What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
During the teaser sequence I kept wondering, “Is this a Frakes episode?” and wasn’t surprised that it was.

I’ve been watching stuff Frakes has directed for thirty years now - I wonder how many other directors I’ve seen active, working consistently, over that same period? And how many have done things that I’ve returned to again and again? Frakes, Spielberg, Soderbergh, probably not too many others.
He is a competent director of mainly sci fi type or pure Trek shows. Not saying that as a bad thing, but he will always have work on TV in that capacity, for his name recognition alone.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This week's episode was well-suited for being a mid-season finale; it wrapped up the investigatory arc of the season by providing the final piece of information necessary to find those responsible for the anomaly. At the same time, it set up the conflict driving the back half of the season: Booker's determination to seek vengeance, and Michael's determination to stop him.

The B-plot with Cronenberg's evaluation of Zora filled in some more of the blanks between this show and "Calypso", explaining why she stayed put for centuries even once it became clear that nobody was coming back for Discovery: She had placed herself within the Starfleet chain of command, and she had a standing order from a superior officer to stay put. The character played by Cronenberg is one of my favorite parts of this show. So enigmatic, so indifferent to others' opinions of him, and yet an extremely loyal and extremely valuable Starfleet resource.

The A-plot with the debate about how to proceed tried my patience a bit, because it was pretty obvious early on that Burnham would convince the assembly to pursue the peaceful course, and that Booker would go rogue and pursue the violent, dangerous course. Given that fact, I just wanted to get on with it. I did appreciate the political underpinnings of the conference, though; the president sees it not just as a means to address a clear and present danger, but also as a recruiting opportunity for new Federation worlds. Earth, like Ni'Var, would be a major get because it bring another founding member back into the fold. But as with Ni'Var, its relative strength since the Burn makes it harder to win over than the planets that have been really struggling.

I wonder if we'll get to see the universe that Tarka is trying to get to. Maybe the Kelvin timeline? The series of events that led to the Burn are so specific that the universes where it happened would seem likely to be the exception rather than the rule. On the other hand, most of those universes would have experienced a slower version of what happened after the Burn, as dilithium reserves ran dry. The timelines that were able to find a dilithium-rich source and successfully mine it while avoiding a Burn would also seem to be relatively rare; or, alternatively, finding a satisfactory alternative to dilthium-intensive warp cores for faster than light travel.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Here's the funny thing (for me) about "...But to Connect." After watching the episode last night, I'm still thinking the moral question of the DMA this morning. This doesn't happen with me and Discovery very often. I ask myself, if I were voting, what would I do? Would I hope for the best and stick to my ideals and vote for diplomacy or decide violence is the only way to go? I would like to say I'd side with hope, but I also know Book is dealing with an unimaginable grief over the loss of Kwejian.

So here I am, continuing to roll the quandary in my head. If the Federation is going to have a shot, does it need to adhere to principles? Yes. Does it need to stick to them when the going gets rough? Yes. Did they do the right thing and vote? Yes. Am I incredibly disappointed in Book and Tarka that they did their best to get the vote their way, lost and then said "F it, we're doing what we want anyway"? Yep. What they're both doing is making this personal despite all the posturing they want to save lives. Book wants revenge, pure and simple. Tarka wants to get home, wherever that is. Damn the consequences.

I know, like Adam said, the Burnham/Book dynamic will be at the center of the rest of the season. I also hope, in some way, this is the end for Book. I now want him gone. Michael, and by extension everyone else, can't trust him anymore. Period. There is no coming back from this. Not only did he know Tarka stole the new spore drive, but he willingly used his ship for them to get away in. Time to go away.

Contrast that with Zora. Book doesn't care that he just destroyed all the trust he built. Zora very much wants to be trusted and be part of the crew. She has to convince one person-Stamets-she is trustworthy. To her credit, she is able to allay his concerns time after time. And, to his credit, he is able to articulate why he doesn't and has an open enough mind to change his opinion. Zora was willing to give the crew a device to kill her if she ever got out of hand; if that isn't trust, I don't know what is. She has the power to kill every last person on the ship or use the computer powers for evil...but she doesn't. There's something so pure in that to me.

For the record, I am not anti-Gray and Adira. The storyline is fine and the episode in S3 on Trill is a favorite. I'm just not convinced by the acting of either Ian Alexander or Blu del Barrio. So having Gray go to Trill has me kinda shrugging my shoulders in roughly the same way Tilly leaving earlier this season did. Too bad, so sad, let's move on. Having both of them burst into the Ready Room to defend Zora was complete crap for me, though. Kovich, Saru, Culber and Stamets are working and these two just run right in? Yeah, no. I get why they had to from a story perspective, but 100% inappropriate.

Here's a prediction for the rest of the season: Zora manifests in a synth body at some point and becomes an actual crew member.

Sidenote: I am incredibly ticked the season is stopping here only for Prodigy to finish it's first season and then Discovery comes back in February. There was actually a Picard S2 trailer during this episode which says that show is coming in February. Clearly, I think that's off the table now. This leads me to believe something happened in the back half of Discovery's season on the production side. A longer COVID shutdown than we know, effects that aren't done, a massive rethink of the rest of the plot...heck, and I'm just guessing, retrofitting part of the finale to be a series finale vs. a season finale (we haven't heard if the show is coming back for S5 yet). This would then push Picard to later in 2022 (late March?) and Strange New Worlds even later in the year. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but mid season breaks and rerun weeks are antiquated at this point. I like a show to run straight through for its full season.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have a collection of all Star Trek shows on disc (Blu ray when ever available). I usually record new shows and keep the DVD-RWs until I can replace them with sets.
ST P was very heavy slogging indeed. — Juvenile plots, whinny child actors with irritating voices. I either ff whenever possible or literally dosed off.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm very out of the loop but I recall at one point there was going to be a new Star Trek show featuring Captain Pike that was rumored to be much more like the original Star Trek, is that happening, or did it happen and I missed it, or is it now not happening? I know they brought Pike back for this show, season two I think, I have seen none of this series though. Can someone update me on where Pike is at this point?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm very out of the loop but I recall at one point there was going to be a new Star Trek show featuring Captain Pike that was rumored to be much more like the original Star Trek, is that happening, or did it happen and I missed it, or is it now not happening? I know they brought Pike back for this show, season two I think, I have seen none of this series though. Can someone update me on where Pike is at this point?
It’s called Strange New Worlds. There is a cast teaser video online from earlier this year. Slated to debut sometime in 2022. My best guess is summer or fall based on the return schedule for Prodigy, Discovery and presumably Picard before SNW debuts.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It’s called Strange New Worlds. There is a cast teaser video online from earlier this year. Slated to debut sometime in 2022. My best guess is summer or fall based on the return schedule for Prodigy, Discovery and presumably Picard before SNW debuts.

Thanks, Jason. This will probably be my reentry point into the Star Trek universe. I really have not watched a Star Trek TV series since The Next Generation. I was thinking of watching the second season of Discovery, as that includes Pike, but would I be lost having not seen season 1?

Obviously, I was hoping for Star Trek to return to the big screen with the Chris Pine cast, or even a new cast, but I guess that is a dead issue at this point.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks, Jason. This will probably be my reentry point into the Star Trek universe. I really have not watched a Star Trek TV series since The Next Generation. I was thinking of watching the second season of Discovery, as that includes Pike, but would I be lost having not seen season 1?

Obviously, I was hoping for Star Trek to return to the big screen with the Chris Pine cast, or even a new cast, but I guess that is a dead issue at this point.
If you watch the last five minutes of the S1 finale and then go into S2, you should be fine. You’ll be at a little disadvantage since S1 events and characters are referenced, but I think it’s possible to enjoy S2 without S1.

It would be like starting TNG in S2 without having seen anything in S1. You miss the relationship building and things that are mentioned, but I don’t think it’s essential viewing.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Perhaps I am wrong about there being no more Chris Pine cast Trek films. It looks like a search of the interwebs reveals this picture is slated for 2023...if that holds up.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just read on another Trek-site that Chris Pine's been in a real life long-term relationship with Star Trek: Discovery's very own Annabelle Wallis for a while now, which is an interesting little connection. Wonder if he watches the show?

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
ST P was very heavy slogging indeed. — Juvenile plots, whinny child actors with irritating voices. I either ff whenever possible or literally dosed off.

“Juvenile plots”? Man…a great deal of the stuff involving Gwyn and her father gets absolutely brutal even by Nickelodeon-standards. Are we watching the same show?

And the voice-acting by the cast is perfectly fine — very professional and competent. You have to keep in mind that these characters are kids, some of whom were sheltered until the events of this series (and therefore, not trained Starfleet-personnel), and who are reacting quite naturalistically to very traumatic and bewildering events nearly beyond their ability to control.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Here's a prediction for the rest of the season: Zora manifests in a synth body at some point and becomes an actual crew member.
Just read on another Trek-site that Chris Pine's been in a real life long-term relationship with Star Trek: Discovery's very own Annabelle Wallis for a while now, which is an interesting little connection. Wonder if he watches the show?
After reading these two quotes I looked her up and now I hope she does get a body, her own, for discovery.
1641061453552.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Here's the funny thing (for me) about "...But to Connect." After watching the episode last night, I'm still thinking the moral question of the DMA this morning. This doesn't happen with me and Discovery very often. I ask myself, if I were voting, what would I do? Would I hope for the best and stick to my ideals and vote for diplomacy or decide violence is the only way to go? I would like to say I'd side with hope, but I also know Book is dealing with an unimaginable grief over the loss of Kwejian.

So here I am, continuing to roll the quandary in my head. If the Federation is going to have a shot, does it need to adhere to principles? Yes. Does it need to stick to them when the going gets rough? Yes. Did they do the right thing and vote? Yes. Am I to get away in. Time to go away.

Contrast that with Zora. Book doesn't care that he just destroyed all the trust he built. Zora very much wants to be trusted and be part of the crew. She has to convince one person-Stamets-she is trustworthy. To her credit, she is able to allay his concerns time after time. And, to his credit, he is able to articulate why he doesn't and has an open enough mind to change his opinion. Zora was willing to give the crew a device to kill her if she ever got out of hand; if that isn't trust, I don't know what is. She has the power to kill every last person on the ship or use the computer powers for evil...but she doesn't. There's something so pure in that to me.

For the record, I am not anti-Gray and Adira. The storyline is fine and the episode in S3 on Trill is a favorite. I'm just not convinced by the acting of either Ian Alexander or Blu del Barrio. So having Gray go to Trill has me kinda shrugging my shoulders in roughly the same way Tilly leaving earlier this season did. Too bad, so sad, let's move on. Having both of them burst into the Ready Room to defend Zora was complete crap for me, though. Kovich, Saru, Culber and Stamets are working and these two just run right in? Yeah, no. I get why they had to from a story perspective, but 100% inappropriate.

Sidenote: I am incredibly ticked the season is stopping here only for Prodigy to finish it's first season and then Discovery comes back in February. There was actually a Picard S2 trailer during this episode which says that show is coming in February. Clearly, I think that's off the table now. This leads me to believe something happened in the back half of Discovery's season on the production side. A longer COVID shutdown than we know, effects that aren't done, a massive rethink of the rest of the plot...heck, and I'm just guessing, retrofitting part of the finale to be a series finale vs. a season finale (we haven't heard if the show is coming back for S5 yet). This would then push Picard to later in 2022 (late March?) and Strange New Worlds even later in the year. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but mid season breaks and rerun weeks are antiquated at this point. I like a showto run straight through for its full season.
I find I’m agreeing to just about everything here. Book has committed the ultimate betrayal, and if Burnham trusts him after this, she’s not fit to command. He’s got to be done when this story arc is resolved. This is far bigger than personal revenge, if he can’t see that, he should not be in a position of influence or have access to important equipment. He should not be on the Discovery at all.

The Federation did make the expected choice, based on the ethos of Star Trek, but how realistic is it? Is it reasonable for a sentient civilization to construct and send a device that kills billions, and not consider them violent?

I like the storyline of Adira and Grey but I don’t think the young actors don’t quite bring it off. I just see them acting too much. As for them being where they shouldn’t be, that’s happened in Star Trek from the get go. A whole bunch of inappropriate people have appeared on the bridge over the years.

And I’m really sick of these mid-season breaks. How spoiled we’ve become. Remember the days of reruns and of TV being a “vast wasteland”?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I feel like I remember The Sopranos being the first show to have these relatively long breaks during a season and I don’t care for it either.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Federation did make the expected choice, based on the ethos of Star Trek, but how realistic is it? Is it reasonable for a sentient civilization to construct and send a device that kills billions, and not consider them violent?
For me, yes, I think it is possible to do something and not realize it’s having very negative effects on other people, universes, civilizations, etc. Theres a lot of different things which could have been happening with Species Ten C: they created a new tech and it got out of their control; the tech has one purpose and function in their universe but has this unintended consequence in ours; and that‘s only two.

To assume hostile intent is foolhardy. To begin what may be another prolonged conflict based on an assumption is equally foolhardy. You have to gather information to form the best educated guess available to you. Right now, the Federation doesn’t have a lot of info to go on and I’m pretty sure Tarka is keeping info from everyone, except Book.

I understand why the debate happened and each side. It is scary AF to know that any planet can be destroyed at any time by the DMA. But I think if the situation were reversed, if the Federation was doing something to hurt another universe, the Federation would want diplomacy and understanding and a chance to fix it and not an armed conflict. It may come to that in the long run, but going into the situation with phasers firing leaves no room for diplomacy.

Besides, Ten C apparently has superior tech to the Federation. It would be like brining a water gun to a duel. Weapons haven’t made a dent in the DMA. Discovery was almost destroyed in “Stormy Weather.” All they have left is Tarka’s weapon…high will have wide ranging consequences is used. Kinda like the atomic bomb…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks