What's new

speaking of vegetarians... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my wife just went off being a veg-head (for about 15 years), but the way she always phrased it was, "i won't eat anything that had a face."
smile.gif

another useless post brought to you by sugartastic...please move forward with your discussions.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> my wife just went off being a veg-head (for about 15 years), but the way she always phrased it was, "i won't eat anything that had a face."

So no heads of lettuce for her? What about ears of corn? Or old potatoes that have eyes? No finger foods of any kind, I assume.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Phoebe Buffet (Friends) also claimed not to eat "anything that had a face", until she got pregnant and suddenly had a "craving for meat".

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
chris - hmm...never thought of that. gonna have to bust that on her one of these days.

there goes sugartastic again ... bitin' other peoples lines....

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
In America , at least, from the later part of the 19th century until about WW2, most people who described themselves as "Vegetarians" would still eat fish. After that the term came to encompass all sentient animal life, but still allowed for eggs, cheese, milk, gelatin, and other non-meat animal products. The "Vegan" label came about after it was determined that secondary animal products were also inacceptible.

So if someone calls themselves a vegetarian and eats fish, they are either very old, old fashioned, or simply clueless.

as for the bug eating issue: Most vegetarians would say 'no' because they are non-plants. a few would allow them because they are without self-aware conscience. And almost all of them would think its too unappetizing to worry about anyway.
smile.gif

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
So a vegetarian would decide whether or not to eat the android Data based upon whether or not he is sentient or self-aware? I think I remember that episode.
smile.gif

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Rob Gardiner wrote (post #27):

So a vegetarian would decide whether or not to eat the android Data based upon whether or not he is sentient or self-aware? I think I remember that episode.

"Star Trek: Indi-ge-e-e-e-essstion: The Measure of a Meal"

By the way, your posts on the subject in this and the other thread on fish-eating are hilarious(!). Is that "cannibals and clowns" quote yours? I must use it some time.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Nah, the cannibal line is an old joke I read somewhere. Most of the rest are mine though. :) Feel free to use them as you see fit.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
quote:Put up with 5 minutes of wailing on about how bees are "exploited" by "corporate entities" only bent on "profits" with no consideration for the "feelings" of the bees and you'll want to perforate your own eardrums in order to make the noise stop.

Well, what I actually was getting at was... common logic would seem to indicate that Honey, being an animal byproduct, would NOT be vegan (as your above text would also indicate). However, I have met several vegans who make an exception for Honey, based upon the philosophy that the bees don't have to be placed in any unnatural state, or physically contacted or necessarily harmed to harvest honey.

While most of the major writers about veganism have come down against honey in the end, for a while, there was actaully some interesting debate on the nature of beekeeping and the overall intent of being a vegan in terms of anti cruelty and being less impactual being on earth.

Well, I guess interesting is a relative term: Interesting to me, as I personally find any culture or lifestyle outside of my own to be interesting and thought-provoking (where, it seems many round these parts only find them to be good ammunition for ridicule).

Anyway- I'm not personally vegetarian nor vegan, but I respect others who try to live life to an ideal that they feel comfortable with...

-V

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
quote:Well, I guess interesting is a relative term: Interesting to me, as I personally find any culture or lifestyle outside of my own to be interesting and thought-provoking (where, it seems many round these parts only find them to be good ammunition for ridicule).

But we're only having a bit of fun!
smile.gif

Can vegans eat eggplant?

Are amoebas victims of asexual harassment?

Some of the pictures found here will make one want to TURN vegetarian:

Gallery of Regrettable Food: Meat

The circumference of a pumpkin divided by its diameter = pumpkin pi.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
quote:Well, I guess interesting is a relative term: Interesting to me, as I personally find any culture or lifestyle outside of my own to be interesting and thought-provoking (where, it seems many round these parts only find them to be good ammunition for ridicule).

Look, I'm a software engineer, aka a computer scientist. My way of life and logic revolve around this. Some people find this interesting and thought provoking, some find it to be ammunition for ridicule. I myself do not understand the former (who the hell thinks algorithms are interesting besides other geeks???) and completely understand the latter. Yes, I'm a geek, my interests and concerns range from overbearing and boring to funny and amusing for mainstream people. The conversations I have amongst my peers make most normal people want to laugh hysterically right after they stab themselves in the ears to keep from hearing the miniutia we geeks are concerned with. I get this attitude from strangers, family and even girlfriends. My response is that I am justified in my views and so are the people I bore to death with my silly interests and way of life. What I don't do is expect them to understand, sympathize with or (god forbid) agree with my way of life. Many of whom we speak could take a lesson from this and lighten up.

That's it, I'm off my soapbox, except to say that funny is funny, no matter who takes offense, and debating about abstaining from eating honey due to "exploited" bees is goddamn F'in hilarious.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
quote:I personally find any culture or lifestyle outside of my own to be interesting and thought-provoking
have you been watching the series "taboo" on national geographic? cool show. i suspect you'll find it very interesting.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
"Many of whom we speak could take a lesson from this and lighten up"

yeah I wish everyone would take a bong hit or something once in a while.

many believe that just because they dont agree with it, that it will hurt them somehow. either its fear of the unknown or very low self esteem where they must ridicule others to take the spotlight off of them. either way, it makes for shitty conversations.

OK what about SPAM?? if you are a vegetarian, can you eat SPAM?? Since no one really knows what it is, can vegetarians eat it and still keep their 'vegee' status?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
quote:yeah I wish everyone would take a bong hit or something once in a while.

No way. I swear this is the cause of most of the "exploited" bee debates (or I sincerely hope it is the result of impaired minds). More bong hits, more silly conversations, more screeching minutia for my already damaged ears. No thanks!

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, I know its spiced ham, just , well I grew up on spam, ate it till I was 10. man knowing what that shit is will cause you to go vegetarian. just didnt want to see this great thread die, thats all
smile.gif

"More bong hits, more silly conversations, more screeching minutia for my already damaged ears. No thanks!"

y'know, you didnt have to read this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks