What's new

SPL Meter & Me (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I want to say thanks to all the folks who have put down their thoughts in electrons, and shared some knowledge.
Much appreciated.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this is a stupid question but using Video Essentials test tones what volume setting am I supposed to use on my receiver? It's a denon 1802 if that matters.

BruceD

Screenwriter
I don't have a Denon, but how is the volume represented on the Denon's front panel display? With a number like -10, -5, or 0 ?

What does Denon say about speaker, volume, and DD calibration in it's manual?

Typically you use the VE test DVD, the DVD remote control, the Denon remote control, and the SPL meter to get a reading of 75dB on the SPL meter when playing the DVD test tones in DD5.1 for the main left front speaker while holding the SPL meter at your normal listening position.

The way to do this is different on many receivers, but essentially you are trying to get the sound of the DVD playing and registering 75dB on the SPL meter to be the zero (0) reference point on your Denon volume control.

Then all the other speakers are adjusted with trim controls to equal this same 75dB reading on the SPL meter.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
BruceD, the Denon represents the volume as you stated (-10,-9,-8 etc). So what you're saying is that I should put my SPL on 80db, set the recievers volume to 0 and the play the test tones? From there all speakers should register -5db on the SPL?

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is better to set the SPL meter to 70db and use the +5 reading to get 75db. The SPL meter is more accurate on the positive side.

Thanks to the people that answered my question about my speaker soundstage.

I'm pretty sure my issue is with speaker placement. I've been experimenting with the toe in on my Titans and am making progress on getting the sound where I want it. My question is, is there a guide for how toe-in affects the soundstage?

Yes, I know that more toe in will generally collapse it and less will expand it, but what about pointing one speaker more than another? Is this ok? What about moving speakers forward and backward (an inch or so). Just curious if there's a rul of thumb or just listening to your ear.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It's impossible to put something like that down on paper, since one setup will likely sound better or worse in a different ROOM.

Generally, in my NHT experience, when I see the inside panels on my speakers more than just a bit, they image the best.

Only 3-7 degrees each...

Good Luck -

- CM

Ok, here's another dumb question.

I've been trying to get my speakers calibrated so that the vocals on a CD come from right in front of me (at this point they seem to be a little more to the right). But then, the more I thought about it, maybe they're not supposed to. Do most CDs produce the vocals in the center of the soundstage or are the vocal on one side and other instruments on another side? I realize this varies from CD to CD, but I'm just trying to get a handle on everything. I just want to make sure I'm using a good CD to calibrate.

Thanks for all your help.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
All CD's differ somewhat....

Tweak, and then tweak some more...

Have Fun!

- CM

BruceD

Screenwriter
Chris,

It's hard to tell if the vocals are actually centered and it varies from CD to CD, some left, some right, etc..

The best way to center the soundstage is to play a female voice in mono on both left and right speakers at the same time. Then you adjust the speaker distance and toe-in to center that voice where you want it.

If you don't have any mono CD sources or a mono switch on the preamp, you could take a Y cable from the left pre-out to both the left and right amp-in to produce a mono signal in both channels.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
One comment about reading -5 on the meter: I recall from the AVIA disc that this meter is most accurate in the range 0 to 6 (or something close to that). So, it is better to change the range to get the needle in positive territory.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I also want to say that my harman kardon receiver manual says to set the master volume to -15 before stabilizing all speakers at 75db. The thing is I'm not sure how high the master volume can go, when I first got it I pushed it to +5 db (maybe that was the max?). That's 95db, doesn't make sense...should go higher to 105db. Yet my point is I listen to movies now at -20 and it's already well over loud enough, so I don't think I can handle it at 0db (paltry 90db). Guess I'll turn it to an input I'm not using and turn the volume up to check what the master volume gets up to...

-ELmO

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
+10, right?

I don't know why the manual would tell you to go to a certain level on the master VC, and then tweak.

I have the HK AVR110. When using the VE disc I use the left main tone to bring the SPL meter to 75db. Then, as the tone works around the room I use the trim controls for each channel to keep the needle at 75.

My volume control winds up at +2db.

Levels for each channel =

L +0

R +0

C -2

RS -3

LS -3

Sub trim varies since there are really 2 volume controls for it - the trim control and the sub's amp level control. Whatever combination of the 2 that makes the needle read between 73 - 76db is ballpark. Adjust to suit.

Good Luck, ElmO

- CM

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I have HK-AVR120, very similar model to yours and here is what mine says:
Speaker-Output-Level Adjustment
Make sure the Balance control and the tone controls (Bass and Treble) are pointing straight up in the 12 o’clock position. Adjust the Master Volume control until the front panel displays – 15dB. Avoid having any extraneous noise in the room during this procedure. While seated in the listening position, press the Test button on the remote to start the test tone circulating. Use the left-front speaker as your reference, and adjust the level of each of the other speakers to match the left-front speaker. As the test tone circulates, the front panel of the receiver will display the position the sound should be coming from. Use the up/down arrows on the remote to adjust the level for a speaker. The test tone will pause at that position to allow you to make the adjustment. When you are satisfied with the speaker’s output level, press the Set button to store the change. If you are using an SPL meter, set it for 75dB, C-Weighting, Slow.
When you have finished setting all of the speaker-output levels, press the Test button to end the procedure.

AbelM

Second Unit
Yeah I have a question about volume as well. I just bought VE and an SPL Meter, and it says nothing in the manuel where to put my volume on to calibrate...HELP!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
OH, DUH!!

I didn't realize it was using it's own tones te -15db.

Now it makes sense. I use a disc to generate the tones. When I used the internal signals it was quite inconsistent.

If you play with the LFE / L+R setting I wonder if it will send a signal then. Usually receiver tones skip the sub all together.

Abel - Don't worry about where the volume is, it's going to be different for everyone. You just want that first left front tone to drive the meter's needle to 75db. Tweak each independent channel after that.

Good Luck -

- CM

AbelM

Second Unit
Ummmm, Collin-

I can't change the F & R speakers...it says in the manuel that you want to change the other speakers (rears and center) to amtch the fronts...AHHH, what do I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks