What's new

Stacking Components (Receiver on top of DVD player) (1 Viewer)

Chris Sharp

Agent
Hey guys,

Quick question. I got a Panasonic CP-72 DVD player for xmas. I am quickly reaching the limits of my garage sale TV cabinet. For the time being I would like to put my receiver (Onkyo 797 - 35lbs) on top of the DVD player. The manual for the DVD player says not to put any heavy objects on top of it. What is their definition of heavy? Any opinions on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Travis Destasio

Auditioning
Is there some reason why you can't place the dvd player on top of the reciever. I personally wouldn't put my reciever on top of my dvd player but the other way around would be fine.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
In NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM should you do either.

Yes, that receiver is considered "heavy". (Do you have anything in your rack heavier???)

but the other way around would be fine
No, No, No. That receiver has vent holes on the top because it produces lots of heat. I'm sure if you read the receiver manual you will see something like: "The unit needs at least 8 inches of empty space above the receiver for proper ventilation".

Either buy a new rack, build your own "Flexy" rack (search the DIY fourm for advice) or my favorite: pull the receiver out of the rack and to the side. If you have carpet, put a large tile square underneath to avoid having the receiver sink into the carpet. The tile will also act like a "heat-sink".

The best solution would be to re-arrange your rack:

- Receiver on the bottom/lowest shelf. Leave room above for venting.

- Put the devices you interact with (DVD/VCR) on the top shelves.

- Fill in from the top the things you dont touch like CATV/Sat receiver.

Chris Sharp

Agent
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that the receiver was consider a heavy object. Guess that means its time for a new entertainment unit and widescreen tv!

I knew putting it on top of the receiver was not option. Not enough ventilation for the Receiver, and too much heat for the DVD player.

I'll find an interim solution while I am looking around for entertainment centers.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks