What's new

Spyware help (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I searched through the other spyware threads, and I've already tried Spybot: Search and Destroy to try to get rid of it. What happens is that it sets my homepage to res://mshp.dll/index.html#10213 and when I try to reset it, it sets it to back to what they want it to be after I close IE again. Also, pop-ups come up at random intervals while I'm using IE. Did it mess up the registry, and is the easiest solution to reinstall Windows? I hope not. :frowning:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Have you tried Ad-Aware? I find that it does a better job of handling spyware than spybot, and is much more user-friendly.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Oops, forgot about that. I still have the problem with the homepage thing, but the pop-ups seem to have stopped.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Does Windows keep a log of everything that happens in the background? I found the mshp.dll file that it goes to, and it's in the Windows directory. I deleted it, but it came back. Maybe if I could find out what created it, I could delete that too and problem solved.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yay! I found the culprit. I went to Control Panel and Add and Remove Programs, and found something installed today that I didn't want to install, uninstalled it, and problem solved.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Thomas:

Try going to your Run command line and type in msconfig. Click on the Startup tab and see if anything is listed that shouldn't be there as some sort of executable. If there is then just uncheck it and then restart your computer and see if it still gives you the same problem. You should be able to tell which ones you would need to keep. If in question though leave it alone.

The other thing to try, if you are comfortable with editing the system registry, is to type in regedit in the Run command line and then do a Find for the IP address that gets put back in all the time. If it finds it just delete that entry.

It sounds to me like some program is being initiated in start up with your computer and preventing the program from itiating at start up may eliminate your problem.

Both of these are just suggestions that you can try and if you don't feel comfortable with doing either one I wouldn't mess with it.

There are several Pop Up Blocker programs out there that you can get that will take care of your Pop Ups too.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
A few seconds too late. :) I'll keep it in mind if I come across this again. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks