1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Scott D S, Sep 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Message #3481 of 3500 Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Think I know how to get TMP Director's Cut on Blu-ray, remastered etc....bring back a character from/ unique to TMP! Perhaps David Gautreaux as Commander Branch in a new show set in alternate reality in which Epsilon IX wasn't captured by V'ger after all, or maybe a young Branch (new actor) as a major character on DISCOVERY? Or, better/worse yet, bring back V-GER - possibly as a Villain-of-the-Week on DISCOVERY (being a prequel, anything is possible) or as the main antagonist/ ally in the next Trek movie (when + if that ever happens). No doubt this all sounds slightly ridiculous, not to mention highly unlikely, but it would be the perfect thing to tie a remastered TMP Blu/HD release into...

Osato likes this.
  2. Osato

Osato Producer

I love it!!

Animated version of Star Trek phase 2!

Tom St Jones likes this.
  3. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
  4. Osato

Osato Producer

5. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    That's not how it was done in 1991. "Unification" aired in November as a tease to Star Trek VI, which opened in early December. You may wish to preserve that experience.

Neil

6. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    It's already begun - Wrath of Khan is available in 4K with HDR on iTunes, but only in standard HD on blu.

Osato likes this.
  7. Osato

Osato Producer

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    It's possible that interest in Star Trek could be very hot this fall with the release of the Picard series on CBS AA. Rolling Stone magazine has already cited that as one of its most-wanted new series of the year. If Paramount was smart (I know... I know...) they'd take advantage of that with UHD/blu-ray transfers of the TMP DE and the other films in the TOS/TNG series.

SAhmed and Osato like this.
  9. Osato

Osato Producer

Agreed.

However Paramount’s recent 4K releases of older films have been iTunes only.

I hope some more physical titles are coming from the mountain. Especially classic Star Trek, war if the worlds and it’s a wonderful life.

There’s so many intentional things in the UHd approach by the studios that is encouraging digital.
    Pricing is one that I have noticed. For one, New releases of films on disc is back to mid 80s vhs pricing.

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    That’s “film” singular. Only TWOK is available IN 4K.

11. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    I think he was including other titles like It's a Wonderful Life and War of the Worlds.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  12. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I will forever live in hope that Paramount and CBS get their crap together and do right by the franchise. I'd like to look at Paramount's 2018 physical UHD output as proof they will put "older" films on the format. They did the Jack Ryan series, all the Mission Impossible's, Braveheart, Forrest Gump and Gladiator along with others I'm forgetting. With a new movie seemingly not happening any time soon, I can see the TNG era films coming in the fall to tie into the Picard series. And who knows... they may drop the TOS movies, too, to celebrate TMP's anniversary in December.

I live in hope.

13. Osato

Osato Producer

+1

14. Osato

Osato Producer

Looks like Fox is remembering Alien’s 40th anniversary and a UHd Blu Ray release is coming this year too.
    I know Tcm is also doing a screening

SAhmed likes this.
  15. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    AS long as they don't reach inflation-adjusted versions of those prices, I can (just abt) live with it. :>]

(What I mean is, eg. $25.00 in 1989 was abt the equivalent of $50.00 today.)

16. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Then again, a newly-released streaming "purchase" is only slightly less than buying a disc even though the studio pays nothing for replication, covers, cases, distribution, etc. We're getting less for our money. Plus, services can shut down and studios can pull the rights for a film from a service at any time. Movies Anywhere is great, but is missing two big studios and doesn't include any independent studios or small releasing companies. Dark times, indeed, for anyone interested in anything other than blockbusters.

17. Osato

Osato Producer

It seemed like new releases were under $20 or even down to the $15 range or so. But UHd titles have been about double that amount.

One other thing that popped in my mind about Star Trek UHd. I believe it was stated paramount used the kelvin Trek film UHd Blu Ray sales to determine whether there would be more Trek in UHd?
    If so and this held true it was a misleading way to go. I feel much differently about the newer films than classic trek. I did consider beyond on UHd but then target had the beyond Blu Ray for $8-10? I believe in Black Friday.
    However Even without a UHd player or UHd tv, I would’ve bought the wrath of khan on UHd Blu Ray as well as the other original series trek films on UHd Blu Ray.

It certainly appears whatever what was stated in the past that paramount is moving forward with classic films only on UHd.

I hope I’m wrong though.

18. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

That is great! Never before seen shots like that is s cool to see. Thanks Osato. This should be in the Scott Atwell Star Trek thread. :)

Osato likes this.
  19. Osato

Osato Producer

Thanks. I could find that thread for some reason when I did a search.