speaking of vegetarians...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Another thread went awry and ended up talking about vegetarianism. I recently stumbled across a whole new idea; Entomophagy I am not sure if it is compatible with vegetarianism, but I suspect it may be.

Here is a cookbook with what looks like tasty ideas. Maybe one of the culinary experts here will report back to us after giving it a go!

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Very interesting. And excellent presentation if all done by a 17 year old.

I imagine there are issues with safety and dietary sufficiency, but the phobia many people have of insects is the biggest problem.

BTW I think the vegetarians would have to regard insects as animals, unless they are completely bonkers.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

This actually brings up something I just can't understand. I know a few people who claim to be vegetarian, but still eat fish. Can anyone explain to me how someone could think that a cow is an animal, but a salmon isn't?

4. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'm a long-time proponent of entomophagy--have been ever since I bought my wife the Eat-A-Bug Cookbook a few years back. It's environmentally friendly, and is a great source of highly nutritious protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.

My two favorite entomophagic ingredients are crickets and mealworms. Both are rather versatile, capable of being used in a wide variety of dishes. Crickets have a delicious, nutty flavor, similar to almonds. They go great in stir-fry, on pizza, in baked goods, or in a party mix. Mealworms have a taste similar to bacon when sauteed in butter with a little garlic, and are great on salads, in other dishes, or when eaten straight. I buy mine at the local pet store, give them a few hours in a container with an apple or other fruit so that they clean out their system (the choice of fruit can actually enhance the flavor, but I've found apples to work best), euthanize them in the freezer (it's humane, and you don't have to worry about them squirming or hopping away while you're trying to cook), then they're ready to go. Highly recommended, and tasty to boot.

As far as vegetarians go, I've yet to get any real consensus on what the vegetarian stance on insects and bugs is. Some seem to be confused by the questions, and others I think are just disgusted at the idea, so they claim it goes against their principles in order to have to actually confront the possibility of knowingly eating bugs.

Before any asks, I'm 100% serious. While we haven't had any insects since our daughters were born (my wife wants to wait until their older in case there may be some issue with allergies, etc.), we used to snack on them quite regularly. You know it's time to take a break, though, when you walk into a pet store and your mouth starts watering.

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

[​IMG]

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Judging by how often the exact point is made, there must be a veritable ARMY of people wandering the countryside claiming to be vegetarian all the while consuming heaping helpings of sea creatures.

I swear that there is NEVER a discussion on Vegetarianism on the HTF without one or even twenty people chime in asking "How come so many people I know who say they are vegetarian eat fish?"

I'm thinking the reality of the situation is that saying you are a "meat-reducer" (the proper term for those who avoid red meat, but will sometimes have fish or poultry)-- simply doesn't have the same ring-- so those people out there who are opposed to red meat simply call themselves vegetarians because it's easier.

But, again, if I had a dime for everyone who looks to challenge the whole philosophy of vegetarianism by pointing out their friend who eats fish, I'd certainly have a nicer home theater!

Now if you want to have an interesting philosophical discussion, ask a vegan if they eat honey. Oh boy, prepare for a long one there. [​IMG]

-V

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Been there, done that.[​IMG] Put up with 5 minutes of wailing on about how bees are "exploited" by "corporate entities" only bent on "profits" with no consideration for the "feelings" of the bees and you'll want to perforate your own eardrums in order to make the noise stop. As if bees would not make honey anyway? Geez, they don't call them "worker bees" for nothing.[​IMG]

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Jeff,

What you're saying is that self-rigteous beings from the planet Vega (aka "Vegans") denounce the eating of honey, therefore putting untold millions of hard-working, productive "worker bees" out of jobs and onto the welfare rolls? How are the bees supposed to afford a decent college education for their children? (Oh right, the baby bees are supposed to grow up to be "workers" anyway.) [​IMG]

Does anyone remember that scene from Hitchcock's THE BIRDS? The little kid in the diner sits down to a big plate of fried chicken and nervously asks, "are the birds gonna eat us, mommy?"

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Rob,

I've got no qualms about someone who is a Vegan/vegetarian/Octo/Volvo/Ovoid anything or what they choose to eat, at long as they are healthy (I did know one Vegan that kept eliminating foods from her diet one by one because of fairly silly reasons like above, but I think she ceased being a Vegan and became what most call Anorexic). It's just that there are a few minority that think conversations about "exploiting" bees mean a fiddler's fig to mainstream people. Hell, I sometimes ask the server if my veal chop was milk fed and/or pen raised (and express great disappointment when it is not), why would anyone think I care about the plight of proletariat bees?

To be fair, these are a very small, yet vocal, minority of Vegans. Most are content to argue (and argue, and argue, and argue) this type of philosophical silliness amongst themselves. They may not eat meat, but they sure know how to consume their own.[​IMG]

Edit - for my terrible grammar and punctuation,.';

10. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

I see vegetanariism from a health standpoint rather than a political one. I know many hippies, many. most do not eat meat and many are vegans [there is a difference between vegan and vegetarian]. Ive learned alot of info about pesticides and organic foods and genetic mutatins and all that. doesnt stop me from eating meat, but stopped me from eating most processed food and foods with more or less unnatural ingredients.

as far as the typical vegetarian wearing leather and using non-humane makeup, and driving a gas gusler with no mufler, yeah Ive seen those. Some are hippie/vegetarians fot the image. maybe its to get the hippie drugs? yes you read it right, some people WANT that look! [and smell] and then later in life change cause they want a different image. But there are others who believe in it. who ARE hippies, who love mother earth and her creatures. the 'wannabes' give the real ones a bad name.

11. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> I know a few people who claim to be vegetarian, but still eat fish.

Wow, you could replace "vegetarian" with the name of any movement / religion / group and replace "eat fish" with some activity that contradicts the first part of the sentence.

I've yet to meet someone who eats fish who calls himself a vegetarian. That's like saying I'm a non-smoker, but I smoke 3 packs a week. (Maybe they mean they are a vegetarian when they are not eating fish at that minute in time.) People who avoid red meat but still eat fish or poultry usually don't label themselves- they just say "I don't eat red meat" or "I don't eat beef" or the like.

12. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

You mean there are people who only eat Octopus? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Reverend Doctor,

What do you call someone who claims to be vegetarian but sometimes eats barbequed brisket of beef sandwiches? :wink:

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Not to mention those that only drive (eat?) Volvos. Combine them and you have an Octo-Volvo.[​IMG]

Someone who knows good food when they taste (drive?) it.

14. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

That was pork! [​IMG]

Never assume anything. When I do have animal, it has to be all shredded or ground. I have a weird body part issue thing. I'm too much of a changeling to label myself anything.

"Now that there's freezers, reynolds wrap, seasoning....a pork chop is your friend"

15. Charlie C

"I've yet to meet someone who eats fish who calls himself a vegetarian. That's like saying I'm a non-smoker, but I smoke 3 packs a week."

well cmon, most vegetarians [that I know] that do eat fish eat fish like only once or twice a year. so its like saying you are a non-smoker but smoke at the christmas party, on your birthday and new years.

eating lots of fish nowadays is bad anyway cause of this mercury issue I keep reading about.

BTW:

I know a few people who claim to be gay, but still eat fish.

haha, couldnt resist

I know a few people who claim to be audiophiles, but still learn new things at HTF.

I know a personwho claims to be president of Zimbabwe, but still cant complete a full sentence.

I know a few people who claim to be entamophagin, but still eat fish.

16. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I know a person who has been a member since last June, but has not read the rules about political posts.[​IMG]

17. Charlie C

there, if anyone here cares enough about politics in Zimbabwe, then they can report me to the admins. that was a cheepo shot Jeff. i didnt take offence but cmon now.

BTW it says THIS June. AND PS ive been a member since feb 2001 actually.

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It did not say Zimbabwe before it was edited. Besides, I did not mean it to be a cheapshot, it was a tongue-in-cheek reminder that especially in a hot button thread about vege/vega/vulva/volvotarianism, politics is verboten (especially what some may consider cheapshot politics).

Oh BTW, the last June we experienced was June 2004. You would not say "this week" meaning the week of Sep. 19-25, you'd say "last week". [​IMG]

19. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Wow! I thought I was the only one!

20. Charlie C

ok no it did not say Zimbabwe, and you are right to remind US that politics is not a topic to discuss. just the way you did it was 'sneaky' [​IMG]

its all good man

PS you wouldnt way 'last tuesday' when talking about the 28th you'd say this paet tuesday. and I would say 'this June' since it happened this year. and 'last June' would mean 2003. Unless its 2005 already [​IMG]

semantics, tomato, tomato.

"a hot button thread about "

haha just funny because there is really no seriousness within this thread at all. its poking fun at everything we discuss.

"politics is verboten " some consider vege/vega/vulva/volvotarianism, a political platform, so whould we not discuss it? just trying to say that nothing here got offensive, and it was all kinda a joke to begin with. Entomophagy, shhesh. only one person here thought it was a serious post. "Before any asks, I'm 100% serious" sorry Scott Leopold. [​IMG]

Yes the above statement did not have Zimbabwe on it, but I hate all politicians, not just one party, FYI.

again, im not taking offence, just glad to be employed[​IMG]