Standby/Hibernate/Shut Down

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris-C, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Hi again;

Getting my new (refurbed)laptop dialed in,and have a couple of questions about these modes.

I set the cofigurations up to do some maintenance in the early morning hours (2am/3am etc..)Defrag/scandisk.

It appears these config's will only work when the laptop is in the "Standby mode"??

If the power's in the "shut down" mode or "Hibernate" will it still power up,and perform these functions?

I clicked the box that says "power up" to perform these functions.

Is it ok to leave the laptop in the standby mode overnite?

As always thanks for any help.

System is; HP Omnibook XE3 PIII Windows 98 850mkz 256 ram.

Chris

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

There's no problem with leaving the laptop in standby overnight, just make sure to plug it in so the battery doesn't run down.

Standby allows the quickest start-up, since the memory is kept "alive". Hibernate is next best--it dumps the memory to the hard drive and then cuts power. Shut down is used when you want to shut Windows down completely so you get a cold boot next time you power up.

KJP

3. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Kevin thats about what I figured.

Appreciate the help.

CC Rider

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    There should be no problems in leaving a notebook running constantly. I leave mine running for very long periods of times so that it can constantly search for E.T. [​IMG]
    Just don't leave the computer on a soft surface such as a seat cushion or carpeting. The underside of the machine can get pretty hot with the soft material acting as insulation.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Definitely watch out for heat. About 3 years ago my friend left his brand new WinBook laptop running all night, and woke up to find the keyboard melted into the computer.

I would reboot it daily regardless of problems; Windows 9x always behaves better when systematically rebooted. You should also see if there is a "hard reset" switch to cut power to the motherboard. An unfortunate side effect of the ATX PC architecture is that the computer can crash (especially in transition between suspend/hibernate modes) and leave you unable to power it off using the normal power button.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter