Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Whenever I needed to access my computer fast I used to
shut down and restart with HIBERNATION.

However, my computer won't always HIBERNATE, pending on
how much activity I have done on it.

Now I use STANDBY. Seems to do the same thing.

So, my question is, what is the difference between HIBERNATE
and STANDBY?

....and while I wait for this answer I am going to put my
computer on standby, go to sleep, and do a quick startup/refresh
without actually booting come Morning.

Thanks, in advance, for the answer!

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Here is what Hibernate Does:

Use this option to shut down your computer without closing your programs or losing any unsaved information. In hibernate mode, Windows saves information in memory to your hard disk, takes note of your open programs, and then shuts down your computer. When you restart, your desktop and programs appear exactly as they were before you turned off your computer

Here is what Standby does:

Use this option to save power, especially if you prefer to leave your computer turned on for long periods of time. In standby mode, your computer is available for immediate use—just log on and your desktop is exactly the way that you left it, including any programs that you were using.

In standby mode, information in memory is not saved to your hard disk. This means that if the computer loses power, any information that you did not save before the computer went into standby mode is lost. It's a good idea to save your work before putting the computer into standby mode.

So in Hybernate if you didn't save your Info and loose Power you will still have that info saved, but in StandBy it Does Not save the info and all data will be lost. If you keep your computer on over night Hibernate would be a good choice and StandBy would be for your Day usage. But Don't Forget to save your Info before going into StandBy

-Gerald

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ah...one of life's biggest mysteries is now solved.

Gerald, thank you so much!

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I have a similar problem as you, Ron. My Toshiba Satellite latop will always hibernate, but doesn't always return when I turn it on again. It sometimes locks up and I have to reboot. I get a message to try to restore or do a fresh boot. The restore option never works. It's not a big deal since I always save, but it is a pain since it takes time. I normally just standby. That seems to always work well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

From much of what I have read, HIBERNATE has never
fared well with Windows XP. Vista is supposed to have a
more reliable hibernation mode.

I always use STANDBY these days if I need to leave my
Lenovo laptop for a few hours or overnight and wish instant
return access.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Also if your laptop is on battery, I think "Standby" consumes more power than "Hibernate," so I do what Gerald said, standby during the day and hibernate at night. I haven't had any problems with Hibernate, and I am on XP Pro.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"Hibernate" actually shuts the system down. "Standby" keeps it on but turns off some power-consuming features.

My Windows 2000 laptop is a little flaky when coming back from hibernation, but it's ancient and probably going to die soon anyway. I haven't had a problems hibernating my XP desktop.

The only caution about hibernating is that if you get in the habit of it, you can go for long periods of time without rebooting, which can make Windows systems cranky.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthonydasher