What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
In Canada, episodes still play one by one on our sci-fi channel. Because it is not streamed, you must still be carful to watch each episode as it comes along. I of course PVR them, but if the system screws up as is all too common, you are still SOL.
It is also being streamed on Crave. Just as an FYI.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I have Crave, but does it stream the latest episodes, or just after a season has been completed?
One of my friends watched each episode via Crave on Friday afternoons during season 3 rather than watching it on Space on Thursday evening.

I'm not sure when they went "live" for streaming though.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I have Crave, but does it stream the latest episodes, or just after a season has been completed?
For season 3, the episodes went live the day after they aired on TV (whereas with season 2 they went live a few minutes ahead of airing). A few times the episodes were dropped on Crave a full day before airing, but those were clearly mistakes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found the Ferengi in DS9 annoying and uninteresting. I hope they’re better this time or are not featured. Did that anomaly look like the CBS eye?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
They don’t appear to be redesigned. That Ferengi just looks old, not unlike Zek.
Nope -- it's definitely an entirely-new makeup-redesign:

Ferengi.jpg

Ferengi_2.jpg

New drinking game: take a shot everytime someone says 'anomaly'.
If you tried this back in the Berman-era, you'd be smashed literally before you even made it out of the second episode of VOY.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought I saw a Cardassian in there too.

The new Ferengi are certainly a craggier version of the original that Andrew Probert designed for the TNG.

That new trailer still worries me of another galactic catastrophe threat.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I would tend to agree that Cardassian did look like she was partly human compared to the normal 24th century Cardassians we’ve seen.

That could be the thinking about that Ferengi’s appearance. Maybe he’s got some DNA from Grilka when she was married to Quark for a while. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It could also be a race thing. While humans and Vulcans come in different complexions and hair types, Romulans (for example) have a Northern race with forehead ridges and a Southern race with smooth foreheads (basically identical to Vulcans). Perhaps that Ferengi captain is from a different continent than the ones we saw in TNG and DS9.

Interesting that Saru, despite apparently being Burnham's first officer, still holds the rank of captain. Hard to say for the others, since they don't have the neck or shoulder pips, but it looked like Detmer might have been promoted to Lt. Commander, and Tilly to Lt. Junior Grade.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Interesting that Saru, despite apparently being Burnham's first officer, still holds the rank of captain. Hard to say for the others, since they don't have the neck or shoulder pips, but it looked like Detmer might have been promoted to Lt. Commander, and Tilly to Lt. Junior Grade.

This would actually be consistent with the TOS movies, where we see both Spock and Scotty serving aboard the Enterprise under Kirk (NCC-1701-A), yet all three held the rank of Captain. It's undoubtedly a military-billeting situation, where two officers might have the same exact rank, but one of them holds a "job slot" (as they currently say in the U.S. Army) of higher command-responsibility than the other.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been watching Season 3 (on blu-ray) in anticipation of Season 4. I think the problem with this show is that there is an almost singular focus on Burnham, to the detriment of all the other characters. (The second episode of Season 3, which doesn't feature Burnham except for a moment at the end is a breath of fresh air.) I like Martin-Green, but as written, Burnham is a pretty one-note character. She's very intense and emotional at the same time. Nearly every scene with her ends with her crying in some fashion. (Not the characteristics of someone raised on Vulcan, nor of the Starfleet officers we are used to.) So because the show is so focused on her and her main characteristic is her emotional intensity, that's the show. There is little else. (Oh, and I hate the lens flares on the bridge all the time. Why would a bridge - or any room - be designed with lights that would blind you whenever you turn your head?) Here's hoping her promotion to captain will tone down the hugging, crying and so forth. She needs more stoicism.

I want to like this show more than I actually do.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've been watching Season 3 (on blu-ray) in anticipation of Season 4. I think the problem with this show is that there is an almost singular focus on Burnham, to the detriment of all the other characters. (The second episode of Season 3, which doesn't feature Burnham except for a moment at the end is a breath of fresh air.) I like Martin-Green, but as written, Burnham is a pretty one-note character. She's very intense and emotional at the same time. Nearly every scene with her ends with her crying in some fashion. (Not the characteristics of someone raised on Vulcan, nor of the Starfleet officers we are used to.) So because the show is so focused on her and her main characteristic is her emotional intensity, that's the show. There is little else. (Oh, and I hate the lens flares on the bridge all the time. Why would a bridge - or any room - be designed with lights that would blind you whenever you turn your head?) Here's hoping her promotion to captain will tone down the hugging, crying and so forth. She needs more stoicism.

I want to like this show more than I actually do.

I have said the same thing in the past in this thread. I did hear one fairly impassioned defense of her emotions on a podcast. Not saying I 100% agree with it, but it is something to consider.

Michael was born in 2226. Roughly 10 years later, her parents were murdered by Klingons. At that age, she blamed herself for keeping her parent son the station instead of going on their planned trip to Mars. Then she goes to Vulcan after that trauma and is bullied and treated extremely poorly by some of the folks there. Also, let's not forget she doesn't get to process the emotions of her parents being murdered and everything that entails. Vulcans are exactly the warm and squishy type (Amanda may have been, but that's one out of a planet full).

By age 23, she's on the Shenzhou, but again, she's been on Vulcan more than she's been with humans. She's adopted that lifestyle. So when she's with humans full time, those emotions all flood back and she needs to figure out how to process them. That stuff takes a whole lot of time. In normal circumstances, she'd likely have taken time away from Starfleet to understand herself. But the Klingon War, Lorca, the Mirror Universe, the totality of S2 and then the time jump of S3 just didn't allow her-or any of the crew, I might add-any time to take a breather. No other human Starfleet officer that we've seen has been told to repress emotions and then been hit smack dab in the face with a brick wall of emotions.

Again, I think a little less crying would be a good thing, but I forgive more of it now looking at it through a different lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Areles
    Recent bookmarks