What's new

square room negates good speakers? (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Will the negative aspects of having a square room cancel out the benefit of better speakers? More specifically, I'm wondering about something like the Aperion speakers vs. something like the B&W 705s.

I guess another way to ask this question would be: will a square room prevent the full realization of a higher end speaker?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Not at all. It wll just stack up bass modes on each other, worsening the problem for bass reproduction. Ideally you want different L/W/H modes so that you have modes that are spread out and even, thus dont "stack up" on each other and produce way bigger swings in bass response. You can try to play around with placement, but it won't really affect mid and highs at all. It might be a good idea to get a sub though, so that you can place that separately, to try to get the best bass performance you can out of the room, without limiting its placement to the places you'd want to put the main speakers.

Better speakers will sound better no matter where you put them (IMO). A poor room will limit the ultimate performance of the system, and the room IS a very significant part of the system, but putting great speakers in a bad room will probably still sound pretty darn great. Just not maxed out is all. In terms of dimensions, again it's mostly bass response that gets messed.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Chris. Good speakers will always shine through, even if the room isn't top notch. As Chris said, the biggest problems are in the bass. And I agree that a separate, good, powered sub gives you some additional flexibility here. Do home trials and get the speakers that sound best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks