What's new

Specific DVD/CD Player Needs (1 Viewer)

Andrew Hershey

Auditioning
Hi everyone,
I do not know much about home theater, I'm not an video/audiophile. However, my parents are getting a new house and they want a nice home theater set-up. So, they asked me to do a little research and find the best stuff for a reasonable price. I am a bargain shopper who demands quality.
So, I've done some research and I've decided on a Onkyo TX-SR600. Now I'm looking into the other audio and video components.
I really really would appreciate some help if anyone has any advice!
CD Player:
SACD not necessary. My parents wouldn't utilize the function so don't worry about it.
5-6 CD Changer. They don't have many CD's as it is, but they like the ones they have.
Plays CD-R/RW
Best sound quality possible. I want to make the experience with the CD's they have count!
Price, somewhere between $200-$400
DVD Player:
Progressive Scan please :D
Doesn't have to be a changer, one would be fine and dandy.
No need for DVD-A etc... All I need is for it to play DVD's and play them well!
Thank you for reading! I really do appreciate it!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Andrew, what is your budget for a dvd player? There are many progressive scan models now under $200. Two new models that are popular on this forum are the Panasonic RP-82 and the Toshiba SD4800. Another Panasonic model that has also been popular is the RP-91 but that is a good bit more money. Your best bet would be to do a search in this forum.

It sounds like you're not interested in a dual dvd/cd changer which is fine - that is the route I took as well.

As for CD changers, best sound quality is really going to depend on what speakers they're listening to the music through. Also, if you're going to use the digital out of the cd player and the Onkyo's DACs, then the quality of DACs inside the player isn't going to matter. I picked up a Marantz CC-3000 5 disc CD changer for $200 that works great for us. We have a Pioneer VSX-D811S which is comparable to the Onkyo model you listed and I'm currently using the analog outs of the cd changer. There are also two more models in this range that all come in under $400 - the Marantz CC-4000 and CC-4000SE (or something like that).

cheers,

--tom

Andrew Hershey

Auditioning
Tom, thank you very much for your reply. All the components of my home theater expedition seem to be falling into place! :) I have most of the main components now.
TV: Toshiba 57HDX82
DVD: Toshiba SD4800
CDP: To be determined
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR600
Fronts: Paradigm Studio 80's
Center: Paradigm Studio CC
Rears: Paradigm Studio 20's
Sub: SVS CPi 20-39
Cables: To be determined
Any serious flaws thus far?

Josh P

Agent
Have a look at some NAD CDP's. I don't know what the retail price is over in America but they do make some good budget gear, both single and multi CDP's.

BTW I know you mentioned getting a multi CDP, generally for the same price point, singles will perform better than multi's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks