What's new

Standard screen vs. WS on RP HDTV (1 Viewer)

Peter_Woo

Agent
What is the difference between standard screen format DVD and Wide screen format DVD on a Widescreen TV? I thought they would look the same on WS TV since the TV is already in widescreen format, is that right?? or would the standard screen DVD looked stretch out on the widescreen TV (like all TV shows)? TIA

Peter

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Only if your widescreen locks into full mode with progressive-scan DVD signals. Otherwise, a 4:3-format disc should display as a 4:3 image. If it's a letterboxed DVD encoded in 4:3, it should also display correctly.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
A "full-screen" DVD displayed on a widescreen TV (oh the irony) would be displayed one of 2 ways. (1) As a 4:3 image between vertical grey or black bars (i.e. normal mode) or (2) stretched out according to some zoom or "full" setting on the TV.

Either way, a "full-screen" DVD (I can't bring myself to call them "standard" unless they were filmed that way originally) will never display the same as a widescreen DVD. It will either be pillarboxed with black or grey bars, or stretched/zoomed/distorted in some way. If you wish to view original 4:3 broadcasts or films in the correct aspect ration on your WS TV, view them in "Normal" mode. If you are watching "full-screen" versions of a film that was originally widescreen, my question is - WHY?

Peter_Woo

Agent
Thanks for the info, guys
I will make sure we buy WS version DVD instead of getting standard format at a cheaper price.

Peter

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just to clarify, you want to get anamorphic widescreen (or "enhanced for widescreen/16x9") DVDs, not just any old "widescreen" DVDs, which can just be plain letterboxed (for 4x3 TV). Besides the difference in viewing mode, the PQ of anamorphic DVDs will generally be better than plain letterboxed ones.

In most cases, you won't really have a choice for a particular movie, but there are plenty of exceptions, especially as old DVDs get re-released. For example, if you want to buy the movie Stargate, make sure it's the new Ultimate Edition, which is 16x9, instead of one of the old plain letterboxed versions.

Also, there are some that are mislabeled as anamorphic or "enhanced", especially old titles from the early days of DVD. This is particularly true of Warner (and maybe HBO, MGM and New Line) titles from that period. Goodfellas and the old version of JFK were notable cases of this.

_Man_

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Wow Peter! Were you implying you were going to buy a non-OAR(im assuming)? Always get the OAR(usually widescreen) DVD, dont consider the full-screen alternate, even if it is cheaper. Thats just telling the studio that people will buy non-OAR DVDs and that its ok for them to release mroe of them. Just buy OAR, which is usually widescreen nowadays.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks