What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Let me try to understsnd the pay for view issue here. I've never in my life paid for or has cable TV services at my home. I've always been OTA. I'm lucky I live in an area with very good broadcast reception.

But here's a possibly similar comparison in the software world. I use in my work and for my personal use, Adobe Creative Suite which includes Photoshop and Illustrator. I also use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro on the desktop and in my iPad Pro. I've paid to own a perpetual license for both. What I find very frustrating is that both companies now shifted to cloud and subscription plans. I get the idea that it provides the user with the latest versions of the software. But I don't like a monthly fee. Some might argue it comes out the same if you buy the perpetual license of old. Maybe this is a bad example and I'm just venting about my software. In th mean time, I'm using my old non cloud software for as long as I can. But I get the anger for having to pay more for the All Access service.

On the other hand I've never paid for TV before. I am not going to prejudge this new Star Trek series. I am willing to pay if necessary to see it and then cancel once it's over.

Okay, can somebody explain this to me?

We have to pay to see this new version. Subscribe to a service?

If that's what it is, I'll just wait until it shows up on Dish/cable, etc. that I already pay for. Now they want more?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Okay, can somebody explain this to me?
We have to pay to see this new version. Subscribe to a service?

Yes, the first episode will air for free on the regular CBS network. The rest of the episodes will only be available on the CBS All Access app, for $6/month, or $10/month with no ads.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Can't comment on DS9, that one somehow passed me by, saw maybe one or two episodes, but maybe worth a try.

Do yourself a favor and make DS9 your next binge.

It starts out rough, the first few seasons are not too special, but starting around the end of season 2/ beginning of season 3 it straight out becomes the best series out of all of star trek.

Amazing stories, and it switches from monster of the week episodes to multi episode/season long arcs that are fantastic.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. I will add DS9 to the list. It may be many months before I get there, only so many hours in a day, but looking forward to it.

I do have to add to my earlier post. The first Star Trek movie, the V'ger thing was dreadful, other than that, the even numbered movies were great, the odd numbers OK, and the new reboots fantastic.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Do yourself a favor and make DS9 your next binge.

It starts out rough, the first few seasons are not too special, but starting around the end of season 2/ beginning of season 3 it straight out becomes the best series out of all of star trek.

Amazing stories, and it switches from monster of the week episodes to multi episode/season long arcs that are fantastic.

I don't know. I think there are about 20 excellent episodes in the first two seasons of DS9. And everything else, even the "meh" shows, have something good in them. In my mind, it's all required viewing (yeah, I know you didn't say to skip around).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Into some early Next Gen episodes. Just curious, but there have been several times when a shuttle leaves the ship, flying right through a force field, which is obviously there to maintain the air and not have everything sucked out into space.

Are we just supposed to believe it's some magic field that lets the shuttles pass through? I know we have to suspend believability with shows like this, but sometimes it's ridiculous.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To me, that's not ridiculous at all. I think the shield was designed to allow certain things to pass under certain circumstances. It's far enough in the future that I just accept it as something that hasn't been invented yet.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The way I see it, the shuttle bay force field merges with the shuttlecraft's force field like two bubbles joining. Air stays in, space stays out. Simple.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. I know it's Sci-Fi, just believe what happens.

We've believed in "transporters" for something like 50 years now.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
My understanding is that anything on the same shield frequency can go through shield tech. This would apply for the pod bay doors, as well as the defense shields. In the Star Trek: Generations film obtaining the defense shield frequency is how the Duras sisters are able to disable the Enterprise to the point of it crashing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My understanding is that anything on the same shield frequency can go through shield tech. This would apply for the pod bay doors, as well as the defense shields. In the Star Trek: Generations film obtaining the defense shield frequency is how the Duras sisters are able to disable the Enterprise to the point of it crashing.

Please! The less said about that sequence, the better!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Actually, for years prior to ST: Generations coming out, I'd always wondered what would happen if some saboteur (Klingon, Romulan, whoever) ever managed to plant some type of spy-devices in critical areas of a starship and overheard or witnessed override codes, etc., which they could then use against Starfleet.

When this actually happened in the movie, I was honestly overjoyed -- at last, someone using their heads to think outside of the box, using a major character's long-established personal technology (Geordi's VISOR) in order to gain intel in a new and interesting (and for me, entertaining) way.

I'd also often felt that Geordi's VISOR was probably a significant security-risk during the TV show years anyhow, and was glad to see the movie finally prove me correct. ;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Yeah, regardless of how one feels about the movie overall (I quite like it despite its glaring problems), I always liked the backdoor attack that they came up with with the visor and getting the shield frequency as it was a different angle on how to attack the ship.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I wonder what will happen in Canada. When Star Trek TNG, Voyager, and DS9 were first broadcast in the US, they I believe were only shown on a cable network called THE PARAMOUNT network.
This channel was totally unavailable here.
Because of this the three series (I watched it but can't remember if Enterprise worked the same way) were sindicated. We watched them, I believe, on City TV from Toronto, or CHCH FROM Hamilton.
What most of us will probably do here, if only a US pay channel has it, is wait until season sets are available, and then buy the Blu Rays. They will be a blind purchase for me, even if all reviews say it is "rotten"!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I wonder what will happen in Canada. When Star Trek TNG, Voyager, and DS9 were first broadcast in the US, they I believe were only shown on a cable network called THE PARAMOUNT network.
This channel was totally unavailable here.
Because of this the three series (I watched it but can't remember if Enterprise worked the same way) were sindicated. We watched them, I believe, on City TV from Toronto, or CHCH FROM Hamilton.
What most of us will probably do here, if only a US pay channel has it, is wait until season sets are available, and then buy the Blu Rays. They will be a blind purchase for me, even if all reviews say it is "rotten"!

TOS aired on NBC. TNG and DS9 were aired in first run syndication here in the States; they could be on any network affiliate or channel depending on the city. Voyager launched the United Paramount Network (UPN) and stayed there for it's entire run. Enterprise also aired on UPN for all four seasons; the year after it was cancelled, UPN died and The CW came into being.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Take heart International fans, according to Deadline, Netflix has secured the rights to the new Star Trek series. New episodes will 24 hours after their first airing.

As well they will also have the rights to all the other Star Trek series too.

Netflix Beams Up International Rights To CBS’ New ‘Star Trek’

Woha, if Netflix is airing these new episodes only a day after they first appear, then that sounds like the nail in the coffin for CBS's service. If I am understanding this correctly...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In the US and Canada, the new show will only be seen on CBS All Access. Netflix in the US/Canada will not have it.

That said, this news makes me really mad. Now, it's not only Star Trek fans that have to foot the bill for CBS All Access, but North American Star Trek fans. It's fucking outrageous.

As I have said before in this thread, I do not see any way CBS All Access can succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks