What's new

Spotted a new L&H Collection but seems to be filled with public domain and silent content. (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The UK Blu-Ray will not have the UCLA/Jeff Joseph restorations.
I'll be ordering this , but I'm wondering - will the five films look better than what we now have? Will some "tweaking" be done to the tapes they DO have , and will the fact that they are now on BD also offer an improvement over what we already have? Just wondering. As I mentioned I'll be ordering regardless , but I'm hoping they will look even better than what we already have, which isn't bad .

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here's the imminent 3-BD UK set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JG786KX
With five prime features and at least three shorts as extras, it's almost the L&H equivalent of the restored Marx Brothers' sets. As it's from Universal, the discs will definitely be region free. But bear in mind if there are any SD extras they may be in PAL rather than NTSC, and may not play in regular region A/1 set-ups.

As for the Mill Creek set above, it's a box of substandard, rehashed crap quality transfers that they and other bargain bin companies have released a hundred times before. Not worth watching even if you get it for free.
Unfortunately, most of the reviews for the above set aren't very good, citing such things as upscaling of the previous 2011 DVD transfers (Though to be fair, those were scanned at 1080p.), and interlacing.

To top it off, two of the Amazon UK reviews cite these discs as Region B locked, despite Amazon's Region Free listing!

Here's the Amazon UK page:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07JG786KX/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

CHEERS! :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I've only watched one of the features on the UK set so far... Pardon Us. It's a huge step up from the DVDs... the best I've ever seen this film look. However it uses the bloated overlong "restored" version that has 20 minutes of trims put into it. I wish they would release this film in the original release again. I don't think it has been put out that way since the VHS era. More is not always better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks