my laptop hangs in standby and hibernate mode...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brice, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I love my laptop (a compaq EVO N1000V) and find that it's great for everything that I want to do. But lately it's I've noticed that when I try to put it into Hibernation mode or try to put it in Standby mode it hangs. It goes to the "preparing for standby" and never completes the cycle. Any idea why this is happening... it's not a problem for me. The normal shut down works just fine, but I was just wondering what is going on with it... any ideas?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Did you install any peripherals on your laptop?

Some PCMCIA cards and USB devices cause problems when they are plugged in and you try to enter standby or hibernation. Try removing all the peripherals, and see if that fixes it. If so, add them back in, one at a time, until you find the culprit!

Did you upgrade/downgrade device drivers? Sometimes when you upgrade a video or sound driver bugs are introduced.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

What version of Windows are you running? It was a known problem that Windows wouldnt Hibernate or sleep (pretty much the same thing) without hanging. For windows 98 and ME there is a download patch to fix the issue. Since that point in Windows 2K and XP I just disable the computer from allowing sleep or the Stand bye features so I wont have those issues. If I am not going to use my computer for a bit I simply turn it off.

KyleS

4. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

i'm running windoze 2000 pro... i should disable them... i really don't have a need for them... i was just wondering how i could fix it so i could use those two features if i wanted to... thanks for the help... any other thoughts? ~Brice

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Are you running the version of Windows 2000 that is supposed to come preinstalled on the laptop? I find that if you were to wipe the OS from a laptop, and install from the official MS discs, you'll lose most of the power management features because the custom laptop drivers are NOT included.

Have you checked for the latest drivers on Compaq's website? Hopefully that will make the laptop work like it was supposed to when it was brand new.

6. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I had this problem on this very computer (Dell Inspiron 8100). As it turned out, it was the Manufacturer (Dell) supplied driver for the nVidia GeForce 2 Go Video Card Driver in combination with Windows XP Pro that was causing the problem. They just didn't get along as well. I eventually found a "hacked" driver that works pretty good.

If you have an nVidia Video Card, you may want to check that out, especially since MS seems to draggin Win2K closer and closer to WinXP.

It's an outside thought, but I thought it might be worth a mention.