What's new

Speculation on WB June 2007 western and/or adventure releases (1 Viewer)

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena

Valley Of The Kings seemed to me like one of the inspirations for the Indiana Jones movies...maybe they could release it on DVD and promote it that way, in time for the 4th Indiana Jones film in 2008. :D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Over in R2, the Rio Bravo SE has already been announced, plus - and this points the way for another title in the John Wayne Box set I think - an SE of The Cowboys. From The DVF Forums:

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

John: In the transcript of the Chat, Warners indicated that in addtion to a SE of Rio Bravo it was releasing in RI "six brand new to DVD John Wayne films from their library". The Cowboys was released long ago on DVD in R1, so even if they do a re-issue it wouldn't seem to be one of the 6 new to DVD John Wayne films that they mentioned.

Do you or anyone else have any thoughts as to what the 6 new to DVD John Wayne films might be? Would it likely include films such as Trouble Along the Way, Big Jim McLain, Tycoon?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Trying to "pigeon-hole" titles for marketing strategies is like attempting the world's most exasperating sudoku puzzle. I'd love to get STORY OF MANKIND for spectacle (and it would complete the Marx Bros. catalog. I hope that WILD ROVERS is released (maybe as a 70s title with THE CAREY TREATMENT?)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Nevertheless, I would put a pretty large bet on The Cowboys being reissued as part of the centenary releases in R1 this year; it's in dire need of a good transfer.

I'm sure the films you mention are being considered, not too fond of Big Jim McLain myself.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Now that Universal has made a deal to release their 3-D film on DVD with Sensio, it would be advantageous of Warner Bros. to start looking into their own library of 3-D titles, of which they have more than any other studio:

HOUSE OF WAX (WB)
ARENA (MGM)
THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER (WB)
SECOND CHANCE (RKO)
DEVIL'S CANYON (RKO)
THE MOONLIGHTER (WB)
LOUISIANA TERRITORY (RKO)
KISS ME KATE (WB)
THE FRENCH LINE (RKO)
DANGEROUS MISSION (RKO)
PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE (WB)
DIAL M FOR MURDER (WB)
THE BOUNTY HUNTER (WB)
SON OF SINBAD (RKO)
and the 3-D version of THE COMMAND (WB)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I think that Warner are still happy with current consumer 3D reproduction formats. So maybe it is something they'll finally use on HD-DVD or Blu-ray?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

This is already on the Bringing Up Baby bonus disc, so I doubt they'd duplicate it for Rio Bravo.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

What a hugely underrated film this is. Ford's use of minimal dialog and stark close-ups, along with top-notch acting by all involved, puts this film right up with any western released during the 40s and 50s. Ford has actually been quoted as saying that this was the favorite of all the westerns he made. One viewing of it, and you'll know why that is.

Charles H

Screenwriter
WAGON MASTER is my favorite Ford film too. Because of the lack of iconic stars, it feels like a documentary. (I'd love to get THE FUGITIVE out on dvd too. I've heard that THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT, WAGONMASTER, and THE FUGITIVE are Ford's top personal favorites). BIG JIM McLAIN is a fascinating relic of its time, and it would be gutsy if WB did a commentary on it. Wayne plays a HUAC investigating Communist activity in Hawaii. The Commies are using a leper colony as a front.

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
WHV has already released these "epic"-style widescreen DVDs in R2-land:

Goliath and the Barbarians (1959)
Sodom and Gomorrah (1962)
Moonfleet (1955)

Also, The Hanging Tree (1959), but full screen, so maybe it won't fit the bill. At least the three above could be bundled and called some kind of "historical epic" set.

Corey

Screenwriter

Egg in my face. lol, I had no idea. I only thought they had released Ivanhoe.

Corey

Screenwriter
where's the announcement for these classic adventure movies? i want more swashbucklers and films like zenda and a tale of two cities and the three musketeers.

Corey

Screenwriter
Hopefully we'll get films like:

-Anthony Adverse
-Viva Villa!
-The Man Who Would Be King
-Stanley and Livingstone
-Trader Horn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks