What's new
World Wide Stereo

Speakers with the flatest response. (1 Viewer)

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to put together a list of speakers with a flat response in the anechoic chamber. Please put a graph that shows all peaks and dips if possible. With the thousand of speakers out thier I am trying to put together a list of speakers to audition for an upgrade and would like to start with those that add the least coloration. http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/speakermeasurements/ here is a link that already has quite a few speakers measured with some surprising results. The most exspensive speakers are not nearly as flat as some others.

728x90

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
NHT Evolution series was measured as one of the flatest speaker's stereophile had ever measured..Put them on the list if you want :)

JamesCB

Second Unit
B&W Nautilus (the ones that look like a big snail shell) have a pretty flat response:

25Hz - 20kHz ± 0.5dB on reference axis

and

-6dB at 10Hz and 25kHz

Probably a little expensive, though:) .

James

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Will, there was an article in Stereophile a little while ago where they published corrected response curves for about 70 high end speakers, categorizing them based on their variation from flatness. I will try to find it.

You are likely to find the most accurate on axis response in an active or digitally controlled studio monitor.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Since when does a flat frequency response indicate there is no coloration? And then how do you deal with probable room augementation for a speaker that's got both a flat FR and designed for a flat power response over a wide dispersion axis which will result in a rising top end in a real environment?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
On second thought, I'd say just forget looking for speakers with flat frequency responses and listen to a bunch of good ones in your price range, to see which coloration you like most. :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I assume you mean available speakers? JBL S38's are some of the flattest ever. As stated by others, this can be a good thing or a bad thing ya know.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
And freq is only ONE thing, it alone doesn't accurately describe the sound. A lot of other things are going on, and subjectively speaking people have different preferences, which you will discover the best for you by LISTENING.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have to agree with everyone, flat response alone does not tell you if you will like a speaker. Mine are +/-1.2 across their range and I love them, but that response had absolutely nothing to do with why I purchased them.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Also, most specified frequency responses are baloney. Claims such as +/-1db or +/-1.5db are usually only valid when smoothing is applied to the actual frequency response (1/6th, or even 1/3rd octave). I don't think there is a consensus on how well our ears detect narrowband anomalies... it's just another reason to take frequency response specs with a grain of salt.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Not even to mention that have you measured the freq response of your room? Lol. Don't ever do that if you think flat speaker response is a good goal. Put them in a room, and watch your response curves turn into an EKG line...... :b

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I say the same thing...This stuff is all ear then price specific. I might say I like a bright speaker and to most Klipsh comes to mind. If a person bought on that statement or measurement alone he may get home and wind up hating his investment. I am assuming your talking pro or semi pro speakers over say 1K.

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
I plan to do a lot of listening but with so many brands and models out thier I plan to start by the specs. With regards to room response it should be easier to do room corrections if the room is the only thing you have to take into account and not big dips or boosts in the speaker freq.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's a reasonably valid thought Will. All the brands that were mentioned are worth your time in auditioning. Fletcher and Munson might have something to say about that though Michael, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks