I Just Got DSL, But Now I Can't Shut Down My Computer! Any Reasoning Here...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike-M, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Here's the situation, and I have no idea if it's related to my 1 day old DSL, but the problem is only one day old.

I got DSL, and now it seems that my computer won't fully power down when I hit "Start" and then "Shutdown" like always. So I end up having to press the on/off button which imporperly shuts down the computer and therefore it has to check for errors the next time I power back up.

I hit shutdown (shutdown the entire comp) and the comp seems to go off a little--almost like a hibernation mode where it appears slightly off but is really on as you can hear it. The computer itself is obviously still running. Just no picture on the monitor or anything.

Anyone know what this could be or how to fix it? Thanks.

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Did you install the NIC yesterday too? I remember having the same problem with my computer not shutting down properly after installing the NIC.

~T

3. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Can you tell me what "NIC" is? I'm new to all of this. Thanks.

4. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Network Interface Card.

5. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Oh right, thanks. Then yeah, I installed it the same day.

6. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Check the power managment settings in the BIOS and make sure that ACPI is enabled. You could also download XTeq Setup (Xteq) and check "Power off Windows on shutdown" in the "Startup/Shutdown" area. That may fix the problem.

7. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Assuming you're running XP or 2K, run Regedit and modify the following...

Expand to this key...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon]

There should be an entry named PowerdownAfterShutdown of type REG_SZ. Set the value to 1. If the entry doesn't exist, create it.

8. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

I'm actually running Windows ME, which I believe is part of the problem with it's compatibility with DSL. I bought a Windows XP upgrade today for $99 and plan to install tonight. Hopefully this works.

9. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

Would the "Wake On Lan" setting have anything to do with this? I never have used this, so I'm not sure what it all responds to, but seems it might come into play with an always on DSL connection....then again, maybe not.

JL

10. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Do you know how to see/change this setting?

11. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

If your motherboard has a built-in ethernet port, this setting is usually found in the bios, IF the motherboard supports this feature. You may find this mentioned also if you go into Device Manager and look at the properties of your network card.
    On my computer, under the 'Advanced' tab I have:
    Link Wake-Up Enabled
    Link Wake-Up Disabled
    If you installed an ethernet card, sometimes it will require a small 2 conductor cable to go from the card to the 'Wake On Lan'(WOL) connector on the motherboard. With newer cards and motherboards, tho, I *think* they may be mostly software driven.
    The more I think about it, this probably isn't your problem. I would re-check your power management settings.
    I'm not sure about ME, but XP has a power management tab in the properties of the network card...make sure it's unchecked where it says "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".
    Like I said, I'm not that familiar with Wake On Lan, and I probably shouldn't have even said this much. I've probably made numerous errors, but hopefully if I did, someone will graciously (hopefully, anyway) steer you in the right direction.

JL