What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What a convoluted mess.
That pretty much sums it up, although I thought the episode with all the hand phaser fights was good.

Michelle Yeoh-starring Section 31 spin-off series

More dark Star Trek.

I suppose if the writing is good, it won't matter. And if the writing's not good, it won't matter either.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
More deep exploration of something fascinating (and yes, dark) that DS9 first introduced? Absolutely. Sign me up, please.
Now that I am seeing the beginnings of a bigger Star Trek plan from CBS, it breathes new life into my optimism. Surely the show runners will learn from problems with DISCOVERY and improve. And the more new series we get, the better the chances that they'll be something for everybody. Despite my criticisms of DISCOVERY, I'm encouraged and excited at the prospect of eventually having year-around first-run Star Trek episodes EVERY WEEK on CBS Partial Access.

Just that fact alone will eventually be enough for me to shell out my $10 a month, every month. If CBS is going all in, then so am I.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At first glance, I'm not intrigued by a show that follows the mirror-universe version of Michelle Yeoh's character seen in the last episodes of Discovery season one. I'm in the middle of rewatching the first season now, and I'm liking it a lot more than I did during the original broadcast -- but the mirror universe stuff is what's killing it for me. And I don't necessarily want to have two simultaneous Trek shows set in the Discovery prequel period.

With all of the different Trek spinoffs that are on the horizon, maybe I'm forgetting, but it seems like there isn't a single idea so far that's dedicated to a ship on a mission of exploration in a time period that comes after Voyager/Nemesis/Trek '09 prime segment. The Picard show seems the closest, but there's been nothing to suggest that it's a show about him as a ship captain. I know we've got Discovery coming back, the Michelle Yeoh Discovery-era show, the Picard show, the cartoon show, the workplace comedy show, but where is the show that's forward looking and about a ship exploring space? When does that come?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
When does that come?
If they go by Enterprise's ratings, they may believe no one wants to see that anymore. If so, they are wronger than wrong.

I just assumed the Section 31 show was a prequel to DISCOVERY. If, as you say, it's Mirror Universe Michelle Yeoh, then I am with you, and at least initially, far less enthusiastic.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just assumed the Section 31 show was a prequel to DISCOVERY. If, as you say, it's Mirror Universe Michelle Yeoh, then I am with you, and at least initially, far less enthusiastic.

I haven't gotten to the last episode yet, but if memory serves, Yeoh's character is brought back from the mirror universe to the prime universe, and at the conclusion of the series, she's given a job offer by Starfleet. I think the implication was clear that they were not offering her a job as a kindness outreach coordinator.

Meanwhile, when we met her character at the beginning of the show, she seemed like a nice, kind, by-the-book kind of Captain. I don't see her as being part of Section 31. Afterall, Section 31 isn't a real thing. It's a conspiracy among Starfleet officials who have decided that they know better than everyone else, and who take illegal actions to try to get what they want. Nothing they do is legitimate. And I don't think we're meant to take it that Yeoh's character, as seen in the pilot, is that kind of person.

On the other hand, it seems exactly like Section 31 to take someone who is a bad person and exploit them for their own gain. That's essentially the plot for Star Trek Into Darkness in the Kelvin universe. So I just assumed that that's what was happening here.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in a prequel series about a minor character who was killed off in the second episode.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know I will get laughed off the page for suggesting this, but CBS All Access, bring Star Trek Continues into you line up.
IMG_1143.JPG

For a fraction of the budget of your other shows, you can have a series that stays true to the mission statement(and spirit) of Star Trek. Great writing, and a cast that loves Star Trek as much as we do. I grow tired of grim, bleak Trek. Every time I watch an episode of STC, I'm completely satisfied with what I'm seeing.

I'm not joking. If new episodes of Star Trek Continues were produced for CBSAA, I would buy a lifetime subscription.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Yeah, I read about the spin-off over at ArsTechnica. There I saw mention that there is a deleted scene at the end of last season, where Michelle Yeoh is approached by Section 31.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I’m starting my season one rewatch now. Five minutes in, my first impression is that the 5.1 mix on the disc is so much better than the 2.0 on the All Access stream. I felt like I struggled to make out all the dialogue on the streaming version but it’s all crystal clear on disc.

Excellent. I ordered the Blu-Ray of S1 today.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know I will get laughed off the page for suggesting this, but CBS All Access, bring Star Trek Continues into you line up.

I just didn't think it was good. I tried watching it back in 2014 when a very good friend of mine who shares a lot of the same tastes with me raved and raved about it. It was painful to make it through the first episode.

Last year, I tried again, and forced myself to watch all of the remaining ones. It was brutal.

I think calling it "bad" is unfair because it's not a professional production. The amateur-ness of the show is what shone through; the writing choices didn't feel professional, the direction didn't feel professional, and the acting didn't feel professional. The only thing worse than seeing amateurs playing the original crew characters was the show's attempt to introduce a new leading character that just didn't fit.

I know there's a lot of love for Star Trek Continues on this forum and I don't want to just crap on things that people like for the sake of being a jerk, but it didn't work for me at all.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm pretty much in agreement with Josh over Star Trek Continues. Here's what I said about the series a year ago to the day:
I watched the episode of Star Trek Continues linked and, for the most part, enjoyed it. I wasn't too bothered by the slavish adherence to the original sets as I love those sets. But they could have updated the look while keeping the esthetic and floor plans.

What bothered me more than the sets was an attempt by the actors to mimic the original roles. They mostly failed with only a couple coming off decently enough to not be distracting. Of course, that could be a fault of the script as it needs work. If they're going to mimic the original, they need to work on dialog and delivery. It's off. I had other issues with the script that had nothing to do with characterizations and also felt that many of the actors exhibit skills that are just a step above community theater level.

I was amazed at how authentic the sets look. The music and sound effects are spot on. Visual effects are excellent. If they had better scripts and the actors didn't attempt to mimic those of the original series think it could be very good. As it is, it's more of a curiosity as I frequently felt like I was watching a group of Trek lovers doing a somewhat impromptu Cosplay.

In spite of all that, I do appreciate the level of craftsmanship and love for Trek on display. What they've done, for what appears to be a mostly amateur production, is simply amazing.
At the time I wrote that I thought I'd watch more of the series. I have not. I'd sort of like to but the overall amateurishness of the product keeps me away. As to whether I'd prefer to watch another episode of "Continues" or an episode of "Discovery?" Let's just say it's up in the air as I'm not that fond of either. If CBS chose to produce "Continues" with network level directing, scripts, and actors I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
View attachment 54295

For a fraction of the budget of your other shows, you can have a series that stays true to the mission statement(and spirit) of Star Trek. Great writing, and a cast that loves Star Trek as much as we do. I grow tired of grim, bleak Trek. Every time I watch an episode of STC, I'm completely satisfied with what I'm seeing.

I'm not joking. If new episodes of Star Trek Continues were produced for CBSAA, I would buy a lifetime subscription.
You're not alone, buddy. The writing on STC was, on whole, more faithful to the best of TOS than CBS has come up with for Star Trek in 15 years. Most of those scripts were a HUGE ACHIEVEMENT, even when considered at a professional level. The problem is, sadly, many people can't see past the quality of the actors playing roles they don't want to see anyone else but the original stars playing in the first place.

The show charmed me because I knew what that cast and crew was up against to accomplish what they did. To me, it was the best of the ST fan-produced shows and an achievement in itself.

On another level, it represents how miserably the studio has failed Star Trek fans who know and love what the show is, at its best, supposed to be about.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Star Trek Continues was great! The special effects were excellent! The costumes were fabulous! The stories were very good indeed! The only failing seemed to be with some of the actors I'm afraid, but I preferred this to STD!
JB

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I need to watch some STC episodes again. I remember downloading and watching the 1st 4 or so. I liked the Doomsday machine episode, then there was a Checkov episode with Koenig and something else. I thought they also visited the Time Machine from City on the Edge of Forever.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Star Trek Continues was great! The special effects were excellent! The costumes were fabulous! The stories were very good indeed! The only failing seemed to be with some of the actors I'm afraid, but I preferred this to STD!
JB

What? How can you even say that? Leonard Nimoy was not Spock, William Shatner was not Kirk, etc. Come on man, at least try to be consistent in your criticisms!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have a theory. There’s a lot of love for the fan films. I can see why, familiar characters, reproduction of the original TOS sets and costumes, re-use of the original music and sound effects. It’s the stuff fans love to see going all the way back to the 1970’s. And fans might be giving them a pass if the acting isn’t at professional levels or stories are not at the professional level.

New productions of Star Trek series have historically been under a lot of scrutiny. And understandibly. There is a lot of fans who love the original series and hold anything new to a high standard. Canon, characters who are new, ship design, costumes, music and effects. And stories that reflect the values of the standard set by TOS.

It’s like an episode of Frasier, when Frasier and Niles have a marvelous dining experience but there’s that one little thing that just wasn’t right. And Daphne says, “Oh, just the way you like it.”

I had no point to this post except to just make an observation. The fan films do exactly what I lot of fans want to see. It can be the same old-same old. There’s no denying the great love and effort from the fan films. They get a lot of credit for making the effort and their eye for detail. I totally get it. It’s comforting.

But new Star Trek productions challenges the fans. It’s not comfortable.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just didn't think it was good. I tried watching it back in 2014 when a very good friend of mine who shares a lot of the same tastes with me raved and raved about it. It was painful to make it through the first episode.

Last year, I tried again, and forced myself to watch all of the remaining ones. It was brutal.

I think calling it "bad" is unfair because it's not a professional production. The amateur-ness of the show is what shone through; the writing choices didn't feel professional, the direction didn't feel professional, and the acting didn't feel professional. The only thing worse than seeing amateurs playing the original crew characters was the show's attempt to introduce a new leading character that just didn't fit.

I know there's a lot of love for Star Trek Continues on this forum and I don't want to just crap on things that people like for the sake of being a jerk, but it didn't work for me at all.

A few of my friends wouldn't even acknowledge this series. You viewed it, and formed an opinion. Even though you don't care for it, it was nice of you to give it a chance.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
What? How can you even say that? Leonard Nimoy was not Spock, William Shatner was not Kirk, etc. Come on man, at least try to be consistent in your criticisms!

You're so right! How could I have missed this? Damn! But the cast of that show tried so hard to make it succeed so I'll say it's in another pocket universe of TOS! Not quite Trek but close to it, more than DSC anyway!
JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks