What's new

stacking components? (1 Viewer)

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
so i had my new tv delievered today and as it's a step up from my old one (20" -> 51") i can no longer use my entertainment cabinet to hold my equipment, as i'm short on funds does anyone see any harm in stacking my dvd player right on top of my receiver for the short run? i know heat could be an issue however if i keep movies to a minimum etc it shouldn't be to bad i suppose?

also for whatever reason my sub has developed a really bad buzzing noise, when i swap cables from my monster thx (bought before i was educated on the subject :D ) to just a normal yellow video cable it goes away, any ideas on why this would suddenly happen?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
People ask this all the time, and the answer is always the same:

Nothing
Should
Ever
Be Stacked
With a Receiver.

It's not that heat "could be" an issue; heat is an issue. And while it may not lead to an immediate failure, it shortens the life of your components.

Don't stack. Find another way.

M.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you have a digitally powered receiver (one of those Panasonics or H/K or Sony) they probably don't get that hot to begin with. Otherwise, as long as they aren't in a cabinet, and if you space the components some, you should be OK. For example, I use rubber stoppers to space apart the stacked gear that I have. (Cheapy mechanical isolation too. :) ) Adds about 1 inch. But use common sense too. How hot does the receiver get? If it's too hot to the touch, then you might not want to stack anything on top of it.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If you can put the DVD player under the receiver if not use something to give more distance like the rubber stoppers Kevin talked about.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Which gets to one of the reasons I have never owned a receiver.
Why would I want to put my preamp/tuner on "broil"?

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
yah it's currently sitting about 3 inches above to give it some room for air to escape, i've developed a new form of isolation using some old camera filters as legs for now heh

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Clearly it isn't recommended.

Generally, though, especially for short term, it probably isn't harmful - I've been short-stacking components for years, although I'll also point out that the ambient temperature around my stack right now is 59ºF.

The one-inch rubber spacer pucks are a good idea though, and if you do think you're having any heat issues, get a small ball-bearing, quiet muffin fan and get some air flow going. A tiny bit of air moving around can do wonders for heat control.

Leo Kerr

Edwin_D

Grip
It also is worth checking out where the vents are located on your receiver. If they are on the top, then I would not stack something on top of it with no additional spacing, but you might be able to stack the receiver on top of the dvd player, if the receiver does not have vents on the bottom. If you are really concerned about the heating issue, use a thermometer to compare the temperature between components to the ambient temperature.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Why do people want to stack stuff on top of a receiver and a sub?

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
because i just spent all my money on a tv and have no cash to by a proper rack for my equipment right now :p

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
i've got it propped up enough to about the same level it was before so there is air ciruculating under it, thx for the advice everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks