What's new

Spy Kids 3D .. in Field-Sequential 3-D! (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
...Somebody pinch me! For the first time ever in the United States, an A-List Hollywood feature has been released in the field-sequential 3-D video format. ..It's not another 3-D bootleg .. nor a low budget skin flick.. nor is it an obscure large format 3-D film.. This is a true high dollar played-in-all-fifty-states 3-D feature! Sure.. SPY KIDS 3D is more of a kid's flick and certainly is no HOUSE OF WAX, but never the less, this release represents a major field-sequential milestone.

Sensio had first released SPY KIDS 3-D in it's own proprietary 3-D video format, which squeezes the left and right images side by side and is then stored on a DVD. A $3000 processor (yes, that's the correct number of zeros) is required to play it back. ...Given the cost of the Sensio processor, I think it's safe to say the official Sensio 3D format will stay a very niche market for now.

But now under the HQFS banner (high quality field sequential) Sensio has quietly re-released SPY KIDS 3-D in field-sequential 3-D on DVD. As expected, when one compares this version to the first anaglyph "red/blue" 3-D DVD video release, a couple layers of murk is lifted from the image along with a reduction of ghosting normally found in color-anaglyph video. Colors finally look natural. The 3-D experience takes on a new life. In short, the 3-D presentation far surpasses the original anaglyph theatrical and DVD presentations. ..But is this to say Sensio did everything right? Nope.

The HQFS version of SPY KIDS 3-D was mastered to DVD with an improper 4x3 flag. Meaning the disc itself *is* 16x9 enhanced, but the flag is set to 4x3. So if you have a 4x3 display device, you will see the entire image .. but it will remain slightly stretched. If you have a 16x9 display device, just instruct your display device to unsqeeze the image and you're all set. But again, 4x3 viewers will be forced to see slightly thinner actors, along with oval moons and so on... While this glitch is for the most part benign to widescreen users and may go unnoticed to younger viewers watching in 4x3, this was a very sloppy oversight that should have been caught before the release.

Besides the 16x9/4x3 flag issues, the other critiques come down to minor nit picks. The feature has some occasional interlace artifacts which could have been avoided if the conversion to field-sequential been done correctly. The Sensio version changes the convergence in a few scenes when compared to the original anaglyph 3-D version(s), but fails to correct the occasional rendering errors that present some backgrounds and/or objects in reverse 3-D. But to be fair on this last point, these rendering errors are also present on the anaglyph theatrical prints, the anaglyph DVD, and the previous Sensio squeezed side by side 3-D video version. So perhaps the raw elements to correct these scenes are either no longer available or are not easily feasible ($$) to correct.

The HQFS SPY KIDS DVD is available from select on-line outlets, including Amazon.com. The field-sequential 3-D format reqires an interlaced display device, or a progressive scan display that properly converts interlaced 3-D video to progressive.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Well....for those who have 16 X 9 sets, this sounds great.

Dare we hope we'll see Rodriguez's second 3-D film, THE ADVENTURES OF SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL given the same treatment at some point? The anaglyph DVD is due out on 9/20, so I'm sure they'll let that breathe in the marketplace for a few months before releasing a superior version.

If so, hopefully they'll flag it so that it displays properly on 4X3 sets too.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The price is right- I'd order it right now but I don't have a 16x9 set yet. Are they planning on fixing it? I could probably fix it on my computer, but of course that might be illegal. Or will they have anamorphic glasses I can wear to stretch it out properly? ;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If you have a 4x3 set that allows you to force a 16x9 mode (either officially or via the service menu), you can watch the disc with its correct geometry.

DJ

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Hello Greg,

Please explain how a progressive scan display can properly convert an interlaced 3-D video to progressive.

Thanks!

GregK

Screenwriter
The biggest problem with interlaced 3-D video played displayed via progressive scan is related to HOW the field-sequential interlaced video is converted to progressive. Meaning if the line doubler/de-interlacer looks at the interlaced 3D video and decides to apply 3/2 pulldown, the original field order is destroyed along with a usable 3D image. However if a line doubler / deinterlacer decides to use interpolation for it's progressive scan conversion, the orignal field order remains intact, along with the 3-D. Some deinterlacers automatically can do both correctly. Some require changing an internal setting (ie: a "video" conversion mode). Some deinterlacers won't convert it properly in any mode.

Just as proper inverse telecine film modes were once hit and miss in consumer progressive scan conversion devices, the same applies to proper interlaced (field-sequential) 3-D conversions. Check your progressive scan mode(s) on your progressive scan DVD player and also check the internal conversion used in your display device. One of the two may work.

It's worth noting again display devices with slower decay rates (LCD or plasma displays) may or may not exhibit ghosting in 3-D. I wish someone out there was testing progressive scan displays and pro-scan DVD players for proper interlaced 3D playback, but sadly that's currently not the case. So if you want to risk $30 on a cheap LCS 3-D system to try out your system, you may be in luck. http://www.i-glassesstore.com/3dvidviewstarter.html

Of course in an ideal world, we instead could all can spring for the two interlocked DVD players and two projector system mentioned earlier in this thread. :D

GregK

Screenwriter
IO Display does not want to deal with returns, hence that disclaimer. If you want to try field-sequential 3-D on an HDTV or progressive scan display, again note the precautions I listed above. I've been viewing field-sequential 3-D video on HDTV sets for years, which includes rear projection CRT HDTVs and a DLP front projector. With each person's given set up, it may or may not work. Interlace displays should always work, so if it doesn't work on your HD set, you could use it there.

Rolando

Screenwriter
But only one person at a time can view this in 3D right?

do they make glasses Kits for like 4 people? not much fun to watch these alone.

GregK

Screenwriter
Rolando-

IO Display and Razor offer a 2 pair of LCS glasses starter special as well-
http://www.razor3donline.com/vidview-movies.html

The older style of IO Display controller only allows for wired LCS 3D glasses

But if you get one of the newer controller units they accept the wired glasses through a mini port in the back of the unit, plus allow for viewing via wireless LCS 3D glasses

Additional wired and wireles glasses can be purchased as well.
http://www.razor3donline.com/3dvideogear.html

Rolando

Screenwriter
really? So theoretically you can have multiple wireless glasses simultaneously?

that is more like it!

now in all honesty, how good is the effect?

I saw Friday the 13th in 3D at my local repertory theatre and was floored.

However the Freddy DVD with the 5 minute 3D sequence was... well horrible.

where would this be on that scale?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a Piano HE-3100 dlp projector. Any way this projector will work with a 3-d signal?

MikeDE

Second Unit
I can't locate this on Amazon.com. What search words should I use that will pull up the field sequential version?

GregK

Screenwriter
The 3-D finale for Freddy's Dead was presented in red/blue anaglyph 3-D for both it's original theatrical and SE DVD release. I felt it didn't look that great in either venue. Friday the 13th Part III was actually released in the field-sequential 3D format years ago in Japan, using the discontinued VHD videodisc format. A friend actually has one of these VHD players along the (now very expensive) Friday III 3-D videodisc. While the film telecine transfer is no longer up to today's standards, the opening credits are just as amazing in field-sequential 3-D.

Roland- I have not tried the Piano DLP projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks