commentary, but an "enhanced" commentary in segments.
I'm not a fan of those.

I don't think this one is broken into segments like STID. I read a comment on a Trek website from someone who said they watched it and that it was only Lin talking the whole time with bhs footage sprinkled throughout. Not pausing or rewinding this time. That's what one person said at least.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Question on UK and Italy blu ray versions of The Roddenberry Vault and The Animated Series.
I ordered the Italian Batman 66 set as it was confirmed region free.

Is this also the case with the Star Trek sets? Quite a savings ordering them from overseas compared to the US versions.
Any differences aside from packaging?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks