What's new

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
No, the Superbit DVD had the standard font too. I bought it as an upgrade to the original DVD release, hoping it would have the original font in addition to an improved picture, but it was just another chance for me to be disappointed. Same thing with the Special Edition DVD and both Blu Rays, then again with the original UHD. My god, will this really be my 7th time buying this damn movie?

Sorry to dispute you, but here are a couple of stills from my copy of the Superbit DVD:

BSDrac_SuperbitStill1.JPG
BSDrac_SuperbitStill2.JPG

This is from the US release, at least. Not sure if other countries got something different.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sorry to dispute you, but here are a couple of stills from my copy of the Superbit DVD:

View attachment 143311 View attachment 143312

This is from the US release, at least. Not sure if other countries got something different.
Huh. Well what do you know about that? I've been living a lie. I guess I just never appreciated how good I had it back then.

Of course, now that I see them again, they aren't nearly as exciting as I remember them being. Still much better looking than what they were replaced with.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Keanu was absolutely miscast and is quite dreadful in the first half of the movie, especially all the romancy stuff with Winona Ryder. I find that his performance improves in the second half, however, when Harker is older and more grizzled.
I feel the same way, even if his “grizzled” gray hair is quite obviously makeup and a bit distracting.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I feel the same way, even if his “grizzled” gray hair is quite obviously makeup and a bit distracting.

Yeah, but I put that in the same category as all of the very obvious practical effects and camera trickery in the movie. All of that feels very "theatrical," like the artifice is intentional.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Huh. Well what do you know about that? I've been living a lie. I guess I just never appreciated how good I had it back then.

Of course, now that I see them again, they aren't nearly as exciting as I remember them being. Still much better looking than what they were replaced with.

Yeah; they're not super-fancy. But the font and color do mesh with the movie's visual aesthetics better (which is probably why the filmmakers chose them in the first place).

That's why it's annoying when studios opt for the generic font on disc releases, especially when they go to the trouble of preserving them for the digital/streaming releases. I understand the need for a "clean" universal master that can be used for various territories, but it's been demonstrated on a number of releases that player-generated subtitles are able to retain original fonts/colors. This was done for all three Godfather films, and for certain Marvel films (though not all for some reason).

UHD can get us closer than ever to making a video master look like a pristine theatrical print, but those generic subtitles counteract that, so it's disappointing when it happens.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I sold my previous 4K mastered Blu-ray in anticipation of this.
I hope I did the right thing and this doesn't look worse.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
As ever, I'm torn. I have a real love/hate relationship with this film. And the things I can't abide in it include Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins, and the entire revisionist long-lost-dead-love plot. Which is a pretty significant list of objections, honestly, so the film is always on my "maybe… maybe not" list on any format.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
As ever, I'm torn. I have a real love/hate relationship with this film. And the things I can't abide in it include Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins, and the entire revisionist long-lost-dead-love plot. Which is a pretty significant list of objections, honestly, so the film is always on my "maybe… maybe not" list on any format.
I never thought much about that plot add on. I need to re-read the book again- it’s been years but I love it. Is that even mentioned in the book?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I never thought much about that plot add on. I need to re-read the book again- it’s been years but I love it. Is that even mentioned in the book?
I don't believe so. I'm not recalling any "love story" from the novel. Lucy and Mina are just convenient to Dracula's new home in London and he needs new brides. There is no obsession with Mina, or recognition of her as having any resemblance to anyone in Dracula's past. She's just there.

The only love story in the novel is between Mina and Jonathan Harker.

Robert Saccone

Premium
The idea of the Mina having a resemblance to Dracula’s wife of the past could have its origins, either directly or indirectly, to Dan Curtis’ Dark Shadows where present day Maggie Evans has a strong resemblance to Josette du Pre who was supposed to marry Barnabas back in 1795. It’s the first use of that type of plot line that I can recall in any vampire related story line I’ve read or seen.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I didn't think of Sony as the kind of studio that likes to prey on collectors by employing gimmicks like re-releasing the same films on the same format. Different formats, yes, not the same formats. I seriously thought this was going to be a new special edition with a fresh scan when I first saw the announcement. Don't fall into that trap, Sony. There are a lot of movies that could use an upgrade from Blu-ray.

Speaking of Sony, I hate their current logo. "SONY" displayed prominently onscreen for what seems like forever, followed by the iconic "Columbia Pictures" statue. Every time I see that I think of things like, "QUASAR" Presents, A Film by Steven Spielberg"... or VIZIO Presents: The Godfather Part 4. Yuck.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I didn't think of Sony as the kind of studio that likes to prey on collectors by employing gimmicks like re-releasing the same films on the same format. Different formats, yes, not the same formats.

Are you forgetting about Sony's "Superbit" DVDs and the "Mastered in 4K" line of Blu-rays?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That this is a Fathom event seems to make it suspect that it will be shown in 4K. Seems like there have been a number of issues with recent films not looking great from Fathom?

I was hoping this was a direct re-release from Sony.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fathom itself is merely a joint venture of the major theater chains established for the booking of repertory programming from major studios and special events from outside distributors (like Opera simulcasts from the Met). They can show a variety of formats - including 4K DCPs. Some studios choose to provide content via satellite transmission, others via satellite download, and others via DCP. It really varies on a case by case basis.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Fathom itself is merely a joint venture of the major theater chains established for the booking of repertory programming from major studios and special events from outside distributors (like Opera simulcasts from the Met). They can show a variety of formats - including 4K DCPs. Some studios choose to provide content via satellite transmission, others via satellite download, and others via DCP. It really varies on a case by case basis.

It really seems like streaming from a satellite is the most common. Not even always in high definition.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Yep. I've gone to a number of Rifftrax events through Fathom. Most of them have gone fine. Some of them have not. And yes, the theater seems to often have something to do with it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OK, thanks for the input. I've never attended a Fathom event at my theater, but kind of would like to see BSD again on the big screen. One of my memories from college is going to see this in the theater with a group of friends. Most of us loved it, except one who wasn't a horror movie fan and kept covering his eyes and sliding down in his seat. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks